Craftsman 10" SCMS....A DO NOT buy

Review by MedicKen posted 09-25-2009 05:22 AM 5863 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 10" SCMS....A DO NOT buy Craftsman 10" SCMS....A DO NOT buy Craftsman 10" SCMS....A DO NOT buy Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw brand new a couple of years ago. I wanted to give it a good run before doing a review. My first overall impression when I was looking for a saw was this would fit the bill and work nicely for my needs.

I looked at some of the major brands when I decided I need a SCMS. My first choice was Bosch, but the price drove me away. Then I went to DeWalt but I couldnt find the model I wanted locally and I wasnt gonna pay for shipping. So I guess I kinda settled on this one. I should have paid the shipping.

The Craftsman is OK, but thats it, just OK. After using the saw for the last 2 years I have noticed that it has a habit of not staying square. when I purchased the saw it was not even close to being square. I did a complete tune up and had it cutting perfect. I started to notice after a few months my cuts werent as good as they once were. I checked the fence and it had moved. How can this happen? As you can see in the pics the saw is set up on a B&D workmate and it very seldom moves. If I do move it its moved while on the workmate.

The fence is only 4” or so in height and most definately doesnt support taller crown moulding. I have made a jig to hold the crown, which should be done no matter what saw you own. As you can see in the pic below the fence is NOT 90 degrees to the table and there is NO adjustment.

The table adjustments to rotate the saw to different angles is very hard to move. It almost takes both hands even with it secured to a table. You can forget about trying to adjust to a compound angle. It does have an upfront bevel lock/control which I thought would be an asset, its not.

I did replace the factory blade with a Freud amana 10” 80 tooth with a 5 degree neg hook. The blade is great and I may do seperate review there.

Dust collection…......What dust collection? I know that is a major issue with all miter saws, not just this one. I have tried just about everything, attached my shop vacuum to the dust port included. Now I just place a fan close and blow the saw dust away.

The positives of the saw are when I turn it on it runs, but thats about it.

I have noticed that Jet has a new model SCMS, it is an exact duplicate of this saw. The only dofference are the Jet colors and stickers.

I guess I will start saving the change for a Bosch.

As far as I am concerned I should have waited or paid the shipping. If you see this saw walk away, no run. I think it may go on my next deep sea fishing trip. I may a little extra weight.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2052 days

#1 posted 09-25-2009 05:30 AM

I also looked at the Craftsman slider because of the attractive price. I then purchased a used Hitachi C10FSH http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FSH-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B00007J8CH from Craigslist for $280.00 including a good used blade and a brand new 80 tooth blade. The Hitachi saw quickly became one of my most favorite tools of all time. Now I would not want to be without one.

View ahock's profile

ahock

102 posts in 2072 days

#2 posted 09-25-2009 06:25 AM

Sometimes it seems like craftsman tools are designed and engineered by completely different people.
Mechanics tools – decent
Table saw – nice
small power tools – not so nice

I have a Bosch and Makita, and except for the rear bevel control on the Makita I would have to say that it is my favorite. The Bosch can handle the jobsite much better than the Makita though. The Makita is more of a workshop saw.

-- Andy, PA ~Finding satisfaction in creation

#3 posted 09-25-2009 06:27 AM

I call them Crapsman

#4 posted 09-25-2009 07:11 AM

Other than their hand tools , I’ll never buy anything else with the Craftsman name on it again.

View mikethetermite's profile

mikethetermite

469 posts in 2014 days

#5 posted 09-25-2009 07:40 AM

My youngest son has the same saw, with the same problems. When he took it back to sears, the Mgr. petty much told him he bought it and now he is stuck with it. He too said he would never buy anything else with the Craftsman name. He now has me looking for a DeWalt like mine.

-- Mike The Termite ~~~~~ Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it.

View patron's profile

patron

13171 posts in 2089 days

#6 posted 09-25-2009 10:33 AM

as the old saying goes ,
” you get what you pay for ” .

in this new business world ,
it seems you also get ,
” what they pay for ” .

which turns out to be ,
” next to nothing ” .

#7 posted 09-25-2009 01:48 PM

Ken, thanks for the review. I have to agree with the comments about Craftsman power tools. I have the Hitachi 10” slider and it is one of my favorite tools.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#8 posted 09-25-2009 03:26 PM

I guess I should have mentioned this saw was not cheap. If i remember correctly (IIRC) it was in the neighborhood of $375. I was a little skeptical when I bought it knowing the Crapsman has gone with value engineering. I also had a C-man table saw that I recently sold. I will not buy another power tool that has the Craftsman name on it. PERIOD!!

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#9 posted 09-25-2009 03:44 PM

A little over a year ago I too was looking for a compound, sliding, miter saw. I looked at them all and decided on either a Bosch or Hitachi with Bosch being my first choice. Interestingly I purchased it at Sears (they carry some Bosch stuff) for not much more than the Craftsman. It’s a 12” by the way. They had it on sale for something like $150 off the regular price. At the time no one, Amazon, or other online store could touch the price.
My bosch saw rocks. I set it up once and have just checked it. No issues.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#10 posted 09-25-2009 06:26 PM

“you get what you pay for”

mmmm… well, the problem is these craftsman models are inflated in price and often of quality lower than Skil or B&D, which cost far less.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#11 posted 09-25-2009 06:38 PM

Thanks for the Review… I will stop looking at Crapsman power tools…

View UnionLabel's profile

UnionLabel

660 posts in 1948 days

#12 posted 09-25-2009 08:00 PM

I think the problem came when they decided to just make tools that LOOK like everybody else, but didn’t work worth diddly. I have Craftsman Power tools but they are all over 30 yrs old and were built by people who actually cared about performance. My table saw is over 50 and the bed, bearings and arbor are still true to each other. It weighs a ton, but I would only give it up for a cabinet saw, and even then I would have to think about it.
Kind of like buying a Weber grill from the BORG instead of Ace Hardware, only thing in common is the name.

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

View mziem's profile

mziem

24 posts in 2065 days

#13 posted 09-26-2009 05:38 PM

Thanks for the update Ken. I was looking at some of the Crafts…er ah Crapsman tools lately. I think I’ll just keep looking somewhere else.

-- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellance, therefore, is not an act but a habit. ~Aristotle~

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 2047 days

#14 posted 09-26-2009 05:44 PM

The Sears here in Victoria is always having specials on their chop saws, sliding and otherwise. Nobody appears to be buying them. Up close the fit and finish on these saws seemed a little iffy. Definitely not going to consider buying one now.

-J.

View jake's profile

jake

#15 posted 09-27-2009 01:48 PM

For people who purchase Craftsman tools, the first three numbers of the model is the source code. The 137 indicates that this is made my Rexon, who exports to 70 countries and is one of the worlds largest tool manufacturers. They did put some tools out under a private label that is seen here and there, called Tradesman. They make a full line of powertools though and are an ODM, selling their product mostly to other companies who put their labels on them. So it’s not surprising that you will likely see this saw under different names. Acer computers made components for the big name computer companies that we all own and then launched their own products, and now they practically own the new netbook market. Rexon is growing at a staggering pace also. If you google Craftsman source codes, you can see the list before you buy. This is a good way to check out Craftsman best buys as many are made by very good firms and for those who feel burned in the past may find the better deals this way. For example, Orion is actually a division of Steel City who makes many of their better table saws that have gotten very good reviews. I picked up a biscuit joiner that is really a DeWalt with Craftsman name and my dust collector is a Delta with Craftsman name. When they run the Craftsman days sales I use the coupons and sometimes the prices cant be beat for the same product with a brand name I dont want to pay for.