Delta 36-714 10-Inch left Tilt Hybrid Saw

Review by cstrang posted 1784 days ago 10124 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 36-714 10-Inch left Tilt Hybrid Saw Delta 36-714 10-Inch left Tilt Hybrid Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a good bang for your buck, when I originally purchased the saw I got it for around $1200, it is a little more pricy today but none the less a good buy. It comes wired for 120 from the manufacturer but when I received it I got my electrician friend to ramp it up to 240, not much that I have in my shop can bog it down now. In my old High school we had a saw just like this one with the sole difference of it being connected to standard 120, I notice a big difference between them, if you have any hybrid saw and have the opportunity to change it over to 240 I strongly recommend it. I also opted for the Biesemeyer fence system which is by far the best fence system I have ever had the pleasure of using, it has minimal deflection and you can set it to 28-1/16” and you know that board is going to be 28-1/16”. The dust collection is adequate with a single 4” port at the rear of the machine and a sloped surface inside the cabinet to direct dust downward however, I find myself at the end of every day turning on the dust collector one more time and opening the side door of the saw to push the dust down into the hose (this is the second drop from a 1200 Cfm collector about 10 feet away). One thing I noticed on most Hybrid saws is that the hand wheels are slightly undersized, it would be nicer if they where 6” dia. a feature which is available on some Hybrids. Another minor detail about buying Delta is ever since Black & Decker bought them out I find that their customer service has suffered. I live in Canada and they said it could take 2-3 weeks to receive a part I required for my table saw to work (a set screw came loose during operation and was sucked into the dust collector never to be found again) 2-3 weeks is a long time especially if you are waiting to complete an order, and as you all know a good table saw is the heart of any good woodworking shop. They did send me the set screw in one week, a lot of downtime, they don’t express ship to Canada, I don’t know why. If you are a resident of the United States I don’t believe you would have to worry about this as they said they can ship anywhere in the US overnight. This being said it is still a good buy for the money, I would recommend it.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

I’ve got the same saw but the Craftsman model and I love it. Very accurate and fits my basement well. Thanks for the review!

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1987 days

Hey cstrang,
Nice set-up you have there …well done.

View JimGuy's profile

JimGuy

CS, have you had any opportunity to compare this saw to a lift tilting arbor? I’m on the hunt and am trying to find the best fit for me. There are allot of posts talking about left is better than right tilt but i’m not sure why.

Great looking shop setup.. jealous ;)

-- JimGuy, StAlbert

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

I have had the chance to compare this saw to a right tilt general, I personally prefer the left tilt for the reason that when the blade is tilted the circular motion is pushing the work piece toward the fence and not trying to pull it away. If I was going to buy another it would be another left tilt saw, hope this helps.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

Have a right tilt Delta saw and the right tilt SUCKS. I’m thinking of replacing the saw for a left tilt model. When I bought the saw I wasn’t aware of the difference.

-- Don, Pittsburgh