To Dado or Not to Dado? What a question!

Review by nmkidd posted 10-06-2009 07:47 AM 6728 views 4 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
To Dado or Not to Dado? What a question! To Dado or Not to Dado? What a question! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Oshlun SDS-0630 6” Stacked Dado Blade Set is the first dado blades I have owned. The set fits on a 5/8” diameter arbor and features the following:

2 – outside blades, 1/8” by 30 tooth (5 groups of 6)
6 – full body 5 tooth chippers comprised of 4 ea 1/8”, 1 ea 1/16” and 1 ea 3/32”
8 – brass shims in pairs ranging from .005” to .020” in 005” increments
The set will expand from 1/4” to 29/32”
All the teeth are C-4 micrograin carbide
Each blade and shim is marked for easy identification
Instruction sheet complete with a Table for stacking blades to the common sizes.

I purchased this set from Rockler for $69.99 (shipping included), also available at Amazon. After reading many reviews and comments, I opted for a 6” set of blades, mostly because my table saw is a 120v, 15 amp, 1.5 hp unit and it was conducive to my wallet.

The set comes packaged in a rather sturdy cardboard storage box with multiple layers of hi density foam between the blades. All the blades and shims were coated with a rust preventative substance which was easily removed with my handy can of acetone. The instruction sheet was clear and precise (something that this novice really needs) with step by step guidance for assembling the blades.

After installing the blades, ensuring all the teeth were oriented properly and double checking the security of the arbor nut, it was time for the big test. Plugging in the saw and stepping to the side, I turned on the power…....nothing flew off or came apart which was of great concern after reading of such instances on LJs. There was no noticeable vibration or wobble. Having assured myself that all was well, I proceeded to cut a few dadoes of varying depth in some scrap wood.

I used a 2×4, an old piece of 3/4” plywood and a piece of 3/4” pressboard (one day I’ll learn its real name). All cuts came out with nice smooth bottoms and sides. The plywood did have some entrance/exit wounds, i.e. splintering, but I attribute that to the age of the wood and it really didn’t have smooth edges. (As soon as I figure out Photobucket, pix of my cut attempts to follow.) The blades cut through the wood with little effort and no noticeable strain on the saw.

Practice cuts shown below

Particle Board

Old Plywood

Pine 2×4

Two weeks ago. I didn’t even know what a dado was and now I’ve managed to cut a few near perfect (if not perfect) dadoes the first time out. Amazing, considering I really am a novice. Based on the cost compared to other brands, quality of the product, the ease of installing and my ability to utilize it, I believe it is a worthy product and give it a 5 star rating.

As can be seen in the pix above, I still need to fabricate a dado insert, as none are available for my saw.

Looks like I’ll be dadoing for many a year to come.

To Dado or Not to Dado? What a question!

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

View FatScratch's profile

FatScratch

189 posts in 2021 days

#1 posted 10-06-2009 01:58 PM

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing this set for a while. It’s good to know it performs well.

5386 posts in 1951 days

#2 posted 10-06-2009 03:21 PM

I have that set, got mine a bunch cheaper when Rockler had them on DEEP sale. (Club discounts and all came to something like $40.00). I walked into my Rockler looking for the Freud like so many have bragged about. I am completely satisfied with the Oshlun, and like the chippers a lot better than the Freud…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Fireguy's profile

Fireguy

132 posts in 1954 days

#3 posted 10-06-2009 03:26 PM

I have also been looking at this set because of the price and good reviews, now I guess I should go get one.

What is the max depth of cut with the 6” set?

Alex

-- Alex

#4 posted 10-06-2009 04:08 PM

Max depth on my saw is approximately 1 1/16”, it may vary a tad with different table saws. I don’t think I’ll ever need anything deeper…but there is always ye olde chisel and mallet.

View patron's profile

patron

13142 posts in 2060 days

#5 posted 10-06-2009 05:03 PM

glad you got this worked out ,
now would you buy a 52” wide-belt , double belt with platen and laser automatic height adjustment sander ,
( and all the grits for it ) ?
i need to sand large things , like doors and tabletops ,
and just using yours would save me a trip to albuquerque .
we can hinge two opposite walls of your shop , to use it !
see if you can find one for around $100.00 , and i’ll chip in $ 20.00 to cover the shipping cost !

#6 posted 10-06-2009 05:11 PM

thanks for the review

View Fireguy's profile

Fireguy

132 posts in 1954 days

#7 posted 10-06-2009 05:11 PM

I can’t see any need for more than 1 1/16” for anything I do so I will go with the 6” and save $20 or so. Thanks for the info.

Alex

-- Alex

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#8 posted 10-06-2009 05:14 PM

impressive! Thanks for the review.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#9 posted 10-06-2009 05:55 PM

I am in the market for a set also, and have a saw with similar specs. I am planning to convert it to 220 volts to cut down amperage draw when I have my sawdust collector running. I may convert the dust collector also.

Anyone able to comment on the Freud vs the Oshlun? Or just the Freud alone. I doubt anyone would have experience with both.

After reading this thread, I did a couple of searches, and got a wide array of choices in Freud alone, with tremendous price variations. A thread here at Lumberjocks, http://lumberjocks.com/topics/6240#reply-62939, also supported the Oshlun, and the Freud SD208.

The price difference, shipping not considered is $85 for the Freud SD206, and $70 for the Oshlun 6”, not too much.

And what about the premium Freud choices, such as the SD606 or SD506. Hmmmmm, its got my head spinning, need more coffee….....

HELP!

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

#10 posted 10-06-2009 07:07 PM

Nice review Doug.

I have the basic Freud 8” dado set which I paid about $90 for. It is good quality and does a nice job. It has
two full outer blades and from 4 to 6 chippers. I forget. My saw has a short arbor so I cannot use more than about 3 of them.

The chippers tend to leave a rough bottom. It looks like the Oshlun leaves a much cleaner bottom. Freud sells
something they target toward making box joints which is suppose to leave a cleaner bottom. I don’t know if it uses chippers or full blades like the Oshlun set.

I have found a few instances where I really needed the 8” set. I was building a potting bench for my wife and needed to notch out the side of several redwood 2×4’s to 1.5” (to accept another 2×4) and didn’t have the reach with the 6” set that I already owned. This is how I got permission to buy the 8” set. ;)

Tom

#11 posted 10-06-2009 07:23 PM

Thanks Tom. I am leaning towards the Oshlun, everything considered. Doug, or anyone else, did the Oshlun have the proper shims and stuff to make a dado for 1/2” or 3/4” ply, which I measure at about 15/32 and 23/32, or about 1/32 narrow? I really don’t know much about dado sets, so this may be a unneccessary question.

View Joe's profile

Joe

#12 posted 10-06-2009 08:23 PM

Good review Doug. I have been looking at the Oshlun for a while now. I think you made up my mind.

-- Senior Chief

#13 posted 10-06-2009 10:09 PM

Jim…...
The set comes with shims and a 3/32” cutter which will, in some combination, accommodate the under size plywood. All blades/cutters/shims are listed in above review.

#14 posted 10-06-2009 11:17 PM

Thanks Doug.

I kinda assumed that was the case, but I noticed some sets made a special point about it. Good review, I think I will give them a whirl. Since I will be replumbing my saw for 220 (as I recall that can be done with my motor), I think I’ll go for the 8” re Tom’s comment.

My wife already has me building outdoor items….....in her mind…......you know….after I finish the items selected in the Art’s and Craft’s book she gave me. I think she selected the first 5 items listed…end tables, chairs, etc. Right. I looked at it, and toward the back were book ends. Yup. That will be my first real project. (She gave me the book years ago, prodding me to get into woodworking, which I am just now doing, at least as a real hobby).

Jim

#15 posted 10-07-2009 06:50 AM

Jim..
the 8” Oshlun set is available at Amazon for $79.99 with free shipping….Rockler is $89.99 plus shipping, and Tool King $72.95 plus shipping. Amazon by far best deal. Good luck!