Exceptionally smooth countersinks

Review by sry posted 10-02-2009 03:42 AM 2499 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Exceptionally smooth countersinks Exceptionally smooth countersinks No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Woodcraft product page

I had always heard that this style produces a very smooth cut, so I decided to pick some up when I was at Woodcraft. I bought the #6, #8, and #10. It really is amazing how smoothly and effortlessly they cut.

The second picture I uploaded shows just how smooth these things cut (#10 is shown, but the results are typical). On the far left is the Wood River single flute countersink, middle is one from HD (can’t remember the brand), and right is from a Ryobi countersink set. Lower board is poplar, upper is walnut. You can pretty clearly see that the single flute is the best, followed by the Ryobi, with the brand-less one in a distant third.

Gripes
  • I wish they had a 1/4” hex shank, simply for the incredible ease it offers
  • If you try to drill too deep (ie counter sink then bore if you wanted to put a plug over the screw hole) the waste exit hole will drop below the work surface and it will clog

Score: 4 stars due to the clogging issue
5 stars otherwise

View sry's profile

sry

#1 posted 10-02-2009 04:29 AM

It looks like the hole does not go all the way to the point. Is it hard to use in hard wood. How about in a portable drill or a drill press. Any difference?

View sry's profile

sry

#2 posted 10-02-2009 11:14 AM

That’s a really good point Karson. Since the cutting edge does not go all the way to the tip you need to make sure that you drill the pilot hole first. If you don’t drill the hole first it won’t work (might be able to force it on the drill press, but why would you want to?). If there is a pilot hole it cut like a hot knife through butter with both the drill press and a cordless drill.

View patron's profile

patron

13033 posts in 1992 days

#3 posted 10-02-2009 11:46 AM

thanks for the review ,
i always wondered about these ,
the star-point ones chatter ,
and leave a hex hole !

View treeman's profile

treeman

#4 posted 10-02-2009 12:02 PM

I just got a similar set from Lee Valley and I agree with Steve. These are by far the best countersinks I have ever used.

View Rev_John's profile

Rev_John

#5 posted 10-02-2009 02:53 PM

Wow, I wondered about these myself. It seems like there is now something else added to my shop list. (I’m sure my wife will thank you.) Thanks for the review.

-- John from Jackson, Michigan

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#6 posted 10-02-2009 04:17 PM

It is a much better countersink. Certainly the best I’ve used. The HF star-shaped ones are terrible!

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

#7 posted 10-03-2009 02:08 AM

Isn’t it strange that the more cutting edges there are , the worse the hole is.?
I also wasted too much money on the “star” shaped multi-cutter countersinks in the past.
I’ve had great results with my Insty-Bit combination (drill and countersink) bits , and they’re 1/4” hex drive as well : )

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5076 posts in 1959 days

#8 posted 10-03-2009 05:50 AM

I bought a set of these about a month ago after reading several positive reviews. I completely agree that they are the best countersinks I have used. I threw my old star type countersinks away after the first use of the new ones.

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 11-07-2010 02:05 AM

thnx for the info. I’ve been ponderin pickin these up. Appreciate the review

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View spudhogg's profile

spudhogg

#10 posted 05-15-2014 11:52 PM

Thanks for the review. I need to pick up a set. The flute not going to the tip is a plus as it would make it easier to center in the pilot hole.

-- Spudhogg Woodworks