Mitre slot measuring tool for $12

Review by Holbs posted 02-11-2017 09:10 PM 2092 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mitre slot measuring tool for $12 Mitre slot measuring tool for $12 Mitre slot measuring tool for $12 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in dire need of fine measurement adjustment in my shop: checking dado stack, fence, auxiliary fence, etc. I could of made my own but I’ve been in a rush lately and ordered this little gem from Amazon at $12. Caution: you need your own dial caliper. Also, it does not fit all mitre slots! Read the description.
I was all about to purchase another table saw alignment gadget that costs $120 but then saw this tool in the LJ review forum and gave it a shot. Have used it a number of hours this day. All made of hard plastic that could wear or warp after a while but heck…for $12….it works 100%. Nice and stiff yet slides in the mitre slot to give a snug no-wobble measurement.

UPDATE: this works wonderful on my Unisaw because the throat is close to the mitre slot. However, with my caliper, it will not work on my PM66 because the throat is that exact point of being far away that the caliper mechanism interferes with the Mag-Dro. If I had an inch longer or shorter caliper, this would work.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1864 posts in 2025 days

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#1 posted 02-12-2017 01:20 AM

I have had one of these for a few years, well worth the $$.

Seems like you could incorporate a spacer on the PM66 to make this work.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1864 posts in 2025 days

#2 posted 02-12-2017 02:47 PM

Yep Tim. A spacer is required on the PM66. Foolish me, it even shows a little diagram in the instructions that for some saws a spacer will be required.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View Woodknack's profile (online now)

Woodknack

#3 posted 02-13-2017 06:21 AM

Interesting. Company has several little gizmos that might come in handy.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/