Lignomat Comes Through Again

Review by pintodeluxe posted 03-06-2017 10:17 PM 1415 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lignomat Comes Through Again No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using a Lignomat meter for some time now, and I started with the E/D model. It works great, but I needed something that was compatible with remote moisture probes. The mini ligno MD/C model was just the ticket. It is a pin style moisture meter that works by itself as a portable meter, or you can plug it into optional remote wires and probes. The probes are drilled into the core of a lumber sample, and seem to give a true and accurate reading of the moisture content.

The MD/C only reads to full percentage points of moisture content, whereas the E/D reads to tenths of a percent once readings are below 10%. I thought this would be a negative, but now I see it doesn’t really matter. If the lumber is dry to 7%, I am happy. It doesn’t matter if actual moisture is 6.9 or 7.1, it’s still dry.

Watch your fingers as you install the remote probe wires into the meter! You push the leads in directly towards the sharp pins.

I use these for a lumber kiln application, but many woodworkers could benefit from core moisture readings as well. I look for a knot or defect in the board, and drill for the probes near that location. The board will eventually be cut to length at that spot, so I’m not damaging good stock. I trust core readings from the deep probes much more so than shallow pin readings. If you do want to use the pins, make a fresh cut in end grain and check it near the center of the board.

I can highly recommend this meter, especially if you want to add probes and wires at some point.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 03-06-2017 10:43 PM

Interesting Willie, thanks for sharing this.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://geraldlhunsucker.com/

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#2 posted 03-07-2017 12:42 AM

Great report. Add the Prong test and you are on your way to the woods balanced core and shell.

-- Wuddoc