Great for something, but not for spreading glue!

Review by thiel posted 09-28-2009 01:42 AM 1584 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for something, but not for spreading glue! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I hate the idea of tossing out acid brushes after a few uses (they’re steel!) and I’ve been looking for alternatives (for the record, there aren’t any :-) so I bought these little dealios.

Long story short, they are TERRIBLE for spreading glue. They act more like a squeegee—pulling glue away from your intended target. Which brings us to what they ARE good for, and that’s scraping glue off once its skinned over.

These things are a nice plastic, they are glue resistant, and they have a nice sharp edge. PERFECT for scraping off skinned over glue. They are also easily cut/shaped to odd shapes (like molding profiles) and that comes in handy too. I find them especially useful for scraping inside of spots that are too tight for anything else—they are too soft to hurt the wood.

So… don’t buy em to spread glue. Buy em to remove glue instead! They are about $3 for a whole pack.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 2035 days

#1 posted 09-28-2009 01:44 AM

I like either acid brushes or my index finger. Thanks for the review.

#2 posted 09-28-2009 01:50 AM

Thanks for the review. Usually I have found Lee Valley products to be excellent quality so I appreciate the heads up on this one. However, like Jim I generally just use my index finger to spread glue and use acid brushes for hard to reach areas.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 09-28-2009 02:09 AM

I use an old retired kitchen spatula – looks similar to the item you’re reviewing – but much bigger. what I did was notch small cuts in the spatula which lets the glue “escape” as you spread it as opposed to being removed. works pretty well – might also make these useful for their purpose. just my $0.02

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Chris's profile

Chris

#4 posted 09-28-2009 02:33 AM

I picked up a set of three that look very similar sometime 5-10 years ago, although I don’t think I got them from Lee Valley. The ones I use are pretty flexible and I actually like and use them often for gluing edges (they’re only about 3/8 wide). The ones I have are not really stiff enough to scrape up glue with. I have a cheap plastic putty knife that does that great.

Of course, I do use my finger half the time anyway.

-- Chris

View CanadaJeff's profile

CanadaJeff

#5 posted 09-28-2009 02:35 AM

I like the acid brushes a lot, I don’t understand why your throwing them away after a few uses. After you done gluing, rinse them in a little warm water and soap and dry them out. I have acid brushes from 2 years ago still in use.

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#6 posted 09-28-2009 03:12 AM

Gotta disagree 100% on this one. A steady hand and these babies are awesome aslo faster than acid brushes in my opinion. Best thing is when the glue dries it peels right off them, even epoxy does not stick.

Gunked up acid brushes are a p.i.t.a., I’d rather use my finger.

-- Paul

View Demowen's profile

Demowen

#7 posted 09-28-2009 05:07 AM

I’ve got a few very small scraps of some hide leather that works great to spread glue. Once the glue dries up it just cracks and peels right off!

I know that Marc Spagnolo takes a regular pint container with a hole cut in the top. He puts a little water in the bottom and its good to go till your next glue up.

-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#8 posted 09-28-2009 05:48 AM

I cut the bristles a little shorter on my Harbor Freight cheap brushes… makes them a little stiffer to spread glue… Then, I like to use my wife’s credit card to peel off semi-dry glue squeeze out.

I saw these things, or something similar… didn’t think they’d spread as well as brush. Thanks for posting.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View choppertoo's profile

choppertoo

297 posts in 2057 days

#9 posted 09-28-2009 11:50 PM

I’ve got to agree with OttowaP. I like mine especially for spreading in a groove. They fit 1/2 out of the bag but are wasily cut down to 3/8 or 1/4. I don’t mind acid brushes but forget to rinse them & they’re shot.

-- The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that our aim is too low and we reach it.. Michelangelo

View JayPique's profile

JayPique

61 posts in 2032 days

#10 posted 09-28-2009 11:58 PM

I’m partial to a brayer, like David Marks uses. You put down your bead of glue, and then roll it out smooth with the brayer. For bigger glue ups I’ll put glue in a paint tray and use an appropriately sized paint roller.

Most often, though, I just use my finger.

JP

View choppertoo's profile

choppertoo

297 posts in 2057 days

#11 posted 09-29-2009 12:00 AM

I’ve got to agree with OttowaP. I like mine especially for spreading in a groove. They fit 1/2 out of the bag but are easily cut down to 3/8 or 1/4. I don’t mind acid brushes but forget to rinse them & they’re shot.

View ladywoodrat's profile

ladywoodrat

3 posts in 1922 days

#12 posted 09-29-2009 03:51 AM

I like these little plastic spreaders for wood filler. They work great and like glue the filler comes off pretty easy if it drys on them.

-- LadyWoodrat

View jsheaney's profile

jsheaney

#13 posted 09-29-2009 07:23 AM

I always seem to have plenty of really skinny cutoffs sitting around, so generally just use little bits of wood to spread glue (if not my finger). I’ll generally sharpen the end a bit on a sanding block. When I’m done I snip the end off with wire cutters.

-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#14 posted 09-29-2009 07:21 PM

good idea jsheaney – i’m a bit tired of getting my fingers all gunky. plus, you can carve any pattern youd like… thanks!