Dust Deputy works like a charm

Review by RockyTopScott posted 09-21-2009 02:12 AM 3845 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy works like a charm No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just picked up my DD today at the local Woodcraft store.

Was not sure what to expect…only watched the online video as well as the reviews here and at other sites.

Put it together per instructions, hooked it up to my old Ridgid 4.5 hp wet-dry vac and “POW”...it worked much better than expected.

It was like adding a supercharger to my vac…cleaned up alot of sawdust on the floor and inside my TS cabinet in no time flat.

I plan on getting a new 6.5 shop vac soon and can’t wait to use the combo with my router table as well as a few power hand tools.

When it comes time to replace my portable dust collector unit with a larger one, these guys will get my first look.

Made in USA, nice quality workmanship and works really well. That equated to VALUE by my definition.

My $.02 RTS

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

#1 posted 09-21-2009 03:38 AM

Thanks for the review. Give us a long term review after a few months please. Love to see if you are still happy with it.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

112030 posts in 2214 days

#2 posted 09-21-2009 03:41 AM

Thanks for the review

View bluchz's profile

bluchz

187 posts in 2011 days

#3 posted 09-21-2009 12:04 PM

I’ve had my eye on one of these for awhile but i never make it to the store when i have the cash. Glad to hear it works. i think the size will work well in my shop.

-- flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf[/flash]

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#4 posted 09-21-2009 04:24 PM

I’ve got the original metal version and it’s a super-trooper;) Simple yet effective. Thanks for the review.

View bill merritt's profile

bill merritt

203 posts in 1926 days

#5 posted 09-22-2009 02:55 AM

Had my DD for several months and still works great.I did put it and vac on dolly to move around shop as one .Going to mount it on wall (one day).

-- Bill Merritt -Augusta Ga. woodworker

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1992 days

#6 posted 09-22-2009 08:55 PM

I am definitly going to get one because im tired of having to clean out my shop vac

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#7 posted 09-22-2009 08:58 PM

Please could you show us a few more pics of how it works? I am trying to guess what it is. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

#8 posted 09-23-2009 03:53 AM

#9 posted 09-25-2009 06:39 PM

I purchased mine yesterday after reading this great site and watching the video. Buying a complete dust collection is not in the cards. It is due more to space more than the money. My shop is 10×20 ( which in Southern California where land is a premium I’m grateful for.) So it is easier to move my Shop Vac around to what machine I’m using. The filter is constantly getting clogged, which stops production on the honey do list! I must say this thing is awesome!!!!! Rockler has 20% off coupons which lowered the kit to 79.00 instead of 99.00. Thx everyone.
Ken

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2567 posts in 2070 days

#10 posted 09-30-2009 07:43 PM

I set my Dust Deputy up this morning. This is one mean machine! This took my 5.0 Borg shop vacuum to new heights! I have never had the suction or pick-up on that machine…ever! This was well worth the $99 i spent. I did take Bill’s suggestion and made a dolly for it. I just wish someone would standardize hose sizes – every machine is different.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#11 posted 10-23-2009 11:43 AM

I also had the issue of having my filters clog quickly, but what really helped was to get a vac that could take disposable vacuum bags. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the bag keeps the filter from clogging up.
If I had the money I would go with this: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Ridgid_Conversion.htm which lets you use the original tub as the collection bin and maintains the same footprint as the original vac.

#12 posted 10-25-2009 08:56 PM

I fit the DD to my INCRA LS supersystem today and it worked wonders.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#13 posted 11-06-2009 03:33 PM

Hooked up my dust deputy to a new Ridgid R4516 bench top contractor saw. Worked really well. Like others have said, hoses tend to be loose… nothing is standard, but that is what the book says… use a little tape…

I’ve been using my 12 gal ShopVac for dust collection and remain happy with it… I use it with an internal bag to keep the exhaust dust down… that works and it retains good suction. Now with dust deputy the bag won’t fill up nearly as often. With the bag, the filter stays clean and doesn’t readily clog.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...