Exceptionally smooth countersinks

Review by sry posted 1657 days ago 2204 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Exceptionally smooth countersinks Exceptionally smooth countersinks No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Woodcraft product page

I had always heard that this style produces a very smooth cut, so I decided to pick some up when I was at Woodcraft. I bought the #6, #8, and #10. It really is amazing how smoothly and effortlessly they cut.

The second picture I uploaded shows just how smooth these things cut (#10 is shown, but the results are typical). On the far left is the Wood River single flute countersink, middle is one from HD (can’t remember the brand), and right is from a Ryobi countersink set. Lower board is poplar, upper is walnut. You can pretty clearly see that the single flute is the best, followed by the Ryobi, with the brand-less one in a distant third.

Gripes
  • I wish they had a 1/4” hex shank, simply for the incredible ease it offers
  • If you try to drill too deep (ie counter sink then bore if you wanted to put a plug over the screw hole) the waste exit hole will drop below the work surface and it will clog

Score: 4 stars due to the clogging issue
5 stars otherwise

View sry's profile

sry

It looks like the hole does not go all the way to the point. Is it hard to use in hard wood. How about in a portable drill or a drill press. Any difference?

View sry's profile

sry

That’s a really good point Karson. Since the cutting edge does not go all the way to the tip you need to make sure that you drill the pilot hole first. If you don’t drill the hole first it won’t work (might be able to force it on the drill press, but why would you want to?). If there is a pilot hole it cut like a hot knife through butter with both the drill press and a cordless drill.

View patron's profile

patron

thanks for the review ,
i always wondered about these ,
the star-point ones chatter ,
and leave a hex hole !

View treeman's profile

treeman

208 posts in 1947 days

I just got a similar set from Lee Valley and I agree with Steve. These are by far the best countersinks I have ever used.

View Rev_John's profile

Rev_John

Wow, I wondered about these myself. It seems like there is now something else added to my shop list. (I’m sure my wife will thank you.) Thanks for the review.

-- John from Jackson, Michigan

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

It is a much better countersink. Certainly the best I’ve used. The HF star-shaped ones are terrible!

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

Isn’t it strange that the more cutting edges there are , the worse the hole is.?
I also wasted too much money on the “star” shaped multi-cutter countersinks in the past.
I’ve had great results with my Insty-Bit combination (drill and countersink) bits , and they’re 1/4” hex drive as well : )

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I bought a set of these about a month ago after reading several positive reviews. I completely agree that they are the best countersinks I have used. I threw my old star type countersinks away after the first use of the new ones.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View Roger's profile

thnx for the info. I’ve been ponderin pickin these up. Appreciate the review

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net