Excellent accuracy for such a cheap saw. Not such a great blade.

Review by dbhost posted 1773 days ago 4496 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent accuracy for such a cheap saw. Not such a great blade. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Black and Decker Firestorm line was a Lowes specific line of tools that was discontinued at the end of 2008. With some of the product offerings pulling them from the market was a good thing to do (I will post a review of the router later), but with some of their offerings, hobbyist woodworkers, and home improvement DIY’ers got left out in the cold.

I purchased my FS1000L on sale in January of 2008, and it has seen extensive use since the purchase. The stand (not included, separate item) is very adjustable, and sturdy. I would not hesitate to compare it to its DeWalt cousins.

The saw has some very real limitations in capacity, based on blade size, and the lack of a slider. But at $129.00 full retail, what do you expect? (Yes Harbor Freight sells a less expensive slider, but this isn’t a Harbor Freight tool…).

The machining on this saw is first rate, which is NOT something you will often see me say about anything presently, or even within the last several decades offered by Black and Decker. But this thing, fit and finish wise is right up there with its DeWalt cousins. If the casing color was yellow instead of orange you might be fooled.

The preset stops at 90, 45, 30 etc… degrees are dead on where they are supposed to be for both the table, and the head.

I only have 2 issues with this saw, and one of them is just too typical of almost any new saw.

#1. The lack of a clamp for the work piece. The comparable Ryobi has one (but lacks the fit and finish finesse of this saw), B&D dropped the ball big time on this. It really should have one. I make do with a HF 6” bar clamp as I can easily reach around stock, and catch the underside of the table no problem.

#2. And this one is typical of almost any new saw. The supplied blade stinks. It dulled very quickly, and the Orange writing no the sides of it transferred to work pieces within 6 months… I would STRONGLY suggest upgrading to, at a minimum, a Diablo 40T General purpose blade. Or better yet, a Diablo 60T cross cutting blade.

I expect to get many more years of service from this tool, however occasionally the lack of capacity when crosscutting REALLY irritates me. There is a possibility that a 12” slider of some sort may end up replacing it…

If you can find one used, and need a basic 10” compound miter saw, this one is really a good machine. But don’t pay too much for it!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

111999 posts in 2176 days

thanks for the review

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

89 posts in 2090 days

I have this same saw…I agreee with your opinion. Only problem I have with mine is that zero does not equal zero. But you know what, if that is my biggest complaint…its not a big deal.

-- T. Nelson

You mean your blade doesn’t square up to the fence? Have you adjusted it per the owners manual? Mine’s dead on square… Only adjustment I had to make was to the laser, and even after dialing it in, I still find I don’t use it. I like to see exactly where the blade is going to cut so I can adjust for kerf.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

89 posts in 2090 days

I mean that the tape on the front is not 100% accurate.

-- T. Nelson