Grizzly G9849 Magnetic Base/Dial Indicator Combo

Review by ChunkyC posted 1759 days ago 4593 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G9849 Magnetic Base/Dial Indicator Combo Grizzly G9849 Magnetic Base/Dial Indicator Combo No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased one of these to fine tune my tools, mostly my table saw and miter saw.

Pros:
Cost. This costs less than $22 from Amazon.

Comes with a plastic storage case. (TIP: Remember how it’s packed BEFORE you remove it for the first time. It’s a bear getting the lid to close if you miss this)

There are two arms that you can adjust to get the dial indicator into about any position.

A very strong magnet with an on off switch.

Cons:
There are two arms that you can adjust to get the dial indicator into about any position except directly out the end of the arm. The dial has to mounted in such a way as to always be perpendicular to the arm.

The dial is very difficult to get tight so that it stays put. I did touch up the dial with a bit of sandpaper to remove the paint. That seems to have help some.

The arms move way too much. Mine has a tendency to move 0.004” – .006”. I believe this comes from the micro adjustment portion. The micro adjustment is nothing more than a spring loaded device that you can move in or out to zero the dial.

The dial doesn’t have a zero adjustment on it. Maybe none do, but it’s something that I would rather have than the spring loaded zero adjustment.

No manual. There’s a knob on the side of the dial that I can’t figure out what it does. Any idea?

The bottom line, if you’re looking for dead on accuracy, then look for a Starrett of similar. For the cost, it does ok.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

ChunkyC

Update:

From Grizz’s site: http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g1479_m.pdf

“There’s a knob on the side of the dial that I can’t figure out what it does. Any idea?”

Dial Face Ring Lock Nut.

Apparently there is a zero adjustment on the dial!

View Bothus's profile

Bothus

I’m glad you figured out what that knob was for.

I think the base is the same one I have.

I also found the dial attachment screw coming loose. It must be a common problem.

Thanks for the review. You did a good job.

Bothus

-- Jerry Boshear, Professional Kitchen Designer, amature woodworker.

View Northerner's profile

Northerner

thats a good tip, its amazing how sometimes there is only one way for a tool to go back into a case.

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

FYI – I’ve had one of these for a couple of years and had no problem with it.
Just remember to use the lock nut on the “main shaft” too keep it tight to the base/magnet.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

ChunkyC

Don’t get me wrong it’s an OK dial indicator but it’s just that, OK. Once I found the manual for the dial indicator at Grizzly, I found the manual for the Combo. After reading that, it’s cleared up a lot of the frustration that I’ve been experiencing with the combo unit. For example, I finally figured out how to get the dial to stick out straight from the end of the arm. I think the combo unit and I need a little quality time together to get reacquainted.

Chunk

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

I recently purchased this same kit to tune my new table saw. What I found was very similar to ChunkyC’s analysis. It was very clumsy to use in squaring the table to the blade. I attached the vertical bar to a miter with the same thread size and found I had to twist and turn the arm and dial in several different configuration just to see the dial. I also had problems with the dial slipping on the arm, no matter how tight I finger tighted the nut. Once I was able to set it up, after fighting with it for 30 minutes (or more?), I got my table alligned. I just hope it is accurate. This indicator would probably work ok to tune a jointer, but sure is a hassle on a saw.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

ChunkyC,

Could you post the link to the manuals on Grizzly’s site? I got this last year and experienced some of the same issues you had. I put it away and promptly forgot about it. It would be nice to get some use out of it.

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

ChunkyC

I haven’t used the supplied base sense. Well I use the mag base as a cross cut stop block, thanks to Stu’s Shed for this tip!

I’ve made a couple different fixtures now for holding the dial indicator. Brian, (something like garage workshop, sorry Brian, I can’t remember your handle) posted an absolutely fabulous fixture for getting everything perpendicular, i.e. square. I use this for everything now.

I’ve also recently made a fixture that slides in the miter slot for aligning the fence parallel to the miter slot and it works for the blade → miter slot too. I didn’t post pics of mine, there are hundreds of examples here at LJ if you need a idea.

As far as I’m concerned, if you can get one without the base then you’ll be doing just fine. Also, I think this is the same dial indicator that Harbor Fright sells, they certainly look identical to me.

Accuracy – I think I’ll take mine to the machine shop at work and have the machinists check it out. I’ll report back if I do. Although I have no reason to believe that it isn’t accurate, at lease for what we’re doing. Now if we were launching rockets, then we may want to spend a little more on our dial indicators.

View distrbd's profile

distrbd

CunckyC”,Accuracy – I think I’ll take mine to the machine shop at work and have the machinists check it out. I’ll report back if I do.”

I know this thread is over 4 years old but I’m thinking of buying this Grizzly G9849 dial indicator set and was wondering if you ever checked it’s accuracy,what’s the verdict?
Thanks Chuck.