Loctite GO2 Glue for filling a void

Review by FarmerintheWoods posted 03-05-2017 07:15 PM 2609 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Loctite GO2 Glue for filling a void No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

One of the blanks I have for my latest project is walnut with fancy grain. In the middle is a small bark inclusion, and in its center was a void/cavity. I used a Dremel with a round-end bit to clean out the cavity, and to get down to solid wood at about 1/8”.

With the blank laying horizontal, I filled the void with Loctite GO2 Glue. I figured it would flatten itself, because it seemed runny enough to do that, but it acted thicker and formed a ‘mound’ that rose up above the surface by maybe 1/8”. I didn’t want to make a mess, so I just left it sit for 24 hours.

As advertised, it dried crystal clear. It was also amazingly hard. To bring it flush with the wood surface, I began with 220 grit, and it didn’t want to touch it. So I went back to the 80 grit, and that worked—but this stuff proved to be harder than the wood itself. Then back to the 220.

The center hadn’t entirely cured yet, so I let it sit another 24 hours. By then it was fully cured. Lesson #1: use less glue. Lesson #2: give it 48 hours to cure.

I am completely happy with this particular use for GO2 Glue, and will use it again.

Here’s pix of before and after. The void is just a bit to the left of center. Today it was cloudy outside, so the second pic isn’t as good as the first.

View FarmerintheWoods's profile

FarmerintheWoods

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 03-05-2017 09:37 PM

That’s been my go to glue for several years. It’s a modified polyurethane glue that does not require moisture to cure. It never crossed my mind to use it on wood, but I definitely will now.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. The lame pun was intended, but I didn’t think it warranted a lol or anything.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

View dorald's profile

dorald

#2 posted 03-06-2017 01:32 PM

After using this product as you did, any thoughts about mixing some of the surrounding wood dust into it to help mask its presents?

Also, do you think it is entirely necessary to “carve out” the cavity so much? Did the glue seem to flow well?

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#3 posted 03-06-2017 02:15 PM

Glad it worked for you.
I use it for much smaller voids. Epoxy for bigger holes. Cheaper.

View FarmerintheWoods's profile

FarmerintheWoods

#4 posted 03-06-2017 02:53 PM

Epoxy was my first thought, but I was shopping at Wal-Mart and all their epoxies said that it turned yellow after curing. I was looking for something that was crystal-clear.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#5 posted 03-06-2017 06:23 PM

- FarmerintheWoods

I love these bubble packs. I use the black and red ones all of the time (they have a wide variety of types). What is nice is that they don’t go bad as easily as a container of epoxy and resin. What’s bad is that they are not cheap.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

#6 posted 03-07-2017 12:14 AM

Awesome information

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#7 posted 03-07-2017 01:07 PM

- FarmerintheWoods

I use System 3. It’s clear. Though that’s no biggie for my usual applications because I either color it or add turquoise.

View Tennessee's profile (online now)

Tennessee

#8 posted 03-10-2017 01:13 PM

I went to this Locktite product about two years ago for multiple items – filling holes in Ambrosia Maple, filling some voids and making my golf club hat racks.
I pick it up at Home Depot for about $15 and change, since Lowe’s stopped carrying it.
Much cheaper than any of the other high strength glues. I do still use superglue on my pens, though.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#9 posted 03-11-2017 03:56 PM

I’ve been using the locktite 2 part epoxy for yrs, I add a drop trans tint dye to it often. Takes a little longer to cure than 5 mins for big voids. Sometimes over night but this stuff is my go to fixer. Enjoy.