Premium Saws Indeed

Review by taylodr posted 1752 days ago 4029 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Premium Saws Indeed Premium Saws Indeed Premium Saws Indeed Click the pictures to enlarge them

So when I first saw the Veritas Dovetail saw and it’s price – I wanted it. I endlessly searched everywhere on the internet for reviews and came up with just a few. Everywhere said “They get great reviews, but I’m not sure…” We I was sold, I wanted to try it out.

I never bought it.

I said if they had more than one, a matched set or something, that I would get one.

Well, they do now.

I figured for a little more than the price of one nice dovetail saw ($159), how could I go wrong with a 14 TPI Dovetail Saw, a 20 TPI Dovetail Saw, and a 16 TPI Crosscut Saw? So I got them.

They came today, and I have used the crosscut saw already. I am by no means a professional sawyer, but I have studied as much as possible, and made plenty of project with my cheap dovetail saw (Crown) and my cheap Japanese pull saws. This saw is definitely in a different league.

I had to make two small pieces to repair a bed frame, so I chose hard maple. The saw started easily and cut great. In fact, this is the first time I have picked up a saw and cut cleanly through my pencil mark with ease. I was blown away. It is almost like sawing accurately is easy.

As for the saws themselves, the fit and finish is great. The look is different, but I think they look good. The handles are beautiful, and very comfortable.

I will have to follow up when I get a chance to put the other saws to the test, but if they cut anything like the crosscut saw, I am in for a real treat.

I am definitely happy with the purchase.

-- Dustin

View taylodr's profile

taylodr

34 posts in 1931 days

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I purchased the 14 tpi Dovetail Saw Item 05T0501 back in April and it’s a great saw, the other two have come out since and I plan on getting them soon. If you want a spare handle, made by Lee Valley, a guys been selling them on eBay from time to time I picked up one in case I have an accident with one I have.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View KayBee's profile

KayBee

Thanks for the review. If you want a new handle, Lee Valley has the templates online. Go to their website in the “item search” , enter ‘handle template’ and get templates for Veritas and Stanley planes too.

-- Karen - a little bit of stupid goes a long way

View bigike's profile

bigike

these saws are nice i want to get a pair myself i just like the look but if they make me a better woodworker thats all good too cuz i can use some skill sharpening on my sawing tech. dovetails too.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1939 days

I bought the dovetail saw several months ago and it is one heck of a saw. It has a nice balanced weight and is a pleasure to use. It may not be a heirloom saw but it is certainly a users saw.

-- Marc

View Woodfix's profile

Woodfix

Great review, I am stilling plodding along with an ancient but serviceable dovetail saw. I will have to look at my priority purchase list again.

Doug

-- Living is a constant gamble, life is about working the odds in your favour

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

I was ready to pull the trigger on a LN when I saw this one being used at a demonstration for hand cut dovetails. At about half the price you can’t go wrong. I ordered one when I returned home. I have never used a LN dovetail saw, but I can’t imagine anything cutting better than this saw. I will being adding the other two to the collection.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View dreadhead's profile

dreadhead

28 posts in 1964 days

I just ordered the pair of these saws, and I find my self checking the package tracker every hour, cant wait for them to come :)

-- - Marco

View drewnahant's profile

drewnahant

I just got the fine dovetail and crosscut saw in the mail yesterday, and played with them today, I couldnt be happier. I have never used any other premium dovetail saws, but I cannot imagine them being better than this, or at least not nearly enough to justify the price difference. I used them today to do a coupel sets of dovetails, and to shoulder some tennons. They worked perfectly, they were very comfortable, and they are so beautiful, I think I’m going to be building a display case just for them, with room for the coarse dovetail saw of course.