Strength, reliability, and affordability

Review by Rob McCune posted 2400 days ago 2805 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Strength, reliability, and affordability No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a set of Ryobi One+ tools a couple of years ago. The reasons I bought the set are several. Affordability was chief among them. I don’t remember how much the set was but it was half what the DeWalt set was while still being 18v. The drill that came with the set was almost the same as the P211 but without the hammer drill feature and the accompanying handle. It was very durable, very dependable, but the trigger switch went out after only a year. I bought a new switch and installed it, but it never worked right after that. So I decided to uprade to the P211 and have not regretted it. It had about the same features but proved to be slightly stronger when it came to the hard operations and it also had the hammer feature. This review is pretty much about both drills. If it was solely about the P211 I would have given it 5 stars because it has proven more reliable than the standard version.

Power: It is a very rare occasion when both drills could not power their way through the harded drilling operations. And some of those times were directly related to a low charge on the battery. I could easily put a 4” screw into a 2” x 4” with minimal slowing.

Features: Both drills have two gear speeds and the variable speed trigger provides for a plethora of speeds to meet the different needs I have had. The forward and reverse switch is located in an extremely convenient position and is easily operated one handed while still maintaining a firm grip on the handle. The clutch pressure is also easy to adjust by twisting the large ring behind the toolless chuck. A third switch alters the clutching mechanism between drilling, screwing, and hammering operation.

Versatility: Ryobi’s One+ batteries are about half the price of their DeWalt counterpart ($40 for two of them) and can be used in a large and still growing number of useful and sometimes unique tools. A power saw, laminate trimmer, hand held planer, automatic caulking gun, and bug sprayer are just a few of the interesting ones. And with a new line of Lithium Ion batteries in the One+ range the products are continuing to improve. (I know I sound like an ad)

Cost: The original drill came with the 5-piece set that included a power saw, reciprocating saw, drill, dust buster, and flashlight (which lasts forever on one battery chage). Except for the drill, the rest of the tools are still functioning perfectly. That set was something like $200 or so. The new drill was $60 and has proved more durable than the original.

Conclusion: I have not been dissappointed with my purchase on this. The first drill lasted a year through some pretty constant use and heavy abuse, including a couple times being dropped. The second one has been a little better taken care of but not much and is still going strong. I continue to purchase One+ tools as I need them and really have not had much trouble with them with the drill being the only example.

-- Rob McCune