My Custom Branding Iron

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 1757 days ago 4521 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Custom Branding Iron My Custom Branding Iron My Custom Branding Iron Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was lucky enough to win this branding iron in a contest this summer on Lumberjocks.

You can check out my winning contest entry on My Lumberjocks Blog.

I’ve had one of these on my tool list for a long time.

I’d look at them, but I never took any action.

I wished I’d bought one of these many years ago now.

I highly recommend this tool to all Woodworkers, & Carvers.

When you order this tool you can talk directly to the owner Terry Desilets.

He is very nice to talk to, & he’ll give you excellent advice on your design choice.

You can find him on this link.

If your planning on ordering a custom iron, he’ll personally advise you on the design you should have.

You can send him an idea of what you’d like, & he’ll work up a design, or two, & send them for your approval.

I was planning on having my brand say, Handcrafted by, but Terry thought it would be redundant, because he said that anyone can see that most of my work is done by hand.

I’m glad I took his advice, because it allowed my signature to be larger.

As you can see by my brand design, I sent him my signature that I’ve always used, & he modified it, so it would be compatible with the branding iron.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’d also like to recommend: If you should send Terry a sample of your signature , or proposed design, you need to send it at 300dpi 8 bit le, or 300dpi 1 bit Black & White, output at 200% if possible, in order for him to be able to scan it properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can also view this video slideshow of me using it for the first time.

It’s a great way to mark your things.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

sounds like it was an easy process and a wonderful addition to your woodworking craft!
nice review

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Congrats on winning a very cool prize! I have been wanting to get one of these since I started giving away/selling some cutting boards. I like your signature/logo….Watching your slide show pushed me over the edge..I think I am going to have to order one of these!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

Congrats Dick. That is a great looking signature. Good for the Dick Cain woodworking brand.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Chris's profile

Chris

Nice. i really like that, now you can add that professional touch to any of your workings. Cool deal. I have been wanting one of them for a long time. I must say i really like the manner in which yours stamps, it leaves really fine crisp lines, very detailed. I am going to look into the various brands on the market but i might just end up getting the brand you have on hand.

Thanks a great deal for sharing.

Chris

-- Chris Harrell - custom callmaker "Quacky Calls" Eastern NC. http://www.quackycalls.com

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

very nice. congrats on the winning again!

how deep does the burn go in? how long does the iron needs to be heated prior to use? how long does it take to cool down?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

Dick, & Barb Cain

Thanks to all of you. I do appreciate your comments.

PurpLev. It takes about 20 minutes to maximum heat, & maybe about as long to cool down.

My brand is smaller, 3/4” X 1”, than the stock size, so I think the time would be different on the size of your brand.

It takes practice to get a good brand. You need a steady hand, & be a good judge at holding it straight.

I also think it takes a little patience, waiting for the iron to get to full temp. It’s much better to wait, for the best results.

Especially when doing multiple branding, for consistent results. I found that the timing is the trick.

View Kate's profile

Kate

Looks good. I’ve used custom branding irons before and they do a great job with signatures.

I always get a little nervous – am I about to ruin something I just spent three weeks on? So far, no problems. You have to be careful not to move the iron as you press down although you can rock slightly and very gently side to side to make sure the details are crisp.

-- Kate, http://www.wooden-box-maker.com

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

Sweet. I have one from a competitor.
Dick, does yours have a heating element? I have a torch warmed one, and I wish I had ponied up the cash for a thermostatically controlled iron.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

Douglas,
This is electric, but it’s not thermostatically controlled. It’s recommended not to leave it on for long periods of time. I’m not sure but, I think that’s for helping in the longevity of the tool. You might have to ask Terry about this.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19307 posts in 2446 days

Dick that iron adds a very nice touch to the job

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View sharad's profile

sharad

Dick, I have seen this device for the first time and was highly impressed seeing it working on your video. nice to hear that you got it as a gift for your win in a contest.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

Dick, & Barb Cain

Thank you, Grumpy, & Sharad.

It’s a handy tool to have around.

View Dano46's profile

Dano46

It’s gives you a good feeling to see your “brand” on completed project. I have had this for several years, it’s electric, and I have had to replace the heating element twice. Guess I could heat it up with a torch if it goes out again. If you can’t win one like Dick & Barb did, cut loose with a few bucks and buy one.
I always to use mine on our two grandsons. Told them it would only hurt a little while.

-- You can't trust a dog to guard your food.

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

Nice job on the handles , did you flatten the backs just for this or did you originally make them like that ? How do you like working with the handle design ?

Regards Jerry

View pommy's profile

pommy

a very nice touch to a classic craftsman well worth the win well done my friend

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69