Harbor Freight 10" Sliding Compound Miter

Review by raydawg posted 02-06-2017 07:32 PM 3815 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 10" Sliding Compound Miter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got it on sale for 89.99 instead of $109.
It came out of the box and worked great. Had to put my own blade in it but I was aware of that and had extra. Plus it being a 10” saw I can exchange blades between my table saw and this if I really need to.

Other than not cutting a 90 degree cut it’s a great saw. I had to turn the saw a degree to the left to make it square. So at 89 degrees NOT locked in to the zero detent, it cuts square up and down as well as side to side.

The motor is strong, the lockdown knobs are typical harbor freight variety where they’re kinda weak but I knew that going in. The blade is definitely square to the cutting table, just not square on the other axis. so my cuts came out at 89 degrees or 91 degrees depending on which side I was cutting on.

I’ll finish the very few cuts I have on this project, then it’s going back to the store. I’m more than okay with fine tuning a tool but in this case when I have to get out the square and test cut every time I move it, its taking more time than money it’s saving me. Especially since it’s main purpose is inconsistent from the get-go, it kinda bugs me.
I’ll save up for a used ridgid, desalt, hitachi or the like.

#1 posted 02-06-2017 07:32 PM

This is a duplicate. Needs deleting 3 stars not 5.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3401 posts in 2073 days

#2 posted 02-07-2017 02:21 PM

I am always puzzled by this. Seems to be good enough for your project so use it and then take it back?????

Just not my way of doing things…but

“I’ll finish the very few cuts I have on this project, then it’s going back to the store. ” – raydawg

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 02-07-2017 05:08 PM

I did enjoy the review of the machine because I sometimes wonder if it could be a Harbor Feight winner- Their is currently a LJ forum question similar to your review http://lumberjocks.com/topics/203194 if that helps anybody.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#4 posted 02-07-2017 09:34 PM

My take on HF tools in general is; there are good and bad tools. A few of their tools are just plain bad from the get-go; others are good out of the box and some can be made good with a little tweaking. Even a big name brand tool can be tweaked for better performance. some people expect a $99 tool to perform like a $400 tool. For the price, some HF tools come pretty close to their more expensive cousins in performance. My biggest concern with HF quality tools are bearings. The biggest difference between a $99 saw and a $400 one can be the quality of it’s bearings. Where run out is of main concern, this is where the quality of the bearings matters.

#5 posted 02-07-2017 09:54 PM

I have plenty of harbor feight tools and enjoy most of them. I will continue to buy and use.

Redoak49 I addressed your concern in my write up. It has to be setup and checked every time I use it. Huge waste of time vs clicking it back to 90 degrees and getting a 90 degree cut like it should. Even if you have the time who wants to do that? I’ll wager you prefer tools that stay square and do as they’re designed to do as well.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#6 posted 02-07-2017 10:07 PM

I have been using the HF 10” sliders for about 18 years now. My first one was left out in a shed that the roof leaked on by my Son, that was in 2011. I bought a new one then and told him to keep that one. Once you set it up correctly they stay set. I got mine for $59 with a coupon and if I need another some day I will buy another HF.

View DDWW's profile

DDWW

#7 posted 02-09-2017 10:03 PM

Just not my way of doing things…but

- Redoak49

He didn’t buy the saw to make cuts and then return.

I think the time invested in driving to the store to buy it, set up and trying to fine tune it is a fair trade for making a few cuts before returning a defective product. Selling of 90 miter saws wastes peoples time money and materials.
I don’t think it makes him a bad person. but as you said not your way of doing things.

View mhavanti's profile

mhavanti

#8 posted 02-10-2017 04:42 PM

You can loosen the fence from the base, adjust the fence to square and plumb, then tighten, check and once you have it square and plumb after tightening, it will stay where you place it.

All machines can get out of square thru handling from China. Long way, lots of different hands have thrown them around.

Give the machine a chance and then try to wear it out. It may fool you.

View Belford's profile

Belford

#9 posted 02-12-2017 03:36 AM

My motto is stay away from any Harbor Freight product with moving parts.

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#10 posted 02-13-2017 01:28 AM

Yes adjust the. It certainly is not hard to do.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#11 posted 02-13-2017 10:50 PM

I own the 12” version of this saw, and also had to do the setup with the fence and the 90’ issue. Took about two hours to totally set it up.
As mhavanti said, these are handled and tossed quite a bit from their origin to the store to your shop.

Once I had the fence 90’ to the blade sitting on the zero point, no problems now for almost two years. For the $124 I paid, I think of it as one of the best bargains in my shop. Put on a decent Diablo 50T blade and good to go.
I don’t pretend to do segmented pieces with it, just 90’, a few 45’s, and maybe an occasional odd degree. So far, it performs as it should.

I guess if I was performing 17’ segmented pieces for lathe work, I’d own a much more expensive unit.

Does the fence not move on the 10”? I must be missing something. If I could get an $89 saw to set up at 90’ with the fence, and have the motor/blade assembly set at 0’, I would consider that a pretty great bargain.
Just on the odd note, are you tightening the knob on the front? Did you check to see of the clip that sets into the degree notch is correctly connected to the swivel body?

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#12 posted 02-14-2017 06:20 AM

Tennessee, Danmarks, mhavanti,

Didn’t know you could adjust the fence that way. Stoked to take a look and see if I i can get it square. that’s awesome and then it’ll be a keeper as I don’t see a need to spend $600 on dewalt, hitachi, etc for the same result.

DDWW- exactly right. Not doing a “tool rental” thing. I want this saw to be square and do what it’s designed to do and not have to take it back.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#13 posted 02-14-2017 09:44 AM

Damn Dawg, you MUST remember to leave your hearing protection in the shop. It’s much too strong to use on the internet!

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#14 posted 02-14-2017 12:09 PM

I had a Mikita chop saw that once adjusted for 90 was off at the 45degree. I gave that one away; as it just was not worth the trouble. Someone drilled the stops slightly off at the factory. But that was the really old days before CNC machining was around.

#15 posted 02-15-2017 06:24 PM

I’m assuming I can adjust the 45 degree axis too right? I test cut that too today and it’s off as well.