HF Gerson Disposable Respirator - cheaper than cartridges

Review by Tennessee posted 03-26-2017 02:25 PM 3172 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HF Gerson Disposable Respirator - cheaper than cartridges HF Gerson Disposable Respirator - cheaper than cartridges HF Gerson Disposable Respirator - cheaper than cartridges Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had numerous respirators over the years, with various cartridges, and a couple things have always bothered me about most.
First, many of them don’t allow me to wear glasses properly, since the nose piece sticks up too high, causing my glasses to sit wrong and make my eyesight off.
Second, those doggone elastic straps always, always get stretched out and hard, and now that most have gone to the cheap plastic hooks, the problem is worse. Sealing with these stretched out is almost impossible.

Now that I have found this respirator at Harbor Freight, I no longer worry about cartridges, and if I want some extra dust filters to go on top, they are dirt cheap.

This unit retails for $16.99 at Harbor Freight, in a large size. With my usual 20% coupon that comes in at $13.60 each! My wife clips out all the 20% coupons out of the Sunday papers, and I pick them off out of the magazines we get. When we are down in Chattanooga if I need things we stop by, each take what we need, and check out with our coupons.
At this price, I can have a new respirator every few months.

These units fit like a glove, at least on my face. They come in a resealable bag. They have a clear plastic cover that goes on the back when not in use, should you not want to keep it in the bag.
The air valves on these work great, and they do a great job with dust and most organic vapors that you might spray in your shop.
And they work great on the lathe, with only a nice face shield added.

When I first saw them, I was looking for a new unit, and could not believe the price. When I realized they are throwaway, I liked it even more since most long term respirators I have owned get harder over time and of course the strap issue.
I like the disposable feature…And Amazon reviews are good, plus playing to about 4.2 stars on HF report these are great units for the money.
Five stars.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 03-26-2017 07:56 PM

Thank you for the review. I will have to get some of these next time I am in HF

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Mark Wilson's profile

Mark Wilson

#2 posted 03-26-2017 08:30 PM

”...organic vapors…” (???) At my age, I’ve kinda grown accustomed to my organic vapors.

-- Mark

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#3 posted 03-27-2017 01:33 AM

Hey Paul, Thanks for the review. Don’t have one close and there’s they shipping, and I’m looking for one that doesn’t steam my glasses or irritate my face.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 03-28-2017 12:12 PM

I have been pleasantly surprised by this one Doc. It doesn’t allow anything to steam up, glasses or shield when on the lathe. So far, nothing I spray in my shop, mostly lacquer, varnish and shellac, I cannot detect any smell when I wear this.
And I recently lathed out a large old growth cedar bowl, red aromatic, and never smelled it while on the lathe until I took off the mask.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View cicerojoe's profile

cicerojoe

#5 posted 03-30-2017 12:22 AM

Thanks for the review. HF has some real junk but also some real gems.

-- John from the Cherry Valley Studio in NY http://www.cvalleystudio.com

View TDominy's profile

TDominy

#6 posted 06-11-2017 10:13 PM

Thanks for the review, I have seen these at HF and wondered about them. I am going to go get one now.

-- By hammer in hand, all things do stand.