Economical Brad Nailer

Review by nmkidd posted 10-05-2009 07:02 PM 2774 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Economical Brad Nailer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bostich BT200k 18 Gauge Pneumatic Brad Nailer. The unit came with a case, instructions and warranty. The housing is magnesium and is very lite weight (listed at 6 lbs). It is also oil free, which I find to be a plus. There is an adjustable depth control and a sequential trip mechanism. Recommended air pressure is 70psi to 120 psi. It will shoot brads from 5/8” to 2”.

This is a factory reconditioned item and comes with a 1 year warranty. Cost was $34.99 including shipping from Amazon or $39.99 plus shipping from Tool King. It is also being sold new at Lowes for $99.95 plus tax.

I received my nailer in 4 days from Amazon. Even though this is a reconditioned unit, it looked brand new. After reading the instructions…...I loaded up the nailer…......set the compressor for about 75 psi and went for it. After a few practice shots, I played with the depth settings and found that it works very effectively. As a result of the previous practice shots, I settled on a pressure of 90 psi…....it seems that this is a good pressure for all sizes I tried, which ranged from 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches. I put in about 75 -100 brads on some paneling and afterward my curious teenager fired about 200 brads into some scrap pine and oak. Unit set all at the predetermined depth and functioned well with no jams.

The sequential trip mechanism is a nice feature, the unit will not fire unless the trip is against the material surface, in other words, you can pull the trigger all day long and nothing will happen (which is good with a teenager around). Also, if the trigger is pulled and held then the unit placed on the material, depressing the trip, it will not fire.

This is my first nailer and it will do what I need to be done. Besides. the price is right!!

(I know there was a review on this unit quite awhile back, but I wanted to elaborate on some of it’s features).

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#1 posted 10-05-2009 07:07 PM

I have a number of Bostitch nailers staplers and in different gauges.I too swear by them they are really very good, and I would recommend them without hesitation.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View patron's profile

patron

13034 posts in 1994 days

#2 posted 10-05-2009 07:29 PM

you nailed it on this one , doug .
( well at least bradded it ) !

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5085 posts in 1961 days

#3 posted 10-05-2009 08:05 PM

The Bostitch is an excellent tool. I have the Bostitch16 gague finish nailer and the 18 gague Milwaukee brad nailer and find both to be faultless and smooth operating tools. However, I did not get as good of a price as you did…I paid retail for both..ouch!

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#4 posted 10-05-2009 08:54 PM

I have the previous model of the brad nailer without the sequential setting. It has been a great tool and I use it for many things. It has not let me down at all. Good review.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View Wudbutcher's profile

Wudbutcher

#5 posted 10-05-2009 10:05 PM

I have the same Bostich bought thru amazon. Great price and has never let me down..

-- Big Steve

#6 posted 10-05-2009 11:04 PM

Doug, this is a nice review. I have this same brad nailer and have used it for years without any problems at all. The only thing about it was the magnetic strip came off shortly after I bought it but a little super glue took care of the issue and it has performed like a champ.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#7 posted 10-06-2009 02:25 AM

I have several of the Bostich nailers and no problems here.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#8 posted 10-06-2009 02:30 AM

I use this same brad gun day in and day out at work. Have used it now for 3 years and never had a misfire or jam. Great brad nailer.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View 10Feettall's profile

10Feettall

#9 posted 10-27-2009 06:25 AM

After reading this review, I decided to upgrade my 18 gauge gun because it would only accept 1 1/4” brads. I ordered this Bostich online for $33.23 delivered to my door. It arrived in a nice case and looked just like new. Works fine, but it has jammed a couple of times and you need to use an Allen wrench to remove the jammed brad, where my 16 gauge Porter Cable has a handy quick release. Very nice tool for the money.

-- Eagan, MN

112083 posts in 2230 days

#10 posted 10-27-2009 07:33 AM

thanks for the review

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1577 posts in 1944 days

#11 posted 12-02-2009 06:44 PM

A heads-up. These are on tooliday.com today (12-2-09) for $26.99+$5 shipping.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#12 posted 01-03-2010 06:30 PM

Tooliday has it up again today, FWI. For those interested in this, it looks like Amazon carries the reconditioned one as well for about $5 more (assuming you use prime shipping), otherwise you’ll just have to wait till next time. It has been added to my wishlist, now I just need to find a cheap compressor on Craigslist my wife will let me buy… :D

The only worrisome thing about this is the fact that there appears to be a large supply of factory reconditioned units. Hopefully that just means they had an early production issue that they sorted out, and now we get to reap the benefits of the -2 in the model number.