Replacement Screw (saves a tool)

Review by socrbent posted 02-26-2017 11:14 PM 1903 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Replacement Screw (saves a tool) Replacement Screw (saves a tool) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Early last week I had a big oops – dropped my 6” double square on the floor. It broke the tang off the screw that holds the ruler in place. Looked like this tool was toast as a double square. The item was bought from Woodcraft under the Pinnacle name and I didn’t see where they carried parts. After some time searching I got lucky and found a link to this replacement part from Little Machine Shop. The 6” PEC double square they sell seemed to be an exact match which meant the replacement part should work.

A call to them got me to a kind gentleman who looked up specs for their double square which matched the one I had. He offered to take it back if it did not fit. I was impressed by his courtesy and willingness to take time on something with such a small value to them.

Ordered the replacement screw, nut and spring and it arrived in 3 days for $4.95 plus $3 for shipping from California to Ohio via USPS. It fits perfectly and revived the square. Tested to see if it was indeed still square and as near as I can tell it is good to go saving me at least $40 to replace the item.

-- socrbent Ohio

View socrbent's profile

socrbent

View Kelster58's profile

Kelster58

#1 posted 02-27-2017 12:10 AM

It’s nice when you search for and then find an obscure part you need. A big bonus when you find a person that is nice and helpful when you order the part. You should go play the lottery. That doesn’t happen often.

-- K. Stone “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

View ocean's profile

ocean

#2 posted 02-27-2017 12:57 AM

I dropped my own Pinnicale square which I purchased from Woodcraft. Not knowing where to turn, I called Woodcraft and they mailed me a replacement for no charge. Thanks Woodcraft.

-- Bob, FL Keys

View Iamjacob's profile

Iamjacob

#3 posted 02-27-2017 06:53 PM

I did the same thing to my 4” square almost 6 months ago and bought the same exact part. The same part works for the 4” and the 6”. I bought 3 just in case it happens again.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 02-27-2017 09:36 PM

Little Machine Shop is a favorite of the hobby metal workers on forums such as the Hobby-Machinist.com or CNCZone.com

They seem like really good people and are distributor for Tormach, which makes a line of very popular entry level commercial CNC milling machines and lathes.

I knew they stocked a lot of spare parts for hobby mills and lathes, but never would have thought of going to them for a little bit like that.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

3107 posts in 2002 days

#5 posted 02-28-2017 02:47 AM

Well thanks for the review and info the site is saved.

View Andre's profile

Andre

2063 posts in 1951 days

#6 posted 02-28-2017 03:41 AM

Did same thing to my 4” Veritas, went to Lee Valley, they actually carry that part in stock, think it was like $2.00.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View David 's profile

David

#7 posted 04-02-2017 01:40 PM

I had the same thing happen… contacted Pinnacle… twice… no answer. Finally I tried making my own by grinding a standard thread bolt down … a little work with a file and walla…. I’m back in business. If I had known that I could’ve ordered them though I would have done that…and at least an extra too.

Sheesh!?? I went to Veritas, Lee Valley… did you guys just call the place and talk with some one? Maybe too specialized to simply order online?

View socrbent's profile

socrbent

#8 posted 04-02-2017 01:53 PM

Does Pinnacle exist? My impression was that Pinnacle was a name used by Woodcraft like Woodriver for their planes. I did attempt to get help from Woodcraft and got no where. I found Little Machine Shop in a Google search. My guess is they may make the Pinnacle double squares for Woodcraft since their double square appears to be a twin of the one sold by Woodcraft.

-- socrbent Ohio