SawStop customer service fail becomes big success

Review by leftcoaster posted 02-23-2017 04:24 PM 4669 views 0 times favorited 66 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop customer service fail becomes big success No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

UPDATE SawStop came through as a result of this post and while the sales team was initially flummoxed (“this is unprecedented. I will have to get back to you.”) when I called about Mr. Gass’ gracious offer, they did come through and I am happily using my overarm dust collector. Cut some MDF yesterday and performance was excellent. Many thanks to SawStop – I look forward to using your product for many years to come.

I bought a sawstop PCS 3hp last week. Today I received a flyer saying that they’re giving away the over arm dust collection or mobile base for purchases after march 1.

I called sawstop to see if they would exhibit some flexibility on the promotion since it’s an expensive item and a difference of only two weeks. I just finished setting it up and haven’t made a single cut yet.

????

For a company tha touts its customer support awesomeness, this seems like a silly place to draw a hard line but that’s what they did. The PVC can’t cost more than $25.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#1 posted 02-23-2017 04:46 PM

Let me see if I understand this…

You bought a saw at retail from some source (was it directly from SawStop?)

A week later the manufacturer sends you a flyer saying if you buy a new saw after March 1 you will get the accessory free.

Since you bought the saw before the “special” begins they won’t give you the freebee…

Question: If you had not bought the saw last week, would you think you are entitled to the freebee if you bought the saw now, still a week before the start of the “special”??? What if a couple of years from now they have a 50% off sale, do you think they should give you that special pricing adjustment if you bought the system now?

Of course you could always return the saw for a refund (do they give a full refund, including shipping on “I don’t want it after all…” returns?) and then but the system again after March 1.

Overall, can’t see this as a customer service fail.

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 02-23-2017 05:29 PM

I think this is a frustration review. Yes, too bad you did not get the freebie. I bought mine 5 years ago and did not get it.
Lucky for me, my son bought one last year with the overarm dust collector as a freebie and he gave it to me.

I do not think it is a customer support issue but a sales policy. Where does a company draw the line? They have given the overarm dust collector on and off during the years. You just hit an off time.

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#3 posted 02-23-2017 05:31 PM

Have you tried going a little farther up the line? The CSR you spoke to may not have the authority to include you in their ‘special’. While I wouldn’t necessarily call this a “Fail”, I would call it poor judgement on their part.
You have just spent a large sum of money with their company, I think it would be in their best interest to see that you were afforded a small favor. However, it’s their company not mine.
I would call them again.

-- Chem, Central California

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#4 posted 02-23-2017 05:32 PM

Herb that’s the route I would take. It does appear to be petty they wouldn’t honor the special. Also, the special was probably known by the retailer in advance. They are usually apprised of these types of promotions in advance so they can prepare for the demand and advertise it as well. They could have informed the OP.

I seem to remember department stores doing something like this. If they ran a sale and you returned within a specified period of time of the sale, with your original receipt, they would credit back the difference. Not sure they still do that. Customers are no longer appreciated, though I can’t understand why. Seems we’re treated like an opponent rather than an asset.

I guess I would inform them that I could return the saw for a refund and at their cost which I’m sure exceeds their freebee, and see what they say.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

#5 posted 02-23-2017 05:47 PM

I don’t think you are missing much without the overarm dust collection. I didn’t get one, because I knew I would never use it.

It’s kind of like those Board Buddy contraptions. They look like a great idea, but actually get in the way of your work. Dust collection is pretty good on that saw when making trapped cuts. I leave an extra 1/4” stock when ripping and flipping, so I’m not making skim cuts. That’s when the dust starts to spew.

#6 posted 02-23-2017 06:16 PM

Yes, I realize that there are limits to how far a company can flex on these things. Where’s the line? That depends obviously. I would put it at a month. Ultimately it’s SawStop’s decision, but one that they do not make in a vacuum—as a customer I’m entitled to an opinion about their offering and I consider this aspect of it a failure.

View jplemons's profile

jplemons

#7 posted 02-23-2017 08:51 PM

Yes, but I don’t think they deserve a one-star review because of it. I’d be bummed as well but wouldn’t rate the product low because I failed to research sales effectively.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#8 posted 02-23-2017 08:53 PM

I consider it a bonus if a company will expand their deal beyond the stated terms, not a negative if they won’t.

#9 posted 02-23-2017 09:07 PM

To be clear, I’m one-starring their customer service experience. I believe my review title makes this clear.

There are plenty of 5 star reviews of the saw itself (though the overhead dust collection seems less well loved) and those figured significantly in my purchasing decision.

View Woodbum's profile

Woodbum

#10 posted 02-23-2017 09:17 PM

Promotional windows established by manufacturers are not set up to punish customers that bought outside of the window. They are established to add value to a product to induce buyers that might be on the bubble to purchase the item at that time. Basic marketing 101. Would the OP not have purchased the Sawstop saw had he known that this would happen? Who knows, but a marketing program that did not work in his favor; through no fault of Sawstop; is IMHO, is no reason to whack the product or their CS with the lowest unfavorable review possible. Yes ,as their customer, your opinion regarding a month window outside of their window is your prerogative since it is your hard earned money that you spent with them; just as it is their prerogative to respectfully disagree with you. I am not one of the purported “Sawstop haters” that people on LJs rag on; but It has never been one of favorite companies either. Suck it up and go out in the shop and make something with your terrific new table saw. You made a good choice with your purchase. Better luck next time with the extras.

-- "Now I'm just another old guy wearing funny clothes"

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#11 posted 02-23-2017 09:30 PM

- Woodbum

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

#12 posted 02-23-2017 09:56 PM

Best Buy has price matched numerous items for me that was outside of the promotions. I believe they do it up to 30 days. So it maybe out of the promotion but there are stores that do help out the customers. I guess that’s customer service 101. Keep customers happy they keep buying from you if you are in the refund window ask for the refund and rebuy if that’s your prerogative.

#13 posted 02-23-2017 09:59 PM

Right, I could have said, “fine, I’ll return it and then buy it again from another retailer,” which would be petty and jerky and a PITA for a large item like this.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that (combining two comments above), this episode is a tension between Marketing 101 and Customer Service 101. As the customer in this episode, I’m grading them an F on that aspect of their service offering.

View bglenden's profile

bglenden

#14 posted 02-23-2017 10:09 PM

Your grade is your grade, but it’s not a reasonable one in my opinion.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#15 posted 02-23-2017 11:04 PM

Sorry, can’t support the OP on this one. Had he done his due diligence, or even been paying attention, he’d have known that every year SawStop runs this promotion in March or April.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.