Excellent budget blade!

Review by Mike Gager posted 1781 days ago 3049 views 2 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent budget blade! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just recently bought this blade after reading some of the reviews on the home depot website. I am very satisfied with it and think its an excellent choice for someone on a budget wanting a nice cutting blade. I havent used any of the high end blades such as the forrest woodworker2 but i would be mighty surprised if they cut that much better then this blade does. I tried it on red oak, pine, douglas fir, MDF, and particle board melamine and it left a super smooth cut in all of them with no tear out on both rip and crosscuts.

For $39.95 i think its a pretty good deal

i plan on getting one of ridgids 90 tooth blades for my miter saw when i get some extra cash

the following is from HDs website

RIDGID 10 In. x 50 Tooth Combination Saw Blade
Model # R1050C
T3 Titanium coating technology maximizes tool performance protecting the from heat and corrosion, while extending saw blade cutting life.
LASER CUT REDUCED VIBRATION TECHNOLOGY delivers quiet performance while reducing vibration
LARGE MICROGRAIN TITANIUM CARBIDE provides maximum cutting life and resharpenings.
ENGINEERED TENSIONING keeps the blade running true and flat.
OVERSIZED GULLET DESIGN maximizes chip removal while cutting for a more precise cut.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

View rtb's profile

rtb

I’ve been using this blade for over a year for everything and can not find a single fault with it. I could’n quite make the stretch to the high end blades and don’t know now that I will ever even try.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

NBeener

This is what I’m running on my (new) Bosch 4100, and what I WAS running on my (kicked to the curb) little Ryobi.

I love it … BUT … do get a bit more tear-out than I’d like on Baltic Birch ply (of COURSE, that’s what I’m working with for two projects!).

Do I NEED to use a sacrificial board underneath the to-be-cut piece … or … step up to a specialty blade for the finish ply work … or … is it likely I’m doing something wrong?

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

NBeener…Tape your cuts that will help some…

I have this blade and love it…but I am still thinking about getting a dedicated rip for those special occasions.

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

NBeener

Plain old masking tape? No downside….. Thanks.

View jerryz's profile

jerryz

164 posts in 1904 days

NBeener, do you have a zero clearance insert on your saw? that will make a huge impact when cutting plywood material as the insert acts as a backup to the material to the side of the cut.
The tape trick I have used when cutting melamine countertops and it works, you still can have some chip-out however.

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

not regular masking tape…use the blue stuff…regular might mess up your veneer…

Jerry: Got a ZCI.

Just did the cut on it, last week, but haven’t tackled any more of the Birch with it, since. Looking forward to some improvement. Thanks.

depictureboy: Got it, and thanks, on the blue painter’s tape. Got a whole roll laying around. Thanks.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I have one of these blades and love!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

No need for backing board or tape. Use the old school trick. lower your saw blade so that only about 1/16 or so is sticking out of table. then run your sheet backward. then raise the saw blade to cut level and do regular forward cut. No tear out this way.

some super high end table saws have a second small saw blade that runs opposite of the main blade just for that purpose.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View MOJOE's profile

MOJOE

I replaced my factory blade with a RIDGID from Home Depot as well. I have been very satisified with it. Have most recently run a fair amount of hard maple across it, and no troubles.

-- Measuring twice and cutting once only works if you read the tape correctly!

112010 posts in 2203 days

good review

View Ryan Brown's profile

Ryan Brown

Wood Magazine just gave this blade top marks for this price point.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem. Roanoke, VA

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

For plywood I use the Freud blades that have an excellent rating for plywood. As near to no tear out that I have seen from any blade.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

NBeener

DaveH: the one I had on my to-buy list is called

“Freud LU80R Ultimate Plywood and Melamine Blade”

Sound familiar?

I’ll try the pre-saw @ 1/16” trick first, but hold the Freud as a Plan B.

-- -- Neil

” then run your sheet backward” …sounds like an accident waiting to happen ! : (

Must be assuming that you have no blade guard , splitter or riving knife installed on your saw. Stick with a ZCI made with the blade that you’re using to cut with and tape if still necessary. Also , you might want to adjust your feed rate.