MASTERFORCE 18" Scroll Saw with Rotary Attachment

Review by Raymond posted 10-06-2009 04:27 AM 15568 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MASTERFORCE 18" Scroll Saw with Rotary Attachment MASTERFORCE 18" Scroll Saw with Rotary Attachment MASTERFORCE 18" Scroll Saw with Rotary Attachment Click the pictures to enlarge them

The other day I went to use my trusty Wilton Scroll Saw, went to turn it on and nothing…After checking the usual. Yes it was plugged iin. My nose told me something was wrong. There was that smell we all know, the smell of a burnt controller board. And yes it was toast. So off to Menards to get a replacement one. When what do I see but this Masterforce 18” Scroll Saw. So after poking and prodding it I load up my cart and off to home I go. The saw seams built very rugged it’s an 18” saw, 2” depth of cut variable speed with a left and right tilting table. Tilting is done by rotating a knob that engages a gear, there is a lock handle once the desired angle is set. The motor is a 2 amp 120 v ac motor, with an accessory shaft that can be used either hand held or placed in the accessory table giving the tool the ability to do routing or sanding. The accessory tool is a flexiable shaft tool with a 1/4chuck. Speed range on the accessory tool is 1100 to 4500 rpm, and blade speed is 400 to 1600 spm. Blade stroke is 3/4 inch. The saw is complete with buiilt in blower not a cheep hose but a flexible ball socket tubing, with an LED light built into to blower tube so the light is placed right on the cut. My first impression of the saw is impressive, time will tell as I put it though it’s paces. Price was 159.99 on sale regulary 199.99. It has an outstanding 5 year warentee if it breaks take it back to Menards with your reciept and walk out with a new one.

Looks like a winner to me

I’ll keep you posted

View Trikzter's profile

Trikzter

42 posts in 2001 days

#1 posted 10-06-2009 05:29 AM

Thanks for the review, Ray. I’m studying on a scroll saw on the cheap. I will check em out next time I go to Menard’s.

-- Rick... A tree knows more about wood then I do.

View PetVet's profile

PetVet

#2 posted 10-06-2009 05:31 PM

Thanks for the review Ray. Do you know of any other source for these other than Menard’s?

-- Rich in Richmond -- Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

#3 posted 10-06-2009 08:28 PM

Hi there Rich, not that I am aware of. I will look into it. I know the manual has a 1-800 number for service so I will get that for you. They might be able to let you know where else you can purchase the saw.

View UnclePhil's profile

UnclePhil

#4 posted 10-16-2009 02:54 PM

Hello Guys, you may be able to order the saw from Menards and have it shipped, if you don’t have one close enough to you.

View Turnkeyjack's profile

Turnkeyjack

#5 posted 12-13-2009 06:22 PM

Please read my review of this saw. If you buy one you are in for a lot of frustration, breaking plastic handles, lack of sources for replacement parts. etc.

-- Jack, Wisconsin, jackt@centurytel.net

#6 posted 08-16-2010 03:16 PM

Hi, all
I just stumbled across this saw at Menards for $139 and as a novice, newbie, low/light use hobbyist and cheap sob I thought it offered a lot of bang for the buck.
Googling it led me here, what a nice site

I know this thread is old, but anybody got any updates good or bad on this saw?

I’m balancing the sturdy look and feel and bells/whistles of this saw, Ray’s report of 5 year replacement vs Turnkeyjack’s less than glowing opinion

thanks in advance

#7 posted 08-16-2010 04:45 PM

UPDATE I have been using the saw for some time and now and have had no issues with it at all. I would say the the only complaint that I might have is the accessory table that the rotory tool attaches to. You have to have a really long shaft on a router bit to make any use of the table. I have used it with a router bits, but with only limited success. It does however work great with a roto zip cutter and sanding drums. The scroll saw was on sale at Menards for 139.99 the last time I checked. So in my opinion it’s still a good buy. Great warentee, and some cool features.

#8 posted 08-17-2010 01:13 AM

thanks, Ray, you done inspired me :)

I picked it up this afternoon, will set it up tomorrow (time allowing), tweak, play with and push it and put up another review

a win-win, got a good saw (hopefully) at a great price and found a great forum

life is good

View BFMagnuson's profile

BFMagnuson

#9 posted 02-05-2011 09:05 PM

Ray have you found a manual? I got a masterforce scrollsaw on clearance without the rotary attachement.
If you could let me know where you got yours I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

BFMagnuson

View unicornlady's profile

#10 posted 12-18-2011 05:36 AM

I recently purchased this scroll saw after my other one quit on me. I have been using it and learning with it, as with any relationship, the ups and downs. My problem is, on the box it says read instruction manual for questions. There is no manual. Can some one give me a phone number or address ,that I can rcall or right to them to request a manual? With the work I have done with it now, I really like it. The most important thing that I noticed above my other saw, is the quiet. It is not a very noisy saw.

View unicornlady's profile

#11 posted 12-18-2011 05:30 PM

Ray if you want to send me your email address then I can email you. thanks

#12 posted 12-18-2011 07:12 PM

unicornlady
here’s all the contact info I have
(888)315-3080 or (847) 4299263
partsandservice@greatlakestee.com

the center is in Elgin Illinois.
when I bought the saw in July of 2010, it had a couple of minor issues (broken plastic dust port, and crummy little blade change adjustment knobs. I called and the guy was knowledgeable, english speaking :) and on the spot about sending new parts.

I promised a review, and now it’s a year and a half later, so here it is :)

it’s a sturdy beast, quiet and vibration free even sitting loose on a table.

the “light” is useless, a 1 led cosmetic

the dustblower tube is useless and cosmetic as are most, but the gooseneck tube is handy to tape tubing from my aquarium pump

the rotary shaft and table are functional but way to small and poorly placed to do much with

the rack and pinion table tilt mechanism is a little choppy but workable. and don’t count on “zero”, reset it with a square.

for fretwork or anything that requires frequent blade change, it’s ok but not pro level like a Dewalt or Excalibur

all in all
I’ve probably logged about 50 hours (a wild guess) on the machine cutting everything from 1/8” ply to 1.5” hardwood and have had no problems. Like I said, I got it on sale and would’nt sell it back even at the current price ($180)