comparison with Rockwell

Review by Sawdust2 posted 1794 days ago 2591 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
comparison with Rockwell comparison with Rockwell comparison with Rockwell Click the pictures to enlarge them

The task was to lower a bar stool 2 1/4”.
And not have the usual problem with not level legs when we got done.

We also had a Fein Multimaster and the new Porter Cable SoniCrafter

To ensure the same length was cut off each leg we cut a piece of PVC to 2 1/4”.The Fein and the PC each had a couple of blades that could be used but we took the round serrated blades as they were the same thickness.
We just ran the blades around the leg resting them on the PVC. That gave us a uniform height from the bench.
Fortunately we could not cut all the way through the leg at that point.
We could not cut all the way thru with the Fein because the housing stopped at the leg. We could not cut all the way thru with the PC because the dust collector butted up against the leg. Draw.

The weight is virtually the same. Draw.

The Fein is louder because the motor is slightly more powerful. Both appeared to vibrate about the same in our hands.

Both cut with equal ease. Draw

Fein’s power cord is 2x long as the PC power cord.

PC is about half the price of the Fein.

We decided that price had to be the deciding factor. If you are a professional you should get the Fein. If you are a hobbyest the PC will give you almost (95%) the same machine for half the price.

Neither machine is a one tool wonder. We are amazed at the different projects we have been able to use them on.

Why was it fortunate that neither machine could cut all the way through the leg? It allowed us to cut all the legs to the same height from the same reference point. We then turned them upside down and cut the nubs off with my duzuki saw. Which just fit in the kerf from the two saws.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

View Mark Shymanski's profile (online now)

Mark Shymanski

Thanks for the comparison. These intrigue me, I just haven’t figured out how to start a project big enough to justify buying one but small enough to not get in the way of other projects :-)

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

lee a great review. I’ve got he Fein I also have the Bosch Fine Cut. The Fine Cut might not even be sold anymore, but it would have cut off the legs.

A Popular Mechanice review

View Douglas Bordner's profile (online now)

Douglas Bordner

I finagled the Fein from the family budget when I had to remove petrified caulking from 10 old windows. Pam and I have used it for everything from removing peeling paint from exterior trim, to cutting a small tree out of the chainlink fence (I used the longer straight e-cut blades) and plunge angle cutting the bottom part of a rotting door casement in situ. It is one sweet tool, and I love that long cord.
Now I see Crapsman, er ah, Craftsman has a cordless version. I think I will be able to resist that siren’s song.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

Wow, thanks for that. It’s nice to see the comparison of the two saws.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

112011 posts in 2204 days

good review Lee

View jake's profile

jake

Thanks, I have been looking at couple different versions and didnt know PC had one out. I am a little confused as the picture seems to show a Rockwell that I thought was made by the Positec group and not Porter Cable. Thanks though, I will look at a Sonicrafter and pocket the money for another tool purchase.

View khop's profile

khop

Dont’t forget the dremel Multitool. I got one on sale for $89. It came with some extras. I have used it many times and it works just as well as the others.
Thanks
KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

It is a Rockwell, not a PC.
Doesn’t change the review.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Russ Anderson's profile

Russ Anderson

46 posts in 1955 days

Harbor Freight also sells one. I could get over the up front cost of the better Fein but I can’t get over the continued high pricing on the accessories that will need to be replaced. How many people own the Lamelo biscuit jointer compared to the PC and DeWalt models? I would guess not many because in the end they all get you to the same place. I’m with Khop, I would get the Dremel over the HF version because I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest HF for accessories. I have a Lowe’s one mile away that sells the Dremel.

-- Russ

View buddy4344's profile

buddy4344

this thread needs retitled! Rockwell quality IS NOT Porter Cable quality. While the review may be valid, this mistake is a big deal. Fein tool is amazing, but I would love to find cheaper blades.

-- Buddy, Pennsylvania