An Inexpensive and Space Efficient Combination Jointer/Planer

Review by Thomas Keefe posted 10-02-2009 12:28 AM 11329 views 5 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Inexpensive and Space Efficient Combination Jointer/Planer An Inexpensive and Space Efficient Combination Jointer/Planer An Inexpensive and Space Efficient Combination Jointer/Planer Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago, I took my first woodworking class (at the age of 51!). It was the first time I had actually used a jointer or a planer. Up to this point I had always purchased S2S lumber and been limited by whatever HD had to offer. After using both of these in class, I decided I needed to be able to do this at home. However, I have a very small workshop (10’ x 10’) and a limited budget. There was no way that they would both fit and no way my wife would let me buy them. So a benchtop jointer/planer combo seemed ideal. I purchased this from Woodcraft for ~$300 a year ago and am very pleased with it.

It has several limitations:

1) It has a short table (about 30” from end to end) which limits the size of the stock that can be jointed. However, with a 10’ x 10’ work area this kind of limitation is not new.

2) It is a combination machine so when going from jointing to planing the machine needs to be reconfigured. This requires that the dust shroud be moved from under the cutter head assembly to over it. Most of the time comes from cranking the planer bed all the way down and then most of the way up.

3) The blades (2) are somewhat thin (~1/16”) reducing the number of times they can be resharpened. I have only had the blades sharpened once. They seem OK but I am not sure I can do it again.

I am happy with the machine. It has been reliable and I think it does a nice job. I have used it mostly on white oak (some quarter sawn) and have been happy with the results. It doesn’t take up much space, but it is heavy and has a sturdy feel.

I have a few quality problems with the machine.

a) There is an extension outfeed table for the planar. This has adjustment so that the output table can be aligned with the planar bed to reduce snipe. However, the adjustment method provided did not work properly. Because of this, I had to shim the table to get it aligned.

b) At some point, checked and found that the infeed and outfeed table were not coplanar. It was off perhaps .01 over a range of 2’. I suspect the impact it had was pretty minor. I decided I had to do something about it. I called JET and was connected with a very knowledgeable technician immediately. He understood the problem immediately and sent me an email with instructions for fixing the problem. I applied the fix and haven’t any further issues.

I have attached some pictures from a brochure on JET’s website that shows various views of the machine along with an shot of the drive mechanism.

Again, I like this machine. It is reliable, does a good job, doesn’t cost much and doesn’t take up much space.

Tom

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#1 posted 10-02-2009 02:33 AM

We are a Jet dealer at my job, and I always wondered how well these little machines worked! Great review!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

#2 posted 10-02-2009 02:40 AM

Nice review : )

View Mikeyf56's profile

Mikeyf56

171 posts in 1973 days

#3 posted 10-02-2009 02:42 AM

Great review Tom, thank you.

-- Powered by Smith & Wilson~~~

5387 posts in 1984 days

#4 posted 10-02-2009 04:23 AM

Not the exact model I keep drooling over, but I totally understand wanting a combination machine… I have been drooling over the JJP-12… It is good to hear an actual owners perspective instead of the magazines….

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#5 posted 10-02-2009 05:05 AM

Thanks for the review. It’s nice that they make tools like these for people like you that get a multipurpose tool.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#6 posted 10-02-2009 05:22 AM

That is cool. I have never seen that one before.

I imagine that it would be perfectly suited to a shop the size of yours.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

#7 posted 10-02-2009 06:49 AM

neat

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#8 posted 10-02-2009 05:30 PM

thanks for the review – this looks like it might work pretty well for me further on down the road.

how have the size constraints of this little bugger gone for you? that is, the 8” for jointing is good, but the tables are short, and 8” is kind of narrow for a planer. what say you?

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

#9 posted 10-02-2009 08:42 PM

AaronK: There have been a few times when a wider planer would have been helpful. Often after I glue up some boards side to side, even with cauls, the result may be cupped or not perfectly aligned. With a wide planer it might be possible to run it through and solve the problem. I generally resort to hand tools (e.g., hand plane, scraper, sand paper). So, I try to be really careful when I do this kind of glue up.

There is a 10” version of this product as well. It cost a bit more and takes up a bit more space. But, it might be helpful at times.

Tom

View j_olsen's profile

j_olsen

155 posts in 1923 days

#10 posted 10-03-2009 12:39 AM

Thnaks for the review—I have the 10” being delivered on monday and hope that I have as much luck with it as you seem to have had

Jeff

View cam1297's profile

cam1297

64 posts in 1963 days

#12 posted 10-03-2009 06:15 AM

I too have the 8” version after having debated over the 10”. I tested mine out on some purpleheart and it worked great. I too thought it was limiting to have a narrow planer, but I’ll be working with boards less than 8”, so it really doesn’t matter. Infeed/outfeed could be longer, but is suiting my purpose so far. All in all, I’m more than happy with my purchase since I get unsurfaced white oak and ash for free.

View kosta's profile

kosta

#13 posted 10-10-2009 02:29 PM

having a small 8 in jointer is good but a 8in planner is to small for me

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#14 posted 10-31-2009 02:31 AM

thanks for the review. I was thinking about the 10” model. I have a 12 inch planer (Delta tp-305) with only the bare essentials. Haven’t used it yet. I was thinking the 10” Jet jointer would match up will with the Delta and I would also have the Jet 10” planer. Point being, I’ve looked at 6” jointers and eveyone tells me to go bigger— like 8 inch. But those machines are 220V so I need to run electrical…. this Jet is still 110v at 10”.

But then, everyone tells me to go with long infeed tables which this jet doesn’t have… HELP… I think I am going in circles over this stuff…

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View cam1297's profile

cam1297

64 posts in 1963 days

#15 posted 10-31-2009 03:28 AM

Here is a two part video that is on youtube. It features the 10” Jet jointer/planer. Like I stated earlier, I have the 8” and it is working great. It was easy to set up and use out of the box. I had very little snipe. Yes, the planer is only as wide as the jointer, but it works great. The switch over between the two tools takes a few minutes, but is very simple. Plus, I have to share my “shop” with two vehicles, so you can’t be the capabilities of an 8” jointer in a compact tool. In the video, the infeed and outfeed isn’t any bigger in the 10” compared to the 8”.

Overall, I’m more than happy to be able to surface my own lumber in my garage with this tool. Most of my tools are portable or bench top models. As my space grows, so will my stationary tool collection (the 12” Jet jointer/planer makes me drool).