Delta 1950's 4" Jointer - Rebuild

Review by Gary Ratajczak posted 2395 days ago 10621 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 1950's 4" Jointer - Rebuild Delta 1950's 4" Jointer - Rebuild No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought I would post a review of a “vintage” tool I refurbished a few months back. I currently have a small shop, and was looking at bechtop jointers.

Happened to mention my search at the office, and one of the guys indicated he had an old jointer that he was no longer using.

After $50.00, and his help to lift it into my truck, I was off on a re-furb project.

As the price of new tools continues to rise, along with the cost of fuel and food, I think there is more opportunity to do some bargain hunting. After a few weekends, I ended up with a nice looking jointer.

—Jointer $50.00

—New knives $6.00 w/shipping included from E-Bay

—Primer and Paint $12.00

I’ll most likely upgrade to a larger unit when my shop is built (in a few years) and I move from the basement, but until then It’s enjoyable to work on a piece of cast iron US history.

View Gary Ratajczak's profile

Gary Ratajczak

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

What a deal you got – you did a great job on the restore – looks great. Hope you enjoy using it.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

I have one of those jointers also, looks exactly like that one, but complete with the dust chute and the metal rod switch linkage. It took me several years to find one complete. Gotta luv old American iron. Nice score Gary.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Cute little thing! Does look very well built.

Good deal.

View Blake's profile

Blake

These are great little old Jointers. We’ve got one of these in our shop right now that is in dire need of some TLC. You just inspired me to take it home and give it some. I love restoring old machines like these! Beautiful job you did.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View Gary Ratajczak's profile

Gary Ratajczak

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Runs like a top – I just couldn’t bring myself to getting an offshore import made of aluminum!

If I ever decide to upgrade, I hope I’ve done my part to be sure this guy is around for another 70 years!!

View flippinfred's profile

flippinfred

I have one just like it! Bought it 2 years ago for $65 from an older gent in Mt. Home, AR who was getting
too feeble to play in the shop anymore. I’ve had an OLD Buffalo Forge drill press for 40 years that has to date
from the 30’s or 40’s, my bandsaw is a 1971 Craftsman! Love those old tools.

-- "Nothing difficult is ever easy".......anonymous, (and likely drunk)

View davedairplane's profile

davedairplane

I was given one just like it with the dust shute and metal rod switch linkage. It has served me well for years. Yours looks a lot better—nice job. I need to find new blades for it, any ideas? Also, mine is missing the guard. I’m looking for one, if anyone has an extra.

View Darell's profile

Darell

I got one of these from my dad years ago. Mod. No. on mine is 37-290. I cleaned it up about 3 years ago. Still has original paint. Installed new bearings and had the cutter head glass blasted to clean it up. Bad thing about that was that the threads on the bolts that hold the blades were about gone due to rust and no longer exist so I can’t change blades unless I can find new parts. Blades are so old and brittle that you can visibly see wear after a few boards are run through. I know some parts are still available from Delto Rockwell for this jointer but don’t know if they have those bolts & nuts.. At the time I called they had one cutter head left and wanted $500 for it. I’ve since upgraded to a 6” Jet but still have this one. I even have the original manual and parts list. Someday I’ll find it a new home with someone who will appreciate it and use it.

-- Darell, Norman, Ok.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Thats a nice jointer.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View randy57's profile

randy57

Hi everyone…
New to this site…have a question about the 4” jointer refurb…what “color” paint did you use on the jointer ? Have purchased a few HOMECRAFT tools and would like to start my own refurb in the spring (New Hampshire). Have been unable to locate a close “Delta Gray” match. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Randy

View Newbiewoodworker43's profile

Newbiewoodworker43

Hi Randy, I have been working on a delta band saw restoration and asked the same question. Here was a good answer

According to the info found on the MS wiki ( http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org ) regarding Delta paint colors ( http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/PaintColorsDelta.ashx ), Sherwin Williams High Seas Gray (#650094014) is pretty much an exact match. Comes in rattle cans for about $5 a piece and is what I used when I restored my Delta BS

Happy restoring!