Grizzly G0771Z Hybrid Saw

Review by JRsgarage posted 02-12-2017 02:43 AM 9293 views 0 times favorited 42 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0771Z Hybrid Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I’ve had the saw for going on a month but have not been able to use it. The saw arrived safely and the driver kindly brought it into my garage…had to tip him(great attitude).
The assembly went smoothly, nothing too difficult. I had to shim one of the wings; everything was in my acceptable tolerance. The fit and finish was ok in most areas. The wings were grinded differently than the main tabletop which looked a bit cheap but I figured I can live with that.

Everything was going as scheduled until I transferred my attention to the fence. The fence attached the saw fine but the rails on each sides of the fence were badly deformed.

It definitely did not allow the good flat registration. I called Grizzly and they notified me that they had to order them and that they were on backorder. After two weeks, my replacements arrived. I was very excited until I opened the box! Grizzly sent the replacement with two taped to each other and few air bubble bags….Basically no padding. The replacements had the exact same defects and it obvious that they did not inspect the replacement pieces.

I called Grizzly again to informed them of the issue regarding the replacements. They notified me that they were creating an activity report and they would get back to me. Week went by…nothing.
While waiting on reply I decided I would try cutting few pieces but something did not feel right. Then I noticed the longer piece of wood was not laying flat against the table.

I saw the fence housing screw adjustment knobs were sitting slightly above the tabletop. I have tried everything from putting the screw on the bottom of housing, adjusting but to no avail. So now my pieces will not register to fence nor the tabletop.
Waiting on a solution from Grizzly….

View BRef's profile

BRef

#1 posted 02-13-2017 11:52 AM

Heck with the waiting. I would have Grizzly come and get it and spend your money on a better quality product.

View AndyPickler's profile

AndyPickler

#2 posted 02-13-2017 11:58 AM

I’d say you are even being generous with 3 stars. Kudos to you for keeping a pretty level head about all this.

#3 posted 02-13-2017 05:25 PM

thanks guys. perhaps, i was being penny wise, dollar foolish. my brother always warned me of this…

i gave it three stars to keep my reservations neutral until i can actually use the saw. the saw itself feels decent and motor runs very smooth. definitely good enough for my skill set. i figure i give them some time to work out the simple little quirks…most of these issues could been avoided simply by few trips to the factories for routine quality control visits.

i will post updates as they come

#4 posted 02-15-2017 02:20 PM

I rec’d the RA yesterday for the four fence rails and dropped them off at ups. they’ll ship out replacements once rec’d…hopefully, they inspect before shipping this time around. also, the screw inserts for adjustments on the fence mechanism was recalled and replacements were shipped. what was little upsetting was the cs behaved like i was crazy when explaining these issue but the tech dept was aware of it for three weeks…

definitely not a pleasant buying experience.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#5 posted 02-15-2017 04:53 PM

I rec d the RA yesterday for the four fence rails and dropped them off at ups. they ll ship out replacements once rec d…hopefully, they inspect before shipping this time around. also, the screw inserts for adjustments on the fence mechanism was recalled and replacements were shipped. what was little upsetting was the cs behaved like i was crazy when explaining these issue but the tech dept was aware of it for three weeks…

definitely not a pleasant buying experience.

- JRsgarage

That’s a real shame about the cs rep. Sounds like a serious breakdown of communication between customer service and their tech department. I’ve dealt with Grizzly on a couple occasions, pleasant experience each time. Be sure to keep us posted on the rest of the RMA process!

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

View RDaws52's profile

RDaws52

#6 posted 02-17-2017 09:21 PM

Glad to have read this review> I was about to purchase this product. I may not after your experiemce and now just pay up and get a Powermatic.

View Bud2's profile

Bud2

#7 posted 02-17-2017 09:53 PM

Sounds like a bad case of quality control on there part,, Somebody not doing there job and getting away with it,,Thanks for sharing

View ak99615's profile

ak99615

#8 posted 02-18-2017 12:59 PM

I posted my setup of the saw on Reddit /woodworking, and also have a separate post on there outlining my issue and resolution of the fence issue, which I’ll mention below.

I have the same saw and ran into some of the same QA issues, specifically with the uneven grounding of the table top and wings.

My fence itself was fine aside from what you experienced with the knob being proud of the table. To alleviate this I had the grind down the bronze thread a little bit until i was able to get the adjustment knob to rest a hair below the table. The right knob had the same issue but I don’t see myself cutting on the other side of the fence/table anytime soon so I left it alone.

#9 posted 02-18-2017 02:17 PM

ak99615, yes, shorter insert screws will remedy the protruding issue. i did’nt want to start physically altering the saw due to warranty issues. there is a recall issued for that screw which i am waiting on.

they rec’d the fence tracks on thursday morning but still no info on replacements. i need to upload more pics related to QC in relation to fit and finish. in defense of the saw, it feels nice and seems to be priced fairly but the headache this company passes onto their customers is somewhat surprising. i kind of get the feeling their idea of good CS is sending out replacement parts; rather than running QC throughout production. i’ve read many similar cases with exact same solutions i am witnessing. losing one to two months of play time is aggravating as a hobbyist. i guess i’m still like a kid when it comes to new tools. i will consider all this on my next purchase.

a good company addresses their product issues

a great company prevents these issues

View ak99615's profile

ak99615

#10 posted 02-18-2017 02:25 PM

You’re exactly right, there’s no reason these issues should have been missed at QC. I was quite disappointed when I ran into these issues one after another. I hope that you can generate some sawdust soon!

I work in IT and your quote about good vs great holds true there as well :)

View BRef's profile

BRef

#11 posted 02-18-2017 04:47 PM

I am convinced that some of the equipment you get from Grizzly is no different than the quality you would get from a Harbor Freight or other super low price competitor. Some of those items are great right out of the box and some you have to spend time fixing yourself.

I say that because I have found interchangeable parts when I need to make repairs on my tools and also my experience in my own business that things go through the same plants in China and the sellers just put their own name on it. I don’t believe for a moment the myth that you get different QC. Remember Lumber Liquidators, they claimed there product went through another production line and QC and investigations proved it went through the same as the lowest cost guys. It is all about price points, and I am finding the difference of up to $500 or so with woodworking tools is within the same price point and quality.

I am convinced that Grizzly’s business model is to buy in low at whatever price point they are competing and mark the equipment up to the high end of said price point and then when and if they have to replace items under warranty they are covered by the amount they charge to come out ahead.

Example let’s say I start a Band Saw Business, ACME Band Saws. I market it well and staff up my customer service. I buy my Band Saw from a Chinese Manufacture for $200 and put my paint and ACME name on it. My lowest cost competitor sells this saw for $300 or less, I resell it for $500 to $700. My low cost competitors give a 90 day warranty and no service after the sale. They go after the cost low cost consumer and some of them really do get a heck of a good deal. I claim to market to the person who is looking for quality at a lower cost than the $1000 price point and who wants good customer service. I give a one year warranty and for what I charge I can afford to employ staff, keep parts on hand and even replace whole units if I need to.

It is not necessarily a bad business model but don’t be fooled when it happens to you. It is all about the price point.

#12 posted 02-20-2017 03:17 PM

ak99615, thanks. hope you’re enjoying yours.

BRef, like everything coming out of China…basically a “private label” business. factories run 24/7; if you can’t keep them busy, they’ll sell that slot and continue to producing same product. same products, different color schemes.

more hiccups, the recalled set screws that were supposedly sent out last monday was a hoax. now saying that the new replacement screws were delivered to their washington facility and were not able to ship yet….but, had me believing they were shipped. never knew having two warehouses would cause such breakdown logistically…

View Crank's profile

Crank

#13 posted 02-21-2017 01:42 AM

JRsgarage, I am having the same issue as you with the set screw and knurled nut. When I called Grizzly today, they did not mention a recall. They asked me to use a rubber mallet to see if I could get the fence to move down a little. I knew that method would not move the fence enough. I found some M10 14.5 mm set screws with nylon tips online. I guess I can call them back tomorrow, or I may just order the one I found.

#14 posted 02-21-2017 01:44 PM

Crank, the CS seems clueless at that company. i had one of their CS rep email me angry because i escalated to tech manager. this rep accused that i had never mentioned the screw issue with her. i told her to re-read through the email chain…never heard from her again.

i got the info from their tech dept and one of their “on duty” managers, Jean. i can’t believe they told you to beat it down with a mallet…insane. *this is the info i got from grizzly…i’ve rec’d false info from them already so take it with a grain of salt.

this is the part number for the screws, P0771Z340V2, SET SCREW M10-1.5 X 15, PLASTIC TIP.

View Crank's profile

Crank

#15 posted 02-22-2017 01:35 AM

Thank you for the information. I will call in requesting that the new set screws be sent to me. I assume the knurled nuts are no longer used because they will always sit up too high.