Acrylic Lathe Dust Hood

Review by Roger posted 02-22-2017 01:43 AM 2206 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Acrylic Lathe Dust Hood Acrylic Lathe Dust Hood Acrylic Lathe Dust Hood Click the pictures to enlarge them

I caught this on sale for 20 bux. Original price is 30. Anyone who turns a lot of pens would benefit by having this. A very nice way to collect dust while spinning pens, pencils, bottle stoppers, and/or any small spindle type turnings. Wood or acrylic project pieces, the chips get sucked right out of your way. I don’t think it would work very well for turning a bowl because of the way it wraps around the project piece. It is very easy to remove since it mounts with some pretty stout magnets. For me, this works very well. It also has a “hinged” guard that flips up or down to keep the dust heading where it should go. A 4” dust collection hose will hook right up to it. Oh, the alligator does not come with it.. lol

View Roger's profile

20931 posts in 2887 days

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

#1 posted 02-22-2017 03:25 AM

Looks like a bargain Roger.
This is what I use for really dusty work

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#2 posted 02-22-2017 04:09 AM

Looks to work well with the smaller projects. Something to look into. Thanks.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#3 posted 02-22-2017 04:32 AM

I built something like that out of aluminum flashing for my big lathe when I was turning large pieces and bowls. I had two 4” hoses hooked up to it and it did a great job. I like this one and may look at getting one for my little Jet. Hey Roger, I will need one of those hood ornaments for it though.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#4 posted 02-22-2017 07:06 AM

You can’t beat $20.00.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View lew's profile

lew

#5 posted 02-22-2017 04:51 PM

Thanks for the review, Roger! Great price, too.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#6 posted 02-22-2017 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info Roger

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Chris's profile

Chris

#7 posted 02-23-2017 05:01 AM

I had one that was situated behind my lathe for years. I made it out of plexiglass and hot glued together. Ended up being very durable and stayed together forever. Amazing how well hot glue works.

The dust cowl was nice about turning on the vacuum and sweeping turning shavings into for easy cleanup. But after frustrations and arguing with the cowl during various turnings and lathe bed amendments, I ended up just removing the contraption and now let the chips fly.

-- Chris Harrell - custom callmaker "Quacky Calls" Eastern NC. http://www.quackycalls.com

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#8 posted 03-01-2017 03:29 PM

I just ordered one! Thanks.
I think it will be a little small for my overall use, but maybe I am wrong. For now it is going to be a nice addition, and will be a good item to use and learn before I figure out what I want to custom build for this purpose.

-- Jim, Houston, TX