R4510 with PICS!

Review by LostinLA posted 09-27-2009 05:41 AM 23688 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
R4510 with PICS! R4510 with PICS! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey Everyone -

I’ve never posted here before, but I did a lot of research here before buying a replacement for my beloved cast iron Ridgid table saw. It had served me well through a major renovation, but now that the project is complete, I wanted something I could more easily tuck out of the way.

I’d narrowed it down to the Ridgid 2410LS and the Bosch 4100, and was leaning toward the Bosch when I dropped in at my local Home Depot. The Ridgid rep happened to be there on a Saturday (unusual) and asked me to wait a sec while he ran to the storage/receiving area at the back of the store.

A few minutes later, he returned, all smiles, pushing a cart on which sat what looked like a 2410LS box. I didn’t get what he was so happy about—there were a couple 2410s already on the floor.

“Look again,” he said. “These just came in.”

So I examined the box a bit more closely and saw that this was, indeed, a NEW version of Ridgid’s well-reviewed 24XX portable saw. And WOW – it looks like they’ve addressed just about every issue I had with the saw, and then some.

The R4510 is superficially very similar to the 2410LS – but now has the safety features that made many people give the nod to the Bosch in head-to-head comparisons. There are a few major changes:

Completely redesigned splitter/guard – now has a removable riving knife that can be set to two different heights and a split blade guard for bevel cuts.

Relocated power switch – many people complained about having to “hunt” for the switch – it’s now a bit bigger and located so you can bump it with your thigh without taking your hands or eyes off your work.

Tool-less table insert – FINALLY! It wasn’t a huge deal, but it sure is nice, not having to hut around for a screwdriver every time I switch blades.

Tool storage is still great and now includes a push stick that stores next to the miter gauge.

Unfortunately, the table I received must have been a “Monday” saw. The fence rails were so far off, the fence was hitting the extendable side table and rubbing across the surface of the table. It took over an hour to get them level-ish—I say “ish” because it wasn’t possible to get a consistent clearance across the table, as it seems there’s a slight crown the to table top on the right side. I don’t know how flat these cast-aluminum tables are supposed to be—I may be spoiled by my experiences with the cast iron model—but I don’t think a 24” level should “rock” ANYWHERE on the table. Finally—and again, I may be spoiled by the smooth, quiet operation of the belt-drive Ridgid—the soft-start motor didn’t sound so great at first. It sounded a little “gravelly” on startup and there’s a visible wobble to the arbor.

You’d think that all these flaws would turn me off to the saw completely, but I’ve owned several Ridgid tools (table saw, thickness planer, drill press, jointer/planer, as well as cordless tools galore) and have always been very pleased with their quality in the past—I’m hoping this is an aberration, rather than representative of their current quality standards.

I’ve already spoken with the Ridgid rep and he says that as soon as some more 4510s come in, I can swap out the saw, no problem. So I’m not too worried about it.

In the meantime, he urged me to beat the hell out of this one. I’m building 120’ fence with a semi-complicated design requiring a bunch of dadoes—a lot of cuts, but nothing that requires cabinets saw accuracy or cut quality. I’ve run a pile of lumber through it and have been pleased so far; I’ve ripped a couple of 4×8 sheets, done a load of 3/4 dado cuts and ripped a bunch of 2Xs and am very impressed with the motor’s power, the accuracy of the fence, and the overall usability of the saw.

I’ve already made a simple router table attachment that drops into the space created when you extend the table, a bunch of fingerboards, a couple of jigs and table inserts (zero clearance and dado). The slotted table and fence are must-haves for the way I like to work and (fingers crossed) once I get a unit that isn’t such a POS, I’m confident that this saw will do just about anything I could ask of it. I haven’t put together a good outfeed support or thrown any bevels at it yet—those tests will decide whether or not I can really consider this a viable alternative to a hybrid or cabinet saw.

But so far, I’m pretty pleased with the saw overall and LOVE how easy it is to move around and store. I’m (perhaps optimistically) giving it 5 stars based on my experience so far and what I expect to learn once I get a better unit in-hand.

Oh – I almost forgot – I got a heckuva deal on this sucker. Turns out Home Depot will honor HARBOR FREIGHT coupons, too! I get an email coupon from HF just about every week, offering 20% off any single item. That brought the price down from $499 to $400. And when I bought this last week, HD was offering a $75 instant rebate for tool purchases of $300-600 or so, so I ended up paying just $325!!

(Actually, they didn’t want to “stack” the discounts at first, but I talked to a manager and pointed out that the terms of the rebate didn’t say anything about “not valid with any other discount”, so he overrode the computer and gave me both deals. Might have had something to do with all the lumber I’d bought that week (with a Lowes 10% coupon!), or maybe he was just being cool.).

Here are some pics of the saw—I haven’t seen anything anywhere on the web about this model, and I thought you might like to see the changes:

Hope this is of interest!

View Bob N's profile

Bob N

#1 posted 09-27-2009 03:02 PM

Thanks for an excellent write up on this saw. I have the previous model and have loved it since the day I brought it home. I find it to be a very accurate tool in every way and the portability/storability is 2nd to none. The new features they have added are GREAT and I may have to consider a trade up at some point :) You sure got a nice deal on it as well.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your initial findings and I hope you will follow up with additional information after you get your replacement.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#2 posted 09-27-2009 05:11 PM

Thank you very much for posting this 4510. I am just a hobbyist struggling over a decision as whether to get the Ridgid granite top saw (stopped making cast iron?) or something like this. I’m space limited, so I need the mobility but I want less vibration, noise, and better accuracy. I keep reading reviews and keep getting confused.

My old inexpensive Delta 10 inch “motorized” saw has arbor wobble, vibrates, NOISE, no dust port but light weight and easiest bench tool I have to move around. So what to do?

If you replace it with later edition, let us know how it works out for you… the defects you noted gone, etc. I had not seen this version in the local HD. Didn’t know about HF coupons at HD… I need to check that out too.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#3 posted 09-27-2009 05:17 PM

Interesting..

I had one of the earlier models and upgraded to a cabinet saw. I often wish I still had it for doing work for friends and family. It is a nice little saw.

It does look like the new stand is not as substantial as the stands on the original models.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#4 posted 09-27-2009 05:32 PM

I’m pretty sure the Ridgid and the Bosch are the same saws, just different colors. If the Ridgid just came out with this new design, I would expect the Bosch clone to also. Does anyone know if these are indeed the same saws? I have the Bosch and I love it.

-- Tony, Ohio

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#5 posted 09-28-2009 05:53 AM

Checked again oday… my local HD did not have the Ridgid 4510 (4516?) They had the older model still. They won’t get the newer 4516 until the warehouse is empty of the older models… but no sale price either on older. And, the Ridgid planer was $100 more than the Dewalt equivalent. I didn’t understand that. They can’t get a cast iron table saw, but they have the newer granite top saw… go figure.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#6 posted 09-29-2009 01:21 AM

”Unfortunately, the table I received must have been a “Monday” saw.”

How can you give it 5 stars if you’re having issues with it and ”hope” that the replacement new one will be better ?
5 stars means it is an excellent product with zero flaws and zero issues , right out of the box ….to me anyway.

#7 posted 09-29-2009 01:28 AM

Thanks for the review

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#8 posted 09-29-2009 01:48 AM

Congrats on your new saw, and thanks for the reveiw!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View interpim's profile

interpim

#9 posted 09-29-2009 02:30 AM

wow I didn’t know HD took competitors coupons… I’ve been looking at the Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Drum Sander for a while. 20% off would take it down to $160. I get those coupons quite often as well.

-- San Diego, CA

View JPKnapp's profile

JPKnapp

18 posts in 2034 days

#10 posted 09-29-2009 02:48 AM

Another change, that can save you at least $50, based on your pics it now comes with a 40 tooth blade. The older versions come with 28 tooth that needs to be replaced.

Can you post a quick pick of the router insert? I have the non-you version and want to add one. Man. If I would have waited 6 months…

-- I specialize in expensive mistakes.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#11 posted 09-29-2009 03:30 AM

Lots of changes in the past 8 years. LOL I have the original TS2400 and hope it never wears out, too much orange on those new ones.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

#12 posted 09-29-2009 04:29 AM

Wow. Didn’t really expect so many comments—this is a really friendly board!

The Ridgid rep called today to let me know he has another saw in stock, so I’ll be swapping them this week. I’ll let y’all know if the next one is more in keeping with the QC I’ve enjoyed in the past with Ridgid stuff.

JPKnapp – good call, hadn’t noticed that one. I haven’t even tried out the blade that came with it yet.

As for the router table, this really is a quick and dirty design – I just had to have something, so I threw it together with stuff I had laying around. It’s just uncoated MDF right now – not even a laminate top or a coat of poly.

I didn’t have my camera handy, but I’ve drawn up the details in Sketchup. You can take the measurements off your own table and will likely need to monkey around a litttle to find what works for you as shims/locks, depending on the alignment of your table and rails. I used one L bracket in each corner on the back of the table and stacked two on each side on the front (the pivot-y ones) and got everything perfectly level. Your results will almost certainly vary, but you can see the basic concept.With a little more thought and a visit to the Reid Tool Supply website, I could probably rig up an adjustable leveler of some sort, but I built this in about an hour and it works just fine.

Hope you can see this image – you’ll probably have to right click and save it or open it in a new window to see and read everything.

#13 posted 09-29-2009 04:33 AM

Interpim – I got another coupon in email this week so I used one again today to buy a sander (hey, $15 is $15!) The manager okayed it, but said that in the future, they would only accept actual printed (or “cardboard”, as the checker put it) coupons from HF, not computer-printed ones. I think it depends on who’s working that day. No biggie—I seem to recall seeing 20% off coupons on the mailers, as well.

They said that they WOULD, however, always take the computer printed Lowes 10% off “moving” coupon that’s sent via email.

Good luck!

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

#14 posted 10-04-2009 08:29 PM

When we were in business, we were looking at these as job saws. thanks for the write up.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

#15 posted 10-11-2009 09:13 AM

I swapped out my saw this week – no problems, I didn’t even have to wait or do any paperwork – they just took the old saw gave me a new one. This saw is MUCH BETTER. Don’t know if I was unlucky last time or lucky this time, but I’m guessing that I just got a bad unit the first time out. I’ve owned a lot of Ridgid stuff over the years and have always been impressed with their quality and value.

Alignment was pretty darned close right out of the box – the fence needed to be tightened and squared just a little bit and I had to make a slight adjustment to the fence rails, but that’s about it. The table top is flat, the motor quiet and happy, and the arbor is well-balanced – I don’t have a tool to check actual runout, but it looks good and cuts beautifully.

The first saw must’ve had something really weird with the arbor, because in addition to being quieter and better-balanced, I have more arbor to work with on this saw. Weird. Likewise, the seriously-out-of-whack table/rails on the first saw—this saw feels much “tighter”—I actually had to shave a bit off my router insert because it wouldn’t fit in this table!

One thing that did bug me, though, is that this saw’s top, like the last one, had handprints on it, right out of the box. A little thing, but it’s something Ridgid should work on to improve the initial out-of-box experience.

Anyway, I’m happy. A very nice saw that’s easy to relocate, transport and store—and with the right coupons, etc, it’s a really excellent value.