Great Table even better customer service!!!

Review by Bobmedic posted 03-22-2017 08:00 PM 1882 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Table even better customer service!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A couple weeks ago, I ordered a Kreg Mobile Project Center on the internet. When it arrived, I opened it to find that it had been damaged due to it being assembled incorrectly. I called Kreg customer support and after a brief explanation of what had happened, they had a new table on its way to me. When the second table arrived, I noticed that it had been damaged during shipping. I sent an email to Kreg customer support explaining what had happened and what I thought the cause of it was. A few minutes later, I received an email with tracking information on a third table that was being sent to me. The Kreg KWS 1000 is a great table. It is well built and sturdy. There have been 2 bad reviews on YouTube about it but both of those reviews were not objective and they were done by complete idiots. The one guy did multiple video reviews because he pinched his finger in the table twice. Yep, you read that correctly, twice! Admittedly, in the area that has big warning labels that say pinch hazard. My review is more about Kreg’s customer service. They went above and beyond my expectations and did so without hesitation. I have no problem recommending Kreg tools because of their quality and their awesome customer service just makes the experience that much better.

View htl's profile

htl

#1 posted 03-22-2017 08:49 PM

These are the kind a reviews we like the read.

-- There's a hundred ways to do anything, alot depends on the tools at hand.

#2 posted 03-23-2017 01:21 AM

Thank you for the great impartial review and glad to hear they were so responsive

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#3 posted 03-23-2017 01:22 AM

I have the same table. I’m really happy with it, it will take a beating for sure.

One word of caution, and my only semi legitimate gripe, if you put more than about 15lbs on that bottom storage area it can sit concave which will prevent the top from lifting fully flat. The top lifting and locking at it’s designed height is dependent on that lower shelf sitting flat.

#4 posted 03-23-2017 03:04 AM

I have the same table. I m really happy with it, it will take a beating for sure.

One word of caution, and my only semi legitimate gripe, if you put more than about 15lbs on that bottom storage area it can sit concave which will prevent the top from lifting fully flat. The top lifting and locking at it s designed height is dependent on that lower shelf sitting flat.

- ihadmail

Good to know. I guess I’ll just wait until the table is unfolded and locked before putting anything on the bottom shelf.

View Rick.'s profile

Rick.

#5 posted 03-23-2017 04:35 AM

Interesting product. How do you guys use it, or what do you use it for? It’s basically a small portable bench for clamping, but I mean are you using it for woodworking or carpentry or general garage stuff?

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#6 posted 03-23-2017 05:11 AM

Interesting product. How do you guys use it, or what do you use it for? It s basically a small portable bench for clamping, but I mean are you using it for woodworking or carpentry or general garage stuff?

- Rick M

I use it for faceframe assembly and as a general
workbench.

View americancanuck's profile

americancanuck

#7 posted 03-23-2017 11:00 AM

I think, unlike some others, that reviews of after sales service is just as important as reviews of the tools themselves. I also believe that good reviews, such as yours, are as helpful as negative reviews. Thanks for a job well done.

#8 posted 03-23-2017 01:23 PM

Good to know. I guess I ll just wait until the table is unfolded and locked before putting anything on the bottom shelf.

- Bobmedic

Sadly that won’t help. The final position of the top depends on the angle of the legs. The leg angle depends on the lower shelf being flat as intended. It really doesn’t interfere with most uses of the table. The top will just sit slightly off flat.

I solved the problem by placing a couple of scrap fence boards across the lower section joint where they were keeping the large boxes of nails I had down there from pushing the bottom down.

- Rick M

I use mine as a general workbench. It is also used as a work surface for my Kreg k5 pocket hole system, my dewalt thickness planer and my dewalt 20v miter saw.

One of the things that surprised me was how well the bench dogs hold items for sanding and how well the automatic clamps work.

View JInBrem's profile

JInBrem

#9 posted 03-28-2017 07:23 PM

I recently purchased one. Well built, but, the table extensions do not come up and sit flat to the center portion (the track for the clamp). I contacted KREG to see what could be done to tighten that up and make the entire top flat. There response was, “Actually there isn’t a way. The tolerance for the tops are 1/8” to 1/4.” I find that disappointing, having a flat surface has always been important to good pocket hole joints. Since I purchased it mainly for that reason, and they are the pockethole company, I cannot completely endorse this. Customer service was excellent and it is sturdy, but, I was hoping for more.

#10 posted 03-28-2017 07:32 PM

I recently purchased one. Well built, but, the table extensions do not come up and sit flat to the center portion (the track for the clamp). I contacted KREG to see what could be done to tighten that up and make the entire top flat. There response was, “Actually there isn t a way. The tolerance for the tops are 1/8” to 1/4.” I find that disappointing, having a flat surface has always been important to good pocket hole joints. Since I purchased it mainly for that reason, and they are the pockethole company, I cannot completely endorse this. Customer service was excellent and it is sturdy, but, I was hoping for more.

- JInBrem

That is a good point you bring up. I’ve found that as long as both pieces you are joining are registering off of the same surface that I’m able to get perfectly flush aligned joints.

View JInBrem's profile

JInBrem

#11 posted 03-28-2017 07:49 PM

Good point. I was using the center track as the base for the clamp to register. Next time I will make sure I use one of the wings. Have a project for one of my daughter that I plan to start this weekend, will keep folks informed.

#12 posted 03-28-2017 09:56 PM

- JInBrem

Before you loose all hope in the table ever sitting flat, check your lower shelf. If it’s not perfectly flat the top cannot sit flat either.

View JohnnyBoy1981's profile

JohnnyBoy1981

#13 posted 04-28-2017 03:21 PM

Would a couple of these be a good substitute for a traditional workbench I build myself out of wood? I mostly want the bench dogs for hand planing. I know I’d be missing out on wood vices, but I’m not sure how much I’d use them (aside from jointing board edges, I suppose). Are they heavy enough for handplaning without getting pushed around? Or should I just build my own wood bench (which would be cheaper, I’m guessing)?

#14 posted 04-28-2017 05:33 PM

Would a couple of these be a good substitute for a traditional workbench I build myself out of wood? I mostly want the bench dogs for hand planing. I know I d be missing out on wood vices, but I m not sure how much I d use them (aside from jointing board edges, I suppose). Are they heavy enough for handplaning without getting pushed around? Or should I just build my own wood bench (which would be cheaper, I m guessing)?

- JohnnyBoy1981

They are very sturdy. They have a wide stance and they weigh about 50 lbs a piece. When joined together they make for a very stable surface. They aren’t as good as a traditional work bench but they are good enough for most applications and they’re portable.

View JohnnyBoy1981's profile

JohnnyBoy1981

#15 posted 04-28-2017 06:38 PM

I was going to build a table, then I saw these. Right now my ‘table’ is a couple saw horses and some 3×4” plywood screwed into them. I’d really like some bench dogs since I’m getting into planing.