Mafell Duo doweler

Review by mummykicks posted 03-13-2017 12:55 AM 1584 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mafell Duo doweler No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Good video on operation here:

Pro’s:
Excellent quality.
Easy to set up and use with all kinds of neat little features.
Dial stop for offset like a plunge router with common stop distances which put the dowels right in the middle of a 1/2” or 3/4” plywood edge. No adjustment required, just set and go. Other offsets can be easily set via the ruler lines on the rod.
Dust collection is flawless.
Angle adjustment easy and has detents, one knob adjustment.
Spring loaded pins, and the plastic stop pins work really, really well. If you get the template guide it’s even better.
Tool is symmetrical so no time consuming set up like a dowel max going from the edge dowel holes to the flat. You can drill all the holes with the same setup, just flip the tool over and reference the pin on the other side.
No clamping! Non skid pad works great.
Switch stays on, so you can push against the back of the doweler and are not forced to hold the button down, turns off with an easy flick.
If you want to do a lot of dowel joints, this IS the tool.

Con’s:
Price. Is it worth it? Same question people ask about festool.
Commie units, so I need to buy metric dowels or inch bits (cmt sells them, 8mm shank, right hand rotation ~$15 a piece so not bad).

For me it’s a cry once situation, I’m sure I could use the triton and get good results, but I’d be wishing for the Mafell every time I used it. People pay a similar amount for a festool domino, and this will be cheaper long term given how cheap I can get dowels, and how expensive the dominos are.

I would say it’s really a no-drama type deal, it just does what it’s supposed to, and once you get used to using it you can slap things together very, very quickly. Far quicker than having to set up a dado blade or a router with a guide of some sort. Also, once you pull the joint closed there really isn’t any need to keep the clamps on, the dowels swell and that thing isn’t coming apart. Everything lines up and is square.

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#1 posted 03-13-2017 01:46 AM

Good article with pro’s and con’s on fine Mafell machine. After watching Alan and others several years ago we purchased the Duo-Doweler for in our shop or onsite. The unit is amazing.

-- Wuddoc

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

23861 posts in 1939 days

#2 posted 03-13-2017 02:05 AM

I use the Triton and i am pretty happy with it. Always glad to hear about options also.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

6533 posts in 1930 days

#3 posted 03-13-2017 03:34 PM

I made a tool stand from an 50 year old wooden desk and used it for 20 years. I’m rearranging the shop this week and had to cut up the desk to make two separate stands… this pig was very well put together and solid as a rock after all these yeas. When I cut it up, I was surprised to see that all the joinery was done with dowels and hide glue. Very strong!

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#4 posted 03-13-2017 08:55 PM

“Commie units?” You’ve got to be kidding. The metric system us used all over the world, and predates communism. The only argument we have against it is we’re used to something else.

#5 posted 03-13-2017 11:17 PM

Interesting review,you say it’s expensive but don’t give it’s price?

#6 posted 03-14-2017 04:45 AM

Interesting review,you say it s expensive but don t give it s price?

- a1Jim

$1300 for the P version (1000W motor, 8-10-12mm bits)
$940 or so for the G version (700W motor 8mm bits)

View jim C's profile

jim C

#7 posted 03-14-2017 08:19 PM

woha,
I just bought a new Grizzly G0704 milling machine for $1200.00 and it has limitless versatility for precision doweling of any sizes and spacing, as well as Dado, Rabbiting, jointing, etc.
It also can be used for routing purposes in some cases.
I’ve switched my woodworking to Heirloom toy making and this machine fits well for that purpose.
I can also make aluminum and steel fixtures and tooling.
I think it’s a better choice of $1200.00
The footprint is approx. 34” by 19”, so very little shop space is required.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#8 posted 03-14-2017 09:01 PM

it looks like it may be one of the Transformers ;-)

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View Bobmedic's profile

Bobmedic

#9 posted 03-14-2017 09:17 PM

Looks like it’s a well built machine. I contemplated getting one but bought the Domino instead. For me, the Domino is more versatile and the cost of the Dominos is negligible since, in most applications, only one Domino is required per joint vs two dowels. Also, for my workflow the Domino was a better choice for smaller projects. I’m happy to hear a good review of what seems to be a good machine. I’m glad it works well for you.

#10 posted 03-16-2017 08:08 PM

woha,
It also can be used for routing purposes in some cases.
I ve switched my woodworking to Heirloom toy making and this machine fits well for that purpose.
I can also make aluminum and steel fixtures and tooling.
I think it s a better choice of $1200.00
The footprint is approx. 34” by 19”, so very little shop space is required.

- jim C

It absolutely isn’t a better choice for $1200 for what I build. I’m sure it works for what YOU build, but I need to build things like kitchen cabinets and bedroom sets, among other things.

It doesn’t have limitless versatility. It has 7” of y travel and 11” of Z. the head doesn’t rotate 90 degrees so edge doweling any stock taller than that can’t be done. Even if it did, it would be painful to use.

This doweler will save me many, many, hours on my projects.