Good Cheap Collet Chucks

Review by OSU55 posted 03-03-2017 04:33 PM 1149 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Cheap Collet Chucks Good Cheap Collet Chucks No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve tried various methods of holding small diameter material in the lathe spindle with varying degrees of success – examples: tool handles or knobs with threaded inserts or a bolt head epoxied into the wood. I had looked at various collet chucking accessories available, with probably the best value at PSI tools, 4 sizes of collets for ~$95. At a wood show recently I saw this from Brown’s Best:

Priced at $20, I almost bought one but decided against it, in part because it was just one size. A little internet surfing turned up the pictured set of collets on ebay for $55 free shipping. 7 sizes, 1/8” to 1/2” in 1/16” increments, for an MT2 taper. A piece of 3/8-16 all-thread to thread into the back of the collets and go through the spindle head, and a shopmade threaded handle to tighten, and I’m in business. Now I can hold about any size screw, bolt, shaft in the spindle and turn the wood perfectly concentric to the center.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

#1 posted 03-04-2017 04:31 AM

Good find! I’ve wanted a good set but have always been put off by the prices. This will make cobbling way safer;)

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#2 posted 03-04-2017 05:53 AM

I have a set of collet chucks from LittleMachineShop.com.I love mine.I paid a little more though.Thanks for the review.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#3 posted 03-04-2017 12:32 PM

I looked them up. I think you meant to say the #7 taper which has 8 sizes, 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, all at $12.95 a piece… On the other hand, they do also show 11 sizes of #3 taper, but only goes down to 1/8, but as high as 3/4” and these are only $11.50 a pop

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#4 posted 03-04-2017 01:41 PM

Here’s the link to the current ebay listing:

What I forgot to say is they are for an MT2 taper, which I have edited. there are 7 pcs sized as described.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#5 posted 03-04-2017 01:43 PM

This seems to be what he found, from allindustrialtoolsupply, which may be different from the actual allindustrial brand.

Seems like a really cool set for those who do small items. Like that set.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View bushmaster's profile

bushmaster

2193 posts in 2002 days

#6 posted 03-05-2017 02:29 PM

Found this posting interesting as I never thought of using them on the wood lathe, I have a set for my milling machine of a different taper. Off shore but nicely machined. Then I bought a collet chuck and collets, inexpensive also, used it on mt metal lathe to make a perfect on center Vee Drum sander drum. Any way I see from your post it would be useful on the wood lathe to. It goes up to 3/4 and is a No. 2 morse. Do not know where I got it, Here is a picture of it. I would say in the 50 to 75 dollar range. Threaded for a hold in rod.

-- Brian - Hazelton, British Columbia

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#7 posted 03-10-2017 01:19 PM

Brian…
There is one like that on Amazon from ETD, same box, same looking set, for $163. Too rich for me… If you scored that for $75, nice!

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN