Ridgid 4511 Granite Table Saw: Really good saw at a great price.

Review by mandmj posted 09-10-2009 09:54 PM 14704 views 2 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 4511 Granite Table Saw:  Really good saw at a great price. Ridgid 4511 Granite Table Saw:  Really good saw at a great price. Ridgid 4511 Granite Table Saw:  Really good saw at a great price. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought I’d post a review of my Ridgid 4511 Granite table saw for those who are interested. I purchased this in the spring w/ the ultimate power deal (or whatever they call it) for about $450. I’ve used it for several small projects now and have been pleased w/ the saw, but like most things in life, it wasn’t perfect.

Pros:
Granite top is uberflat. And hard. And rust free.

Nice fence, easy to adjust and accurate, also easy to add faces (UHMW, etc)

Herculift base is really amazing in its ease of use.

$450.

Guard is usable. Comes w/ the riving knife/splitter combo that is a pretty good setup.

Bevel changes and blade height changes are smooth and easy.

Cons:

My first top had the miter slot on the left tapered. It was off by about .050” front to back. I had to exchange the top w/ another one at home depot, or take the saw to a repair shop and wait several weeks for a new one. The problem was fixed, but I would have preferred to just have a new top shipped to me.

1.5 HP motor is adequate, but who couldn’t use more power (insert grunting here, ala Tim Taylor). So far I’ve cut red oak and cherry slightly thicker than 1” w/ no problems though. Also handled tigerwood (extremely hard) at 3/4” w/o problems. Haven’t tried any 8/4, etc yet. (All of this done w/ a full kerf freud glue line rip blade)

Dust collection w/ my shopvac setup is really closer to dust accumulation.

Fence had a low spot in the middle, fixed w/ a piece tape when I put the faces on.

Motor cover requires a screwdriver to open (I changed mine to tool-less toggles for $10 and 10 minutes of work.)

Some vibration on shut down. I believe this is the factory belt, but it hasn’t bothered me enough to get me to spend the money on a new one.

Overall, I’m very pleased w/ the saw. Some teething problems initially, but now we’re up and running. The 2 piece front rail is a potential problem, but w/ careful alignment mine works just fine. It does what it should, and does it well. I really don’t think you can touch a saw of this caliber for twice what I paid for it, and even at full msrp, it’s a good deal. After doing the research, the next step up seemed like a Grizzly riving knife saw, which is 3x the price. This Ridgid should last me for some time. And w/ the warranty they’re offering, it’s tough to go wrong.

View Quiglag's profile

Quiglag

#1 posted 09-10-2009 11:19 PM

I hope you heard about the recall for this saw. There is an issue when using stacked dados. http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml09/09311.html

-- Chris, Southern California, www.tool-rank.com

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 09-10-2009 11:25 PM

New saw you should get replacement fence parts and not repair.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 09-11-2009 03:34 AM

congrats – this IS a great saw for the money. the fence is a steel tube, and is hardly likely to be completely straight across it’s length – thats the purpose of the face frames. seems like you did good. it would have been nice if face frames were included with the saw though.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View ndguy's profile

ndguy

#4 posted 09-11-2009 04:14 AM

I have one also and like it very much. I think yours will treat you well. Have fun.

Could you send photos of the fense faces you have added.

Thanks!

-- Jeff, Fargo, ND

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

136 posts in 1984 days

#5 posted 09-11-2009 04:25 AM

Congrats! PurpLev did a nice job on an actual riving knife for the R4511, or you can try to get them through Steel City. Just don’t tell them it’s for a Ridgid saw; on another site, someone noted they wouldn’t ship them to a Ridgid owner.

I’ve looked at every photo and parts drawing of the Steel City saws that I could locate. The riving knife setup —from the clamp, to the bracket, to the base of the knives themselves, looks identical to the Ridgid R4511, so I took a chance—I called Steel City and ordered the 2.5 mm and 3.0 mm riving knives. They were $11 each, plus $3.95 credit card charge and $8.00 shipping.

Part # SC10150 for the 2.5 mm knife, SC10151 for the 3.0 mm
Phone # to order Steel City parts: 1-877-724-8665

I tried finding a third party poly-v belt, but had no luck so far. The originals are about $23 from Gardner, in Ohio.

Regarding the front fence rail, you can add an internal spline to stiffen it, or replace the entire tube (Ithink Timbo managed that approach).

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?

View jake's profile

jake

#6 posted 09-11-2009 01:19 PM

I have a Steel City saw and love it but sure wish the granite top was out when I bought mine a couple of years back, as I am tired of dealing with rust on the cast iron table in my unheated, outdoor shop! I’m sure you will get many years of enjoyment from it. As for the recall, I was treated very well by Steel City customer service but since yours is sold by One World Technologies, I hope they do as well for you if yours is involved in the recall. Keep us posted if yours is involved and how it goes. Also would like to hear down the road what you tihink of the top after longer use.

#7 posted 09-11-2009 03:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words. As for the recall, mine falls well past the date range affected. The belt can also be found at:

I find the fence not being perfectly flat annoying, but not suprising, because as PurpLev stated, its just tubular steel. I sure some folks wouldn’t have cared that it was 0.007” low in the middle, but it was causing some small cutting abnormalities when ripping stock. I’m willing to tolerate imperfections for the price, but if it was a $3k sawstop, I would expect much better. Besides, hot rodding the saw (as I call it) is fun! Compared the my previous Shopsmith, this thing is much easier to use and keep tuned.

I may try the other riving knives at some point, but I still like using the blade gaurd for now. I still consider myself very much an amatuer, and it keeps me honest, and the wife happier. I’ve set up my zero clearance insert so that I can use the factory setup as intended. That’s also another reason why I changed the motor cover to a tooless open, so that I have no excuse not to use it.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1967 days

#8 posted 09-11-2009 05:56 PM

Congrats on your saw, I think you will like it a lot. For the price it is a really nice unit for a hobbyist like me, that can’t or doesn’t spend enough time in the shop at this point to quite justify a 3hp saw.

When I first saw the price on this 3/4 style hybrid with cabinet style trunnions, I was all over it when they put it on sale. Icing on the cake.

I leave my blade guard on as well, as I feel better having the anti kickback pawls engaged on the wood.

View Konomigon's profile

Konomigon

#9 posted 09-12-2009 05:13 AM

I just bought the saw a couple days ago as well. So far so good. I had some issues aligning the riving knife (Thank you a ton PurpLev for the help!!!) The only complaint I have is that the manual is inconsistent and incomplete.

-- Kris

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#10 posted 09-14-2009 03:35 PM

kkickback – it’s a new purchase – have it replaced! definitely under warranty both by Ridgid, and HD.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#11 posted 09-14-2009 08:20 PM

When I exchanged my top I had to take the one they had on demo, and I helped them swap the 2 out. Make sure you’re happy w/ it. Epoxy can repair the granite if you need it to, and mine had no significant chips (a few sub mm along the miter slot, but I don’t care/notice).

#12 posted 09-16-2009 05:11 PM

You got the saw for $450, wow, that’s awesome. I bought mine about two weeks ago and paid $600. Makes me wonder if HD has a price correction policy…....

Anyway, mine needed a little fine tuning out of the box, but nothing major. I just finished several zero clearance inserts and put the ridgid brand combination blade on the saw. So far, so good.

-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi

View los's profile

los

#13 posted 10-06-2009 09:38 PM

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for improving the dust collection on the R4511? It seems there are gaps everywhere. Are the gaps designed to create airflow. If so I guess I have no choice but the get a big DC. Im using the biggest rigid shop vac and even with a cleaned up filter it left plenty of dust down in the collection try. thanks for any help.

View BeachedBones's profile

BeachedBones

201 posts in 2057 days

#14 posted 10-07-2009 12:41 AM

los -Clear packing tape can cover a number of the gaps if they are a problem for you. You’ll never seal it up so tight that it will choke out the dust collector. The gap for the adjustment wheels, and over the motor housing door will provide plenty of flow.

There’s too much area in the saw for a shop vac to completely remove everything.

-- You know.... I think that old wood needs to be furniture.

View los's profile

los

#15 posted 10-07-2009 02:52 AM

Thanks Beached…..I was trying some caulk but the tape might be easier on the larger areas.