Same thing the other guys sell at half the price.

Review by dbhost posted 09-21-2009 03:47 AM 2306 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Same thing the other guys sell at half the price. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not much to say about this. I needed to finally replace the sanding belt cleaner I had as I had worn it out. (Still on the same belt FWIW). I hopped into Harbor Freight, and picked one of these up. Sale price of $3.99, and since I wasn’t getting anything more expensive, I threw the 20% coupon on it for an additional $.80 savings for a total before tax of $3.19…

Got the thing home, and it is EXACTLY the same item as I had purchased at the big name woodworking supply and hardware store that sponsors Norm’s show a year ago… Only theirs sells for $8.99 on sale…

I know this isn’t much to write home about, and if Harbor Freight isn’t located conveniently to you and the other places are the cost of shipping kills the value prospects… But this can be a bargain for those of us that need to watch the budget somewhat…

#1 posted 09-21-2009 03:56 AM

Thanksd for the review.

#2 posted 09-21-2009 05:46 AM

I wasn’t so sure about the HF one. Honestly for the $$ I figured they would have cut corners somewhere… If they did I have no clue where…

View mmh's profile

mmh

#3 posted 09-21-2009 06:09 AM

I use these a lot. Almost time to get a few more. The HF ones are a bit smaller, but for the price, not a bad deal.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

#4 posted 09-21-2009 08:24 PM

I’d rather not say which store I got the other ones at. But the HF one is at least visibly the same size as the other one… Now since I have only bought my belt cleaners locally, you can figure out where I got the other one by doing some Googling…

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#5 posted 09-21-2009 10:59 PM

Small item, great review….
thanks for taking the time!!!

-- Jerry - Rochester, MN *Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right* - Henry Ford

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#6 posted 09-22-2009 01:12 AM

I still say for consumables and small items you know you will probably abuse to death, HF is the way to go. I bought a $10 1/4 sheet sander I dedicated for use with WD40 on cast iron. No reason to stink up a $50 sander.

#7 posted 09-22-2009 01:22 AM

I use the HF ones exclusively. I’ve gotten them for 10 years. The only way to go.

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

#8 posted 09-22-2009 04:25 PM

Thanks good info. I’m all for cheep if the quality is there. The last one I bought was $10.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#9 posted 09-22-2009 04:33 PM

Looks like a good deal. It is probably one of those items that has the most mark-up on it in the store.

To clean my belts I focus the compressed air gun on them while running the sander. All the stuff caked on the belt flies right off. I never have had the need to purchase such an item.

I clean the sandpaper on my drum sander the same way. It blows all the contaminates right off.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

616 posts in 1963 days

#10 posted 09-22-2009 05:04 PM

yeah i found the HF one shortly after spending like $10 for one from rockler/woodcraft.

ive only used it once to clean my belt/disc sander, i was a bit skeptical but man these things work awesome.

#11 posted 09-22-2009 06:34 PM

Okay, I had to list the measurements. I was trying to avoid throwing the other competitors names around but since Mike breeched that for us…

The HF unit I have measures 9” x 1.5” x 1.5” Their web site says it is 8.5” x 1.5” x1.5”. LINK

Rockler advertises theirs at 8” x 1.5” x 1.5” LINK

Woodcraft apparently has 2 models. Only one of which I have seen on the store shelves which measures 8.5” x 1.5” x 1.5” LINK

FWIW, The Rockler one is currently on sale for $5.99

While I won’t link it here. Woodcraft does have a larger size online, that measures 12” x 2” x 2”. The larger size may interest some folks..

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

616 posts in 1963 days

#12 posted 09-22-2009 07:11 PM

oops sorry! didnt realize that was a no-no

#13 posted 09-22-2009 10:52 PM

No it wasn’t I was just trying to be nice to Woodcraft / Rockler. I like both of those businesses as they have stuff I cannot seem to find anywhere else… I was trying not to slam them on price…

No harm, no foul…

View john50's profile

john50

12 posts in 1928 days

#14 posted 09-23-2009 04:12 AM

was in Harbor Freight today and got 2 HP Dust Collector for $139.00 plus tax,with coupon. Works Great.

-- john50

#15 posted 09-23-2009 05:32 AM

Stick a 1 micron filter on that, with a Thien pre separator and you will be that much more impressed with it… I love mine!