Grizzly G1023SL TS Overall First Impression

Review by Kevin posted 09-14-2009 06:34 AM 5794 views 3 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G1023SL TS Overall First Impression Grizzly G1023SL TS Overall First Impression Grizzly G1023SL TS Overall First Impression Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received my new TS this past Thursday. The freight guy was kind enough to go ahead and put it in my garage for me :) That was excellent I thought and was not expecting that at all. This review will just be a first impression on how it was shipped and how easy/difficult it was to assemble the machine.

01. SHIPPING – 5/5

The shipping was great. No holes or damage at all on any of the boxes. It came with two boxes. One for the fence and other for machine. The cabinet came on two palettes. It came like this. Bottom palette → smaller palette-> cabinet. The smaller palette came secured to the bottom palette and also had strips of 3/4” wood around the edges of the cabinet. The wood also had foam padding on the sides of the braces to keep it from damaging the cabinet. The cabinet also had 4 red metal pieces underneath the cabinet (1 on each side) and bolted down on the smaller palette to hold it in place. This saw wasn’t going anywhere.

The fence and other items were packaged like you would expect, nothing fancy, just well packaged.

02. HARDWARE LIST – 5/5

I started out by getting all the hardware out and grouping it together. Everything was there with a few extras.

03. CLEANING – 5/5

I first started by cleaning the top on the TS with mineral spirits and cloth towels purchased from Lowes. It was fairly easy to get the stuff off. I then moved to the extension wings, miter gauge etc….

04. ASSEMBLING – 4/5

I assembled this by myself and moved around in the garage where I needed it. I would recomment having another person help you, but I didn’t have that :( I followed the manual which was very easy IMHO. If someone hasn’t put a TS together before it may have been more difficult. The hardest part for me was to hold the extension wings in one arm and thread the bolt into the table top and to make sure it was flush from front to back. I only gave 4/5 because if a person has to do the entire job by themself then it can get a little more tedious/strenous, otherwise if you have two people it gets 5/5 and the job is a breeze.

RAILS:
Rails were very easy to assemble and get flush.

GUARD:
If you decide to use the guard it’s easily configured. I had to remove 2 washers from the front part of the guard assembly to make it flush with the blade, no big deal. Longest part was just making sure knife was inline with blade.

FENCE:
The fence rails were very easy to attach. The front rail sat perfectly on the table with a hairline clearance so it would slide easily.

SWITCH:
Nothing major here, just attach the switch and the brace to the cabinet.

DUST PORT:
Nothing major here again. Just use some common sense is all.

LATCH:
If you have problems just look at the diagram in the manual. Self explanatory.

MOTOR COVER:
Simple also. Some small pins to slide down the side. Self explanatory.

PLUG:
Just bout a 220 20a plug from Lowes (5-7 bucks) and wired. Nothing hard here.

SAW BLADE:
What a breeze to install a new saw blade compared to my old one.

05: TUNING and ADJUSTING: 5/5

- Miter Gauge – Dead on accurate from the box.
- Saw Blade – 0 and 45 was dead on, no adjusting needed.
- Miter Slot to Blade – Again, it was dead on.
- Blade to rip fence – Adjusting was needed here. I spent 20-30 minutes getting it where I wanted it. I finally got the back with a digital caliper at 2.008 and front measured 2.006/7 Sometimes the front would switch between 6 and 7. I hope this is what everyone else gets. I actually enjoyed tuning and making sure everything was set correctly :)

06: CUSTOMER SUPPORT: 5/5

I have to say Grizzly got back to my emails within 4 hours, most of the time within 1 hour. They explained everything very clearly and detailed. I have to give CS a big thumbs up here.

07: CONCLUSION: 5/5 Highly Recommend

My overall conclusion was more than I expected. The first look at the motor and I was like WOW, this is huge. This looks like to be a great saw. I spent a more than a few hours assembling the saw, but it was only me and I just took my time. With two people and some experience assembling a few other machines in the past it wouldn’t take long at all. I would think the longest part would be taking off the grease and then making sure everything is tuned correctly. Luckily I only had to really adjust the fence.

This was by far the easiest table saw that I have put together although i’ve only put 3 others together before this one.

Grizzly gets a 5/5 from me and a big thumbs up.

PS: I will post actual pics within the next days.

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1976 days

#1 posted 09-14-2009 06:44 AM

Good review. I look forward to seeing your tests and actual use.

Congrats on a very nice saw!

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 09-14-2009 06:55 AM

Congratulations on the new saw. Good review. I used the Roller Stand to install the extension wings.
Saw blade to miter slot and fence to miter slot the norm. But, I don’t get Blade to rip fence 2.006/7 ?

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

#3 posted 09-14-2009 01:05 PM

Thanks. I look forward to putting it to use. I’m sure that I will be pleased with the results and from other reviews it looks like it should hold up for sure.

The 2.006/7 is just that the fence being parallel to the blade, but there is a .001 to .002 difference from the front fence measurement and the back measurement. I used the blade to measure along with the miter slot to make the fence parallel with the saw blade :)

View trimmer's profile

trimmer

90 posts in 2095 days

#4 posted 09-14-2009 02:09 PM

Nice review
You will like that saw I have the 1023 Z series which is about 11 yrs. old now
Never had any problems with it

#5 posted 09-14-2009 04:41 PM

This is an excellent review. I have a lot of respect for both the quality of Grizzly’s products and their customer service. This saw should last you for many years.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 09-16-2009 01:45 AM

Great review…very detailed…Would have loved to see some pictures! I am getting ready to pull the trigger finally on a Griz G0690..I hope it comes as dialed in as yours was!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#7 posted 09-16-2009 05:26 AM

excellent review, thanks so much.

just wanted to pass along that after many years, i finally broke down and ordered a zero clearance insert for my 1023 right tilt. even though i have a sharp woodworker II blade on it, there is some tearout on thin oak veneer plywood using the standard issue throat plate. i know several (well 3 that work) techniques to prevent tearout but my latest project was a good excuse, and I wanted to see if a $25 accessory could really prevent or at least minimize tearout. so after a comedy of getting the insert prepared, i can safely say, there is no nada zip zero tearout. unbelievable, but true. what a saw, what a blade, what an insert. life will be good for you too!!! the grizzly 1023SL (and RT) is the best value saw on the market today, hands down, bar none. there is nothing on the market i know of to compare at the price point, and even then some. IMHO of course, and my $0.01, deflation, you know.

112089 posts in 2231 days

#8 posted 09-16-2009 05:51 AM

congrats on the new saw. Thanks for the review.

#9 posted 09-16-2009 05:33 PM

Thanks guys. I have uploaded 2 pics of the TS. The TS is in a different location from these pictures now. My next order of business is to make a ZCI for the TS which won’t be hard from the looks of it.

My TS was shipped from PA looked like and luckily it was dialed in very nice. I did not expect it to actually be dialed in that good. I could have used the fence as it was, but it had a 1/16 runout on the back end, but I prefer for all my cuts to be as exact as possible so I spent a bit dialing it in where I wanted it.

I made test cuts last night and so far it is extremely quite and saws through 4/4 oak like butter. I haven’t tried anything thicker, but from what I came from this saw is a dream. The nickel test works also :)

View Whitewolf's profile

Whitewolf

#10 posted 10-26-2009 05:33 AM

congrats on your new Griz! I own a small woodworking business and I’ve had my 1023 for almost 3 years now. It has made a LOT of sawdust. It has a little bit of vibration now because the belts need to be replaced or at the least adjusted, but otherwise it is an excellent tool. Very accurate and powerful. If you don’t already have one, invest in a Forrest saw blade, they are well worth the money. You just send them to the factory for resharpening when needed, and they really make a predictable and beautiful cut. Enjoy!

#11 posted 10-28-2009 09:04 PM

Thank you. I have been wanting to get a Forrest blade for it, but haven’t yet. Right now the 1023SL shipped is only $899, that is a very good deal that Grizzly has going on now. If I had waited 2 months I could have saved 200 dollars, but I wanted it then though :)

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#12 posted 10-29-2009 04:54 AM

khays,

You’re going to love the combination of the 1023SL and the WoodWorker II. I’ve had the WWII for almost 15 years and it’s been used in 4 different saws with the 1023SL being the latest. I just had it sharpened (by Forrest) three months back. Last weekend I was cutting some large maple plywood panels and it was simply wonderful.

BTW, your review helped me make my purchasing decision. Thanks!

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

#13 posted 11-04-2009 12:12 AM

bunkie, nice to hear about the WWII. Lots of good stuff i’ve read/heard about Forrest. Thanks for the info :)

Glad that my review helped you out. I’ve used mine on a daily basis for the most part and it’s wonderful to use.

Have a good one bunkie,

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1946 days

#14 posted 11-04-2009 05:49 AM

I have this saw for a couple years now. I hope you love it as much as I do.

I too lacked a helper when putting it together… luckily I was able to “walk” it off the palette and on to a mobile base pretty easy. Some roller stands helped to support the wings while I shimmed and bolted them on.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#15 posted 11-04-2009 06:00 AM

I assembled mine by myself. The hardest part was getting it onto the mobile base. The wings were not a problem. I Held the wing in place vertically while I inserted and threaded the first bolt. I then pivoted the wing on the installed bolt and clamped a level to the wing and the saw while I inserted the second bolt.

The fence went together pretty easily although one potential assembly item looked to be a real bear. ShopFox supplies some washers that are used to raise the square tube so that the fence has the right clearance above the saw table. The washers are supposed to be inserted between the angle iron and the square tube. There are four bolts and lining up the washers and placing the heavy bar on top of them without causing the washers to shift looks to be very difficult. I found it easier to dispense with the washers and to adjust the angle iron’s height instead.

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving