Awesome blade

Review by Dedvw posted 02-05-2017 03:34 PM 2609 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Once I discovered that the stock blade that came with my Delta Unisaw was the cause of my lousy cuts, I bought the thin kerf riving knife and the Irwin Marples 50T blade. This blade produces the nicest cuts I’ve seen and does it a little quieter than the stock blade. I’ve used all kinds of high end table saws (Powermatic, Delta, Jet), some with Forrest blades on them. I know it might sound crazy but this blade cuts as nice as any of the Forrest blades I’ve used. No burns, no extra finishing after the cut, and cuts through hardwood and softwood with ease. A quick test I use to see how nice a blade works is to hold the two pieces of wood you just cut up to a light. I’m not happy if I see any light in the seam. No light gets by on the cuts from this blade. Its a DEAL for $40!

#1 posted 02-05-2017 05:44 PM

They are good quality blades, I have the 40T, does a great job

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View gleasoncraftworks's profile

gleasoncraftworks

#2 posted 02-06-2017 07:48 PM

I use the same blade, and I agree that it makes fantastic cuts. I’ve noticed that it’s starting to burn a bit once in a while. Maybe time for a new one?

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

3479 posts in 2092 days

#3 posted 02-06-2017 10:33 PM

I agree, I bought one for my table and one for my chop saw. Super results.

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#4 posted 02-08-2017 11:03 PM

My blade is starting to burn the hardwoods. Perhaps I will try this blade. I was contemplating spending the big bucks for a Forrest, but maybe I should give this one a try first.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

#5 posted 02-08-2017 11:11 PM

Gleason, how long have you been using your blade before you noticed degraded cuts?

Pointer, I was in your shoes two weeks ago. I’m glad I saved some money and went with this blade. I may have gotten a good one out of the batch. Please let me know what you get and how it works out

#6 posted 02-15-2017 06:27 PM

Cleaning the blade does wonders. I use Krud-Kutter which is cheap and effective. Sometimes I have to get blades resharpened. While this blade is good My Forrest Woodworker II wins hands down.

Just my thoughts on this.

#7 posted 02-16-2017 01:22 PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info on the cleaner. Do you soak it overnight in that stuff?

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#8 posted 02-26-2017 09:49 PM

I’ve seen that blade at Lowes. It was cheap enough and looked very much like my Freud blade. I then saw that it was
made in Italy. Hmmm. I wonder if Freud made it. I have a Woodworker II and had to send it back for them to rework the blade. I was getting some tear out in my cuts. None of my other blades did that. They reworked it and it was ok. My Freuds cut just as good. I won’t buy a Forrest blade again.

-- Chuck, Michigan,

View gleasoncraftworks's profile

gleasoncraftworks

#9 posted 12-18-2017 02:45 PM

- Dedvw

Dedvw—I’m sorry man, I just noticed your reply and question above! I hope you see this. To answer you—I have been using these blades on several saws for several years, and I can honestly saw they keep going and going. I used my first one for probably a year and I cut through plywood, MDF, laminated particle board—you know, all the nasty stuff. I think it was the particle board that finally ruined the cut quality for me. I’ve been so impressed with these blades, that I do not feel like buying one of the “better” blades would actually save me time from sanding or planing because the Marples blade leaves a clean, smooth, flawless edge.

To summarize, the Marples 50T lasted me a year with nice clean cuts until I dulled it with laminate. These come with larger carbide tips which makes them obvious candidates for sharpening to prolong their useful life, as well. Don’t hesitate to buy and use these excellent blades!