A Very Solid Machine - With easy results.

Review by Matt posted 02-05-2017 12:44 AM 3449 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Very Solid Machine - With easy results. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was purchased from a local Woodcraft with the help of SuperMax tools putting together a package (the SKU didn’t exist) with the closed stand instead of the open stand that comes with it by default. The sander goes together very easily, as does the stand and getting it tuned up is also very easy to do. My sander was off a little on the conveyor tracking, but that was easily fixed in about 5 minutes. The results that I’ve seen with it so far are nothing short of outstanding. The finish it leaves is smooth and uniform, the dust collection works very well and being able to control the speed of the conveyor is a great feature. So far I used it for cleaning up a large 20 peice glued up block and a few glued up panels.

It was purchased with the DRO (It’s a Wixey digital height gauge and two brackets) and it’s a little over priced for what is received, however the ease of installation makes it worth the cost. The Wixey is about ~$60 on Amazon, and the SuperMax kit includes three small screws and two metal brackets for another $50 (SuperMax DRO kit price is $109). I will say that in my limited use, that Wixey is worth every penny, really.

The infeed/outfeed tables are another option that was purchased and these are also fairly expensive for what is received, but again, they fit perfectly, work as designed and the installation is extremely simple, so the cost can be justified, I guess. They do however make it harder to get in to the enclosed cabinet.

The “intellisand” hasn’t triggered for me, but I’ve only been taking 0.005” at a time, so I don’t imagine that it will. It does however trigger if the drum motor is powered on while the conveyor is running, so I guess I can say that it works. It’s a function of monitoring the current going to the motor, and start up currents are very large for induction motor’s.

The enclosed cabinet on the other hand while it looks great, I don’t think that I would go with this option again, if I was to do it over again. The cabinet has a mobile base (tricycle style) and when the castor steering wheel is down, depending on it’s position and the position that you’re trying to move the top heavy machine, it wants to tip the whole unit. This is something that will require additional attention too when the sander is being moved. The interior of the cabinet does not have any shelving and the door isn’t the easiest to get to when the infeed table is installed. It will however keep dust off what’s inside there, and that was my main draw to that option.

Finally I did a quick-ish video on YouTube of the cabinet and drum sander assembly, and a few passes with a glued up board. The link to the video is here.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 02-05-2017 01:33 AM

I had a Jet version. Always was having problems with burns no matter how l careful I was and how slight the depth was set. Finally got tired of working around burns and spending more time messing with the sander than sanding so I sold it 4 or 5 years ago. Never missed it until recently when I started gluing up 18” wide boards for a closet shelf system. Using my Porter-Cable belt sander on the joints is a lot more work than feeding it through a drum sander. Supermax is definitely one of the best versions, though a bit spendy.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 02-05-2017 03:21 AM

EarlS- The Jet that you refer to; and my experience, with the original Perfomax are exactly the same and more problems. I love what you said “Finally got tired of working around burns and spending more time messing with the sander than sanding” No better description said.
And to all others- I hear nothing but positive things about the current sander.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#3 posted 02-05-2017 04:09 AM

I love my Supermax. It has revolutionized the way I work with wood. What it costs to buy saves me in time. Truely worthy purchase!

#4 posted 02-05-2017 12:37 PM

Thanks for the review Matt I really like my super max 19-38 also.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 02-05-2017 01:56 PM

All – now I’m curious. What are you sanding with the Supermax 19/38?

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#6 posted 02-05-2017 03:15 PM

Earl, Ive sanded everything from cutting boards, glue lines, long boards (instead of hand sanding) and a ukulele. The body on the uke has to be 3/32” thick. Its too thin for my planer to pull off but the Supermax can handle it.

Not to mention that it is about 65dB quieter than my planer and does not chip wood regardless of grain orientation or knots.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#7 posted 02-06-2017 12:18 PM

Nice review and video. I drool every time someone posts about their Supermax. It looks like they take up a pretty good sized space.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#8 posted 02-06-2017 03:44 PM

I have supermax envy. I have an older Delta machine that I hate but use for most every project. Someday I will upgrade and it looks like the supermax is the way to go.

#9 posted 02-07-2017 12:41 AM

- Redoak49

Thanks RedOak! It is bigger than I expected, and the infeed/outfeed tables really do make it much much wider than with out them, so I’ll likely keep them on, since I seem to work with larger boards and they help, but if you’re working with smaller stuff, that’ll take off about 22” of wingspan. I’ve only had it about 3 weeks, but it has started to change my work flows – the first being I’m no longer going to be dimensioning wood to final thickness on the planer, but going to use the sander to do it.

View moke's profile

moke

#10 posted 02-11-2017 06:06 PM

I too, am a happy Supermax owner. I use it for a lot more things than I ever dreamed of.
Great review, have never seen an enclosed stand before…
Mike

-- Mike

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#11 posted 02-21-2017 12:13 PM

I had a performax for many years and hated the tracking issues, so I got the 19-38. What a difference. Has been a great buy.

View Putttn's profile

Putttn

102 posts in 2094 days

#12 posted 02-23-2017 02:11 AM

I am thrilled with my Supermax and like others have said I wonder how I got along without it. I didn’t know Wixey had a set up for Supermax. I just use about a quarter turn down so how does that help in the sanding?

-- Bill eastern Washington Home of beloved ZAGS

#13 posted 02-25-2017 05:14 PM

All – now I m curious. What are you sanding with the Supermax 19/38?

- EarlS

So I just fell in love with my supermax, again. I just made Wenge dovetail keys for a large humidor I’m making and being able to take off < 0.005” of key thickness at a time to get the fit just right made the process of making the keys easy. Instead of adjusting the fence on the router table multiple times, it took about 3 passes. I reduced the thickness of one side of the key, ran it across the dovetail bit again, test fit, repeat 2 more times and I had what I needed in about 15 minutes. Super easy and just another way this thing is changing my work flows.

View JimRochester's profile

JimRochester

#14 posted 04-02-2017 12:12 PM

I just got mine yesterday and we are not off to a good start. I purchased the 19-38 with the Rockler casters which were half the price of the Supermax version. I didn’t bother with the infeed/outfeed since I have such limited space and since I rarely truly dimension stock on the sander I didn’t bother with the digital read although I do have one on my planer.

My son helped me with the boxes because this thing is heavy. By the time I got it together I didn’t have time to play. That I’ll do today. For such a well made machine I was surprised at two problems. The two nuts and washers were missing from the left side of the machine to hold down the conveyer table. Fortunately I had a couple locking nuts the correct size. If not I’d be hunting at Home Depot today. The other thing which I really bothered me; As I was turning the crank counterclockwise, I noticed the drum was not moving. The entire handle was lifting from the machine exposing the ball bearings. On my JET 16-32, there is a nice stop collar underneath. The SM uses a crappy little spring clip which had popped off. Apparently the nut on top had been overtightened not leaving enough room for the clip to fully seat. After some trial and error I found the problem, got it back in and am hoping it doesn’t pop off again.

I’ll be calling Supermax tomorrow to let them know of my disappointment. At the very least they should send me a few extra spring clips. but I think they should change it to a stop collar like the JET.

-- Schooled in the advanced art of sawdust and woodchip manufacturing.