Mixed Feelings

Review by Dustin posted 02-24-2017 01:38 PM 2656 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mixed Feelings No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I recently order the DeWalt 734 planer and DW7350 planer stand (want to use the planer more before reviewing, but great initial impressions). I got the stand last night and began assembly, and wanted to share my thoughts.

PROS:
-Excellently packaged. There is no room for jostling or movement of any kind, and everything was easy to find straight out of the box.
-Sturdy (...ish. more below). The stand feels substantial, all bolt holes lined up well, and it claims a max load of 300 lbs, which is ample for an 80lb planer.
-Cosmetics. What can I say, it’s pretty appealing to look at.
-Customer Service (see very bottom).

CONS:
-The included leveling feet were the only bolts with a different thread in the entire hardware kit, but the nuts included in the leveling feet package (all hardware is grouped by purpose/location) did not fit the thread. These two nuts for the feet are the same thread as all the others in the kit (1/4-20?), while the feet were a finer thread. This is my biggest gripe, as it prevents me from completing full assembly (I went ahead without them for now, to assess how the rest of the stand went together).
-Instructions: I know this is minor, but still a hassle. I’ve read older reviews where they left off how to assemble the base frame, stating that it comes pre-assembled (it does not), but that has now been addressed. However, the assembly instructions are printed on the back page of the exploded diagram: it would have been nicer to have those on adjacent pages. Also, though correct in the instructions, the diagram shows the wrong bolts being used to mount the caster and planer.

In-between:
-As I’ve read other reviewers mention, they use fully threaded bolts to run through the entirely plastic wheels, instead of using bolts that are smooth bore in the middle. I have some concerns that over time, movement of the stand will cause unnecessary wear on the casters.
-Only 1 bolt secures each leg to the base. There are other supporting/bracing structures, but I find this a little odd. The legs have two holes on adjacent faces, but the base has only one through which to attach. Would it really be so hard to drill another 4 holes in the base and provide bolts/nuts? Should I feel this is becoming an issue, I know I can just drill and supply my own hardware, but this seems like a skimpy design choice.

I will say that after reading other reviews, I hadn’t gotten my hopes up of a resolution through DeWalt’s customer service. I was pleasantly surprised. The gentleman I spoke with was very friendly, and after I described the issue immediately volunteered to send me two new leveling feet. I’ll update when they arrive as to whether or not they are any better, but the rating will likely remain the same (I’d call it 2 1/2 stars for now).

This was just an odd experience. For all intents and purposed, you have a heavy duty, functional, appealing stand. But the quality control and design flaw of the threaded caster bolts is kind of glaring. If none of these issues had been present, it would have been a five-star rating, even with the goofy single-bolt leg attachments.

UPDATE:
Alright, so after having this thing for a week, moving it around a lot, using the planer on it, and seeing feedback, a couple of my concerns have been eliminated.

1) Due to the comments of other LJs having this for years, it is apparent that the threaded bolts through the plastic wheels may not be as much cause for concern as previously thought.

2) I got the replacement feet from Dewalt yesterday, and sure enough, they were threaded correctly this time. Got them on and adjusted, and this thing is rock solid.

Considering that my major issues were resolved in a timely manner, and the only other qualm I have is really a minor one (instructions), I feel more justified in amending my previous review and granting this product 5 stars. Not only is it functional, but my 734 on this stand is by far the most attractive tool in my shop!

Others looking at purchasing this planer stand: read the comments below. If you have any concerns over design, quality, etc, I hope they will alleviate any concerns.

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

#1 posted 02-24-2017 03:53 PM

I know what you mean about the one bolt on the legs, that is weird.

Otherwise it is a great stand, and surprisingly sturdy and vibration-free. The foot lift mechanism can be turned inboard, but facing outward. Once you do this, there is no longer a tripping hazard.

What I like the most is that I can tuck my planer away when not in use.

#2 posted 02-24-2017 04:15 PM

^^
The only way to eliminate a tripping hazard for me is to sit down :p
But yeah, everything makes sense with the exceptions of those issues. I just wish there were a way to notify product management of these issues (the cs rep I spoke to didn’t seem like he knew how, as I did ask how much they paid attention to feedback). They’re super close to a flawless stand that’s well worth the expense (as I’m not too keen on picking that planer up over and over), but someone is dropping the ball. I’m a big fan of DeWalt, and hope they identify and rectify the weak link in this chain.

And FWIW, I’d give their customer service from this experience 5 stars. Every wait came with an apology, every problem was provided a solution.

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

#3 posted 02-24-2017 05:15 PM

I’ve had my stand for many years and it is still rock-solid. I expect once you get over the initial glitch, you will also be very pleased.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

#4 posted 02-24-2017 05:24 PM

Chuck,
I expect so. I’ll likely forego securing the feet for now, and just use it anyways (not running anything large through). I have to say, I’m blown away at the quality of the planer, and my basis of comparison is an older model Makita 2012 (the last model before it’s current 2012NB appearance).

#5 posted 02-25-2017 04:28 PM

My planer looks like yours, but is the DW735 version, and I’ve had it on one of these stands since it was new, ~ a couple years back. Compared to all the other mobile bases in my shop (6 or 7 of ‘em, I recall), this is a really good one.

It has a good finish, and I like that the legs are vertical rather than splayed. I like how easy it lifts to be rolled, and then releases to sit on the floor. I like that it includes a shelf space as a standard feature, that also adds to its rigidity.

No issues at all for this stand for me, except I guess I do wish it had cost less!

Fortunately I found it easy enough to put together. Also, there were a couple of youtube videos on how to put it together that were great primers before starting. I’m big on checking for videos on everything these days. I do not recall issues with the fasteners (but I’m lucky to have a superb hardware store nearby so I can always get any needed fastening components quite quickly and easily).

I hope you begin to truly enjoy yours once it is in regular use.

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#6 posted 02-26-2017 04:32 PM

I had no issues with mine. Very impressed. I did however mount the pedal for the roller, towards the inside so it doesn’t cause a trip hazard. Works great!

-- Chuck, Michigan,

#7 posted 02-26-2017 05:16 PM

Getting the wrong leveling bolts is certainly unfortunate.

Well, yes – the lift pedal is best positioned on the inside of the base frame.

In almost every photo of this stand on the web, that’s where it is. That includes the pic from the Dewalt website, for example.
It would never have occurred to me to mount it with the pedal protruding on the outside.

The single bolt on each leg, attaching the stand to its base, is not a problem for me. I have other equipment, including a Unisaw with extension, and a 1.75HP 14” bandsaw, that simple sit in their mobile base frames, with zero attachment bolts. With all my mobile bases, gravity does an adequate job of keeping the machines in their base framework, so a single bolt is an added security measure for when you push it from he upper level and might accidentally tilt a leg/foot out of the frame.

;

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#8 posted 02-26-2017 10:40 PM

It’s the small details that make all the difference.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#9 posted 02-27-2017 06:13 AM

Exactly, and small details includes proper engineering.
In practice, random over-engineering is easier to do.