CA glue for wood - No activator needed

Review by cicerojoe posted 02-05-2017 03:23 AM 2963 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CA glue for wood - No activator needed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This rapid fuse CA glue for wood is relatively new. Maybe a year since it was brought to market. I have seen the fast cap and hot stuff and other similar products which require the glue to be sprayed with an activator for instant cure. These look good but I never pulled the trigger, especially because I’d have to get them mailed to me.

Anyway, I saw this Dap rapid fuse at home depot and a couple things caught my attention. 1st I remembered reading about this in a woodworking magazine. 2nd it said it was forumulated specifically for wood. My understanding is that most standard CA glues don’t really work well on wood because they don’t react well to things in the wood itself. The CA glues I mentioned earlier are modified to work well with wood. I take it this rapid fuse for wood must be modified as well (I believe there was also a seperate rapid fuse product for non-wood materials) and it is one part, no separate activator needed.

A couple other things. This glue is clear, so that might be advantageous. This is not instant cure, but it does bond very quickly. I let it on the wood for a minute or less to expose it to the air, then when I put the two surfaces together I hold them for about a minute and they are stuck together. So while it takes 30 minutes for the glue to totally cure (before machining or heavy use), this stuff adheres very quickly. I have put the glue into use before the 30 minutes and not had anything come apart or come loose.

That being said, I have not really used this glue for anything other than shop made jigs. One thing I know about CA glue is that it is brittle. Both 3m and Fastcap make rubberized versions of their CA glue because of this. So while I would not hesitate to use this on cabinets or trim, I am not ready to use it on the planes I have been building, or on furniture, or anything heirloom quality. This is just because it doesn’t have the track record of Titebond or other PVA glues.

The best thing about this glue is the price. There are two amounts it is sold in. There is a .85 ounce bottle for about 6 bucks and a 4 ounce bottle for 10 dollars. So the value is great for the 4 oz bottle.

It has a shelf life of 2 years but I make sure to keep it capped. It also has a chemical smell that goes away after it cures.

So I gave it 4 stars only because it does not have a long track record and therefore I will not use it on all my projects. Otherwise it is a really good product and a great value for the 4 oz bottle.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#1 posted 02-05-2017 03:49 AM

Hot Stuff CA has been used for wood forever. I used it when I built and flew RC planes. It’s really good glue.
There are others available and all work well on wood.
Bob Smith also makes CA glues under many different labels. Usually these are available in hobby shops.
There are also some CA glues for just plastic, low odor and even for foam and foam core products.
I haven’t tried the stuff you just bought, but I am sure it is quite good.
Most modern glues are far better than years ago.
The activator is used to make the glue dry instantly. You could probably use it on the glue you bought if you want it to bond instantly.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

#2 posted 02-05-2017 02:30 PM

Steve,

It is my understanding that CA “wood” glues for formulated work in an acidic PH (which may exist in the wood) and that other CA glues are not.

The thing I like about this glue is the price and the availability.

Thank for your input.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#4 posted 02-08-2017 05:36 AM

RapidFuse actually does have a long track record. It’s Nexabond super glue. Bioformix sold it to DAP and the product got rebranded into RapidFuse. I wanted to buy some Nexabond a little while ago and after I failed to locate any, some research dug up that information.

I like HotStuff but the fact that the tips always seem to gum up no matter how carefully I clean them is annoying. RapidFuse/Nexabond is less prone to this problem partially due to the needle mounted inside the cap.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

#5 posted 02-08-2017 03:17 PM

That is interesting. I see that there is quite a bit of info out there on Nexabond. Thanks for the tip.

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

1276 posts in 2016 days

#6 posted 02-09-2017 04:20 PM

I’ve also used CA glues for decades, like Hot Stuff, Zap, Super T, Bob Smith…

The two DAP Rapid Fuse products, the wood version and the one with the blue label that I’ve used are different than the stuff I’m familiar with. They have a different workability, with a faster initial grab that stays repositionable for a while, but the gap filling of a very thick yet slow curing CA. The price and packaging are pretty good, too!

So far, I’m impressed.

#7 posted 02-09-2017 07:03 PM

I did a little video review and demo of the glue