Discontinued Drill sharpener was what I needed

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 04-15-2017 12:09 AM 2506 views 2 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Discontinued Drill sharpener was what I needed Discontinued Drill sharpener was what I needed Discontinued Drill sharpener was what I needed Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been wanting to sharpen all of my old drills. I’ve got a lot of them and it’s getting to the point that I’m down to choosing the least dull of all my dull drills. Lots of burning wood and poor results on metal. I was left with the choices of getting a drill sharpener or buying more new drills. These are regular twist drills, from very small ones up to half inch. Not drills like forstner bits.

I’ve had not so good results trying to sharpen them freehand on a grinder or with a file. So I began looking. Yes there’s the Drill Doctor type sharpeners but the aren’t inexpensive and from reviews and online sources they get mixed reviews. One sharpener I found that a lot of people liked was an old Craftsman manual sharpener. Not made any longer but a copy made by General tools exists. The General tools one (China I assume) gets mixed reviews but the old discontinued Craftsman is pretty well liked.

I found a lot of them on Ebay for about $15 – $24 depending on shipping costs. I searched them and found one that looked in like new condition and got here for about $22 with shipping. Yesterday I made a new stand for my grinder and today I mounted the drill sharpener and sharpened a bunch of drills. There are detailed directions on Youtube.

The sharpener consists of a drill holder with a tooth at the end that helps line the drill in the correct orientation to sharpen both bevels of a drill.

A thumbwheel moves the drill forward as you swivel the drill face back and forth in an arc to put a curved bevel on the business end of the drill. A tilt gauge lets you lock the drill at four different angles. (see top pictures)

I must say that any drill above 1/8th inch will sharpen just like factory sharp. It’s easy to do and seems rather foolproof considering I was successful with a dozen drills from 3/16 ths to 1/2 inch. Each drill was sharp and I tried a few of them just to make sure I didn’t imagine it. I am able to restore many of my drills instead of buying new ones or settling with dull ones. The twenty dollar gadget will save me many times more than that.

The reason for four stars is that it doesn’t handle drills about an 1/8th inch or less. It might also be due to the coarseness of my grinding wheel. But the tooth that locks them in place won’t engage well with tiny drills. I guess I’ll purchase a few sizes in bulk.

The following video while not that well made shows the unit in action and the results along with some more information about it. So, if you’ve got a grinder and about twenty bucks. Look on Ebay. I recommend this device.

View on YouTube

#1 posted 04-15-2017 05:00 PM

Thank you for this post. After reading this & watching the video. Got on Ebay & got me a 6677. All kind of prices, got mine for $24.99 w/shipping. One I got looks rust free. I hope.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#2 posted 04-15-2017 11:16 PM

That’s a great and affordable way to keep your twist drills for life.

Do invest in a finer grit AO like a Norton white, it will make things a lot smoother and even sharper. You will need to be more careful about heat buildup with w finer grit, but I have found the contact time is minimal so have never burnt a bit.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#3 posted 04-16-2017 12:04 AM

I bought one of these last year but I use a sandpaper disk sander instead of a grinder wheel and it worked just fine.
Stays cooler with little danger of burning the bit.

#4 posted 04-16-2017 12:35 AM

Stays cooler with little danger of burning the bit.

- Combo Prof

What grit sandpaper do you use?

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#5 posted 04-17-2017 12:31 AM

Good find Daniel, thanks for the write up and the video.

Reprint of the instruction manual if anyone needs it.

Just found another on ebay, it will need a little clean up but it was cheap enough. I plan to spin a sanding disc on on my wood lathe and mount this on some ply that will attache to the bed.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

#6 posted 04-17-2017 01:10 AM

#7 posted 04-17-2017 01:10 AM

I used P100 grit sandpaper, but only because I had it in 6 inch round disks with a sticky back.

#8 posted 04-17-2017 01:56 AM

Thank you Don.

“Reprint of the instruction manual if anyone needs it.”

#9 posted 04-17-2017 03:52 AM

Great purchase

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#10 posted 04-19-2017 12:13 AM

My combination drill bit sharpening station and disk sander:

#11 posted 04-19-2017 08:42 PM

BTW. I got mine for US $5.50 + US $14.21 S.H. on a Last minute ebay auction, complete with original box and instructions. Later I saw one at a yard sale, where I could have got sharpening tool plus the grinder for $15. Oh well. So anyway there are indeed plenty out there. I got mine because I forced into buying 20 lbs or so of used drill bits. I have a ton now but only have of them are sharpened. After the first 200 you are ready to do something else. But the good news you get much faster at the sharpening the more bits you do. LOL.

#12 posted 04-19-2017 08:51 PM

- Combo Prof

What I’m doing is picking out what looks like the best quality of each size bit that I need. I make a set from that and someday when they get worn down (It’ll take awhile) I’ll sharpen more. I wish it worked well for small drills.

#13 posted 04-20-2017 12:56 AM

What Happened for me is that I got some longer bits in sizes that I needed by sharpening up someone else’s castoffs.
Good deal. But I had a ton of rusty bits so I went to town polishing and sharpening, until I was worn out. I have a ton more to go. But thats a good Idea to make up sets of bits of different sizes. Extra bits can be turned into other tools. I wish it worked for auger twist bits.

#14 posted 04-20-2017 02:34 AM

What Happened for me is that I got some longer bits in sizes that I needed by sharpening up someone else s castoffs.

- Combo Prof

Great story…. btw. a product called evapo-rust will literally remove all the rust from anything that soaks in it.

#15 posted 04-20-2017 03:16 AM

- Craftsman on the lake

I have a 5-gallon drum of it. Problem with evapo rust is that it leaves a black residue you have to clean or polish off.