My new unisaw

Review by Joe posted 1753 days ago 5559 views 1 time favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My new unisaw My new unisaw My new unisaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I said to my wife “I think I am going to buy a new table saw” She said “why”..... you have one already. I said a present to myself for retiring out of the Navy with 22 years. She said go ahead just make sure you get the one you want. “WHAT”......

Well here she is. Yup, this is all I got done today Just putting it together. Hmm… a review on putting it together. Easy, you get this black folder manual looks like something you get with a new car. Anyway in this is a DVD and needed paperwork that will show you how to set it up. Went together easy did it by myself, could of used a hand here and there. I have not checked any tolerances. I will do that tomorrow along with powering it up. Bad thing is I do not have 220 outlets in my garage. So I will have to get that taken care of also.
More to follow…..

Day two: Got everything needed to make an extension cord until I get a dedicated 220 outlet.
I doubled and tripled checked everything I did yesterday. Plugged her in and turned her on. I thought it would be loud or louder than my other delta (contractor 1.5hp). Anyway in sounded strong. Very smooth too, so I had to throw a nickel and penny on the table. Test passed.
There was virtually no arbor run-out I was surprised. I also set the fence. I thought it should slide back in forth better than it does. Maybe it needs to be broke in.?

The front gauges were dead on at 45 and 90 degrees. I checked them with my digital gauge. The hand cranks are solid as a rock and the locks work, not just clamps.

Blade was parallel with the miter slot. Speaking of the blade, the blade they supply is damm good.
Dust from a table saw is a thing of the past with this saw. Very good dust collection.
I love the riving knife and anti-kick back pawls. The guard is a two piece and I think it’s a work of art. No tools needed to remove any of them.

Ok, after setting all that needed to be set, it was time to cut a test piece. I through up some 8/4 hard maple. I have no idea why anyone would need more power. (strike that last comment). It handled it like it was ¾ pine. Man that sucker has some pure power.

As of now I have no complaints. I need to break it in for a while. It always great until the new wears off. I unusually have buyer’s remorse, about this time. This saw for me was defiantly a want not a need. My other delta would do everything I needed it to do. So why did I spend that kind of money on a table saw? Not sure really, I guess I am trying to stimulate the economy and I wanted it. Like my oldest my boy said “that Saw is sick”

<div>Top woodworking blogs award

Suweeet!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View greatview's profile

greatview

I’m curious about the logistics: Did you get it delivered? How did you get it off the truck? Things like that. I’m sure it is too heavy to simply lift. Does it breakdown into manageable sized “pieces”?

-- Tom, New London, NH

185 posts in 1989 days

Hey Tom, I picked it up in one trip with A Chevy S-10. I got lucky when I got home because my boy had some friends over and lifted the heavy cabinet out of the truck. That is the heavy piece and it is bolted down to pallet. The rest of the boxes were manageable.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

Green with envy I am. I guess I should have stayed in for 20 + yrs and gotten me one of the sweet machines. The new Uni’s are real work of art. I would be afraid of cutting anything on it as I might get it dirty.

Chunk

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View bigike's profile

bigike

i like this saw but the blade guard seems kinda flimsy everything else is sick all the up grades i like that the adjst. wheels are on the front and feel so sturdy in your hands i wish i can change the fence to my old new delta saw but i think u made a great purchase for your shop, im with chuck though i would hate to get it durty like firs was with my new delta saw.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View degoose's profile

degoose

6967 posts in 1950 days

I only did 7 in the RAN … does that count… I have been looking at these suckers and I will only take about 50 to 100 boards to be able to afford one.. A chevy S-10 would be nice but I have to manage with a ‘62 Ford Ute as a shop truck..
Congrats on retirement and on 22 years and on the Unisaw.. Delta Rocks.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

111999 posts in 2173 days

enjoy !

View Domer's profile

Domer

240 posts in 1962 days

Did you get the mobile base?

Domer

That is a great looking saw. It is a top notch tool that should last you a lifetime.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

That is a beautiful thing!!! Congradulations!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Congrats on you new Unisaw!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

185 posts in 1989 days

Domer, Woodcraft has a special going on 10% off and the mobile base is throne in for free. I really like that the Delta is being made in the USA. If you have not been up and personal with one then you do not know what you are missing. The quality and tolerances go unmatched my MHO. I guess that why it was in design for three years before they released it. But it does come with a price.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

Enjoy! Whay did you replace?

-- Don, Pittsburgh