Square it up!

Review by gizmodyne posted 2371 days ago 5591 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Square it up! Square it up! Square it up! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Why this one
I was building my shop doors and getting frustrated with the dimensional clear redwood. I tried to make a router table style jointer with a shimmed outfeed but that did not work.

I got the go ahead for a jointer, did a little research and settled on the Grizzly. With delivery it was around $800.

I have the standard blade system though I have heard great things about the spiral cutter head.

Set up
The saw comes in two boxes. The stand is not heavy at all. The bed and motor assembly is like a battleship. I had a friend come over and help me set it up. It sits in a HTC base (rolls great)

I wired it for 220. It took some time to figure out how to tension the belt properly. You have to have one person lift the assembly, when the tension is good you bolt the thing down.

I adjusted the tables and found them to be very true. The fence is not that tall.

Use
It does what it supposed to. I keep all of my cuts to no more than 1/16” and it performs well.

I have even used it to rabbet! Very cool feature.

The long bed is critical for jointing long stock. In general you can joint something twice as long as the bed. I have done 8 footers with no problem.

The controls are placed up high on a riser which is handy unless you need that space. (Some like to store the jointer near the tablesaw).

Great dust collection from 4” port.

Conclusions
Great 8” jointer. I was impressed with Grizzly’s quality at a budget (When compared to the Delta’s). I would buy again.

4 stars. Minus one star: It is just not as pretty as it could be. And the fence takes along time to crank back and forth. And it was a pain to tension that belt!

I nicked a blade on a nail, so will be changing the blades soon. (Let’s see how that goes).

Description from Grizzly site Description
Grizzly is pleased to introduce the newest addition to our jointer family. Check out these great features and you will know why we are so excited about it!

Specifications:

• Motor: 2 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, Magnetic switch is 220V only, TEFC, 3450 RPM
  • Precision ground cast iron table
  • Cutterhead knives: 4 HSS
  • 8” x 3/4” x 1/8”
  • Cutterhead speed: 5500 RPM
  • Cutterhead diameter: 3-1/16”
  • Max. depth of cut: 1/8”
  • Max. rabbeting depth: 1/2”
  • Cuts per minute: 22,000
  • Deluxe cast iron fence size:
  • 38”L x 11/4”W x 4”H
  • Approx. shipping weight: 480 lbs

Features:

• 9 1/4” x 75” precision ground cast iron bed – the longest on the market
  • Beds slide on dovetailed ways
  • Shielded & lubricated bearings
  • Double V-belt drive
  • Handwheel adjusted tables
  • Heavy-duty center mounted fence
  • Built-in dust chute
  • Powder coated paint

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

Thanks for the review Giz. I normally wouldn’t consider a Grizzly but my best friend used one with the spiral head all the time in a class like the ones you have taken. He said it was fantastic.

The $800 price point for an 8-inch jointer is not too shabby. You’re right. Delta is a little proud of even their 6-inch cabinet jointers. I settled for the ShopMaster model.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanis for writing the review Giz.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Great review Giz – Must be nice to have won one of the Lotteries :-)) New Saw Stop, 8” jointer – Lucky you. Tell Gary hi for me when you see him.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

gizmodyne

Thanks, I have had this jointer for about 2 years. I never play the lottery.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

I play it all the time – at least my wife does. One of these days, who knows. Great tool and of course you know I was only kidding about the lottery.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

Nice. I have been looking for a new jointer for quite some time, and this one always seems to come out on top.
Note to self: I need to get over it and wire the shop for 220v.

Thanks for the push,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

gizmodyne

Yes Bill. I know. (The real trick to tool acquisition: My wife has taken a bunch of the woodworking classes with me. She knows how to use them, what they do, and why certain ones will cut the mustard).

gizmodyne

Steve. When I planned my shop I put in a new 200 amp for my house with 100 sub panel for my shop.

My electrician insisted I would not need 220. I had him put in the 110v and I ran a bunch of extra lines to empty boxes as well as a conduit to floor boxes.

I am glad I did, since I have already needed two 220 circuits. I plan to wire in one more for my band saw which is convertible.

You should get on it if possible.

View Alin Dobra's profile

Alin Dobra

gizmodyne,

Thanks for taking the trouble to write such a detailed review. Judging by your experience (and others), it seems that the G0490 is a better machine. The fence is taller and the adjustments more straightforward. It is so easy so setup that I virtually change the depth of cut every time to adapt to the particular task/board. One of these days I’ll probably take the time to write a review.

Alin

-- -- Alin Dobra, Gainesville, Florida

Alin.

I have never used that machine. I think you may be right though. Isn’t is a clone of the newer delta d20 with parallelogram style? The machine I have reminds me of the powermatic which has the lower fence.

I guess that is the problem with a style of reviews that is not a comparision.

To Clarify: Depth of cut adjustments are easy. It is the fence movement that is annoying.

gizmodyne

By the way… GaryK gave me a tip on the knicked blades. He said to slide one over a bit which will cover for the others. Going to give it a go! Thanks Gary.

View sawdog's profile

sawdog

Thanks on the info. I too bought the Grizzly Planner and I am well pleased to go to this size jointer instead of the smaller Delta and so models. I am well pleased with this model. I also purchased the Grizzly 2 hp contractor saw and morise machine, had to go with the contractor saw instead of hybrid for mobility in my shop. Again, super pleased with both also.

By the way what band saw are you using?

Sawdog,
Memphis, TN

Jet 18” Review here

View Billp's profile

Billp

I have the same jointer,and planer very happy with both. Good stuff for the money.

-- Billp

View Billp's profile

Billp

I have the same Jointer I would give mine 5stars. Great piece of machinery for the money.

-- Billp