|Review by FarmerintheWoods||posted 03-05-2017 07:15 PM||1701 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
One of the blanks I have for my latest project is walnut with fancy grain. In the middle is a small bark inclusion, and in its center was a void/cavity. I used a Dremel with a round-end bit to clean out the cavity, and to get down to solid wood at about 1/8”.
With the blank laying horizontal, I filled the void with Loctite GO2 Glue. I figured it would flatten itself, because it seemed runny enough to do that, but it acted thicker and formed a ‘mound’ that rose up above the surface by maybe 1/8”. I didn’t want to make a mess, so I just left it sit for 24 hours.
As advertised, it dried crystal clear. It was also amazingly hard. To bring it flush with the wood surface, I began with 220 grit, and it didn’t want to touch it. So I went back to the 80 grit, and that worked—but this stuff proved to be harder than the wood itself. Then back to the 220.
The center hadn’t entirely cured yet, so I let it sit another 24 hours. By then it was fully cured. Lesson #1: use less glue. Lesson #2: give it 48 hours to cure.
I am completely happy with this particular use for GO2 Glue, and will use it again.
Here’s pix of before and after. The void is just a bit to the left of center. Today it was cloudy outside, so the second pic isn’t as good as the first.