Good resaw blade

Review by Sawdust2 posted 1765 days ago 4917 views 5 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good resaw blade Good resaw blade Good resaw blade Click the pictures to enlarge them

My Highland Woodworking Woodslicer got dulled up really bad because I did not pay attention when I put it on the Jet bandsaw. I was using a 3/4” and it was really too big for a 14” bandsaw. I ended up running it against the blade guard and just beat the crap out of the teeth. My bad.

Markrules is a fellow LJ and reps Morse blades. He suggested that I try their 4 TPI 1/2” blade.
Well, when I unfurled the blade one of the teeth caught my thumb. I can tell you that the teeth are sharp. My bad. I have a little blade shaped gouge on my thumb.

I put this blade on my saw and roughly centered it on the wheels. Adjusted the guides to just behind the teeth and left a little room on the back guide for the blade to press against. Tensioned it up to where I thought it should be according to the marks on the tension bar.

I had three hunks of oak that I wanted to resaw. I also planned to resaw some of this wood pretty thin, so I made a large fence that fit over the regular fence. Picture 2.

Right off the bat the blade ran straight and true. I’ve got the 6” riser on the saw so I can get a good 12” cut. Sliced thru the oak like a warm knife thru butter. Picture 3 is some of what was cut.

I also cut some poplar. Same easy cut and no drift. I cut the oak as thin as 1/4” and the poplar as fine at 1/8”. For me, that is a first. I really don’t think I need the fence except to guide my shaky hand.

Now the blade is not shiny and pretty like the Woodslicer. It’s a flat gray. Who cares about the color?! Mark says that the blade will wear out before the teeth dull (as long as you don’t run the teeth against the blade guard.) I’ve only cut up three oak logs 12” diameter and 2’ long so I can’t attest to that but I can tell you that the teeth are sharp and it cuts true, straight and fast.

Morse is not carried by Woodcraft or Rockler or Stone Mountain in the Atlanta area so you will probably have to go to their website to find a dealer near you. www.mkmorse.com Worth the search. This is my new favorite resaw blade.

Sawdust2

Lee: A great review. I bought one of the Woodslicer blade and It cut beautifully but the blade life was just a couple of boards.

I’m glad to hear about the Morse Blade.

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

525 posts in 2079 days

I use the same one on my 26” Delta. Well, not the exact same, mine are 13” long, but you know what I mean. When they are new they cut great. Very little effort needed to feed the stock and a very smooth cut, considering it’s a bandsaw. I’ve cut just shy of a quarter inch thick slice of hickory that was about 4 inches thick with no problems.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

Lee,
Thanks for the review. Now that I have a band saw, I can actually use the info you provided.
I actually never heard of Morse, I’m going to check it out !

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

Lee,
Thanks for the mention. The blade looks gray and dull because it’s a bimetal band. We sandblast the band to remove oils from the manufacturing process. It’s a Matrix II blade which will cut any wood you could throw on the saw. The best part about our bands is that they’re made in America by a family-owned company (Yankees from Ohio, but don’t tell anyone).

Love this review it helps me decide the new blade that will be going in my saw today!
Thx, Ken

Lee, thanks for the review. I did not know about Morse and have always just considered the Woodslicer and Timberwolf series of blades. I will have to take a look at their website.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Maybe it’s just me but I went to www.mkmorse.com and could not find the blade you mentioned or any dealer search item. Am I doing something wrong?

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

Sawdust2

Don’t know, John. I’ve asked Mark to chime in.
I see that you can order directly from the factory.

markrules

Sorry for not writing back earlier. I’m on the road (literally) and have been busy today. Our website is being updated, and as you can tell, it needs a lot of work.

We sell through local and national distribution. Hardware stores, industrial supply places, saw sharpening shops and so forth. If you’d like to try the blade Lee is using, message me and I’ll get you hooked up with someone in your area. If enough of you like them, I can go to some of the online stores to talk about getting them set up to sell our bands.
Markt@mkmorse.com

oops once

markrules

OOPs. Guess it was working.

oops thrice

View mikethetermite's profile

mikethetermite

TryTimber Wolf Bandsaw Blades sold at Woodcrafters, I have been very happy with them. They cost a little more but seem to last longer.

-- Mike The Termite ~~~~~ Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it.

Sawdust2

I guess it depends on the circumstances.
I like Timberwolf for 1/4” general cutting blades.
The 1/2” resaw blade I had from TW gummed up in about 100’ of mahogany and when cleaned did not cut worth a darn.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

I’ve had two TW blades to date , first one broke while cutting Pine and the second one snapped at the factory weld. I’ve installed an Olsen 1/2” blade about six months ago and it still cuts like a dream for me AND was quite a bit lower priced than the TWs : )