Useless with Triton TRA-001

Review by eldercop posted 02-07-2017 06:21 PM 2405 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Useless with Triton TRA-001 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For $60 one would think Rockler would include all the necessary holes. Not so. Catalog, web site and sales person identify this aluminum plate (#59466) as suitable for Triton’s big bad boy. Get it home and there’s no hole for height winder. A call back to the store where the helpful guy opened two other boxes with same item and same story. He kicks the issue up to the assistant manager whom I call back a couple days later and he is less than helpful. “So drill a hole for it or bring it back” he says. Not that I can’t drill a 7/16 hole in an aluminum plate, but for the money, come on. How about a warning on the products description or even a paper template with the location? No response from Rockler central via email.

Rates a one for useless product- its even too heavy to make a good Frisbee.
Customer service gets a one for no response from manager or corporate

And if anyone knows a proven provider of router accessories, bits and the like, that isn’t out to screw customers, please let me know

View Paul66's profile

Paul66

#1 posted 02-07-2017 08:32 PM

While I understand the frustration, it is mentioned on their website in the Q&A section…

I Have This Question Too (12)
do you have to drill a hole for the Triton lifter handle ?
charles B on Sep 29, 2015

BEST ANSWER: yes, this will not be drilled for the lift handle

REF: http://www.rockler.com/rockler-aluminum-pro-router-plates

View JohnMcClure's profile

JohnMcClure

#2 posted 02-07-2017 09:22 PM

FWIW I just bought the Woodpeckers plate for the same router. It should arrive Friday and I can update on the hole being there. I didn’t notice anything about there not being a height-winder hole, so I’m pretty confident Woodpeckers have done their homework. We shall see!

-- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

#3 posted 02-07-2017 10:04 PM

Hey John, best of luck with the ‘Pecker plate. I hope it works for you. I sendt an detailed email inquiry to them about their plate and got a totally clueless answer from a C/S person. Dunno if I would have paid an additional $40 for one more hole- or less aluminum- but would have liked to know the choices ahead of time.

Paul, I finally found the reference to the winder hole in the Q&A section, well out of the way of the hype above it.
And the question had to be asked, not the answer offered. Yeah, its frustrating, especially since part of my working life I directed worldwide customer service for a Fortune 100 company. Put people on airplanes same day to hand deliver and install a chip and all. Different world then. Oh well, down to the drill press.
Thanks guys

View cjg's profile

cjg

#4 posted 02-08-2017 12:39 AM

I have the same plate and it works great. As to issue of needing to drill a hole for the handle to adjust the height I knew that before I purchase by reading other reviews and the sales person also told me about it before I purchased it.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

#5 posted 02-08-2017 12:45 AM

I went with the Kreg plate because it does have a hole predrilled for the crank handle. And I bought one for the Bosch 1617 that also has the hole drilled.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#6 posted 02-08-2017 12:52 AM

Triton routers aren’t all that common. It would be impossible to drill a hole pattern for every possible model available so they probably drill for Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch and other popular brands. I have built many router tables over the years and to my recollection, all but one had to be drilled for the router I was using.

View firefighterontheside's profile

firefighterontheside

#7 posted 02-08-2017 12:58 AM

The rockler plate i have is drilled for the mounting holes of the triton, but not for the winder. Unless specifically mentioned, when they say it’s drilled for the triton, they only mean the mounting holes. I drilled the hole with great success.

-- Bill M. "People change, walnut doesn't" by Gene.

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

224 posts in 2098 days

#8 posted 02-08-2017 01:21 AM

JohnMcClure, I have the Woodpecker plate for my table mounted with a Porter Cable and I can confirm that the height- winder hole is present on mine as I use it all the time. I can’t promise that it will be there for a Triton but if its there for a Porter Cable I would safely assume the same for you.

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#9 posted 02-08-2017 05:37 AM

do yourself a favor and get this incra Solid Aluminum MagnaLOCK™ RT Plates

I have the same router in this plate and it is bullet proof….. you do not have to do this next step but after you bolt it on then take another router and router out the little bit of you triton router bottom to fit the bigger whole in the incra plate…. since it is aluminum I did it with a flush trim top bearing bit…. great to changing bits without changing router height when using matched bits like sommerfeld and others sell

and the lock ring set

once you pay for the parts you will not look back other than with happiness

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#10 posted 02-08-2017 03:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your router plate not fitting. If it were me I would get another plate or modify this plate to enable me to adjust the router height from above the table.

+1 for the Pecker's plate. I have the 2 1/4 hp Triton router and the plate I have is from Pinnacle (I bought it a long time ago).

The one I have looks almost exactly like this (except it has an adjustment hole for the Triton winder):

Here’s the Woodpecker’s plate:

The inserts I have are solid aluminium, it looks like they have changed them to heavy plastic now. This plate from Woodpecker’s looks almost exactly the same as mine. It has a hole for a winder. I like the scales on the side of the plate—they are useful for initial fence setup. The plate also has levelers and spring loaded buttons to help the fitment if you have any gaps in the table recess/cutout/opening.

This is a pricey option, but I’ll bet it’s a good plate.

View edapp's profile

edapp

#11 posted 02-09-2017 01:15 PM

I am wondering what the expectation was for the manager that told you that you could either modify it yourself or get a refund. What other solution could you possibly expect? What would you have done in his shoes?

#12 posted 02-09-2017 05:29 PM

What would I have done? Well lets see, in ascending order:

Express some empathy for frustration for a product not ready to do what it was promoted for. Apologies for the company not making it clearer.

Suggest to Rockler galactic HQ to include paper drilling template in the plate box for the various models of router alleged to be compatible with. The individual store could do it as well. At the very least sticker the boxes with need to drill a winder hole

Instruct sales people to make customer aware of the requirement to finish the product to make it workable

Send the plate home with one of their crafty guys to drill and finish the hole after purchase; pick up next day or deliver.

Note the money/expense involved here isn’t the issue. Making a customer for life is. Customer service is the most difficult aspect of a generic product for a competitor to copy, yet without engineering or production modifications often the least expensive. Everyone in business knows its much cheaper to make a repeat customer than a new one.

But enough blather. I drilled the hole, the Triton works great and collects its own dust below the table. Can’t beat that.

View JohnMcClure's profile

JohnMcClure

#13 posted 02-11-2017 02:11 AM

I just got my Woodpecker’s plate in, and YES, it is indeed pre-drilled for the winder. It’s a beautiful, solid, flat, heavy aluminum plate and I can’t wait to finish the cabinet and put it to use!

-- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1963 posts in 844 days

#14 posted 02-11-2017 03:42 AM

I ordered an Incra plate for my Triton. No hole for the winder. Had to drill it myself. Seems silly they wouldn’t make an extra hole that is clearly needed for below table adjustment and the plate is specific for that router.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#15 posted 02-11-2017 04:59 PM

I ordered an Incra plate for my Triton. No hole for the winder. Had to drill it myself. Seems silly they wouldn t make an extra hole that is clearly needed for below table adjustment and the plate is specific for that router.

- builtinbkyn

actually you are wrong the hole is not required for below the table adjustments you still have the knob on the side of the router to make adjustments with….. this is how all of use with the earlier model without the handle have done it all the time…. it someone cannot drill a hole woodworking is probably the wrong hobby… also that same place fits other routers that do not come with handles so it make sense to not drill the hole in it from the factory…. Just enjoy you plate it is great and will last a lifetime is you take care of it…. I recommend buying the extra insert set if you did not get them when buying your plate