Finally, a Hand Sander That Allows You to Sand...

Review by CaptainSkully posted 1805 days ago 3198 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Finally, a Hand Sander That Allows You to Sand... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using that damn rubber thing with the nails sticking out of each end for years. No wonder I hardly ever did any hand sanding. I bought this because the action looked like it would be easy to switch out paper. It’s so easy, I switch grits without a care. The best $20 I ever spent at the woodworking store. As a recent improvement in my woodworking, I’ve started to hand-sand the orbital swirl marks out of my stuff. This makes that as easy as the wood will allow.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

I have been using one of these for awhile now and think they are really great.

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

I agree that these are a great product. I now have two of them. It is easy to change the paper, there is more of the paper in use, and it is very comfortable to use. My first one has seen lots of use and is just as good as new. They do go on sale every once in a while at Rockler.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

I purchased two of theses at the Woodworking Show a few years ago …very nice to use and the paper changes couldn’t be easier , plus they were on special at the show for $15 each

View Hacksaw's profile

Hacksaw

184 posts in 2001 days

I use sticky back paper for most everything so this would be IMO a step backward…but your right they beat the hell out of the old school sanding block!Well maybe not the way old school sanding block(a block of wood with sandpaper attached to it…which is what I use for most everything you just can’t beat the flat surface!)I’m glad you like it though

-- Nothing's impossible...it just gets expensive

View Bret's profile

Bret

I use one of these and really enjoy it. That said, I’m working on a “block” that will take hook & loop paper so that my RO and this block can share the same paper stock. I also hate buying two types of paper instead of one.

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

112008 posts in 2201 days

Cool tool

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

Any links?
THX

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

I believe you can find them at Rockler and Woodcraft, or online several other places.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View Cortland's profile

Cortland

Hartville carries them in 5 flavors http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11918

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

I’ve had this item saved on my Favorites “Tools I Want” folder for some time. So today, after a little incentive from you review, I ordered one from Woodcraft, along with a couple of other items to get the free shipping on a $50 purchase. I’m looking forward to using a hand sanding tool that I actually might like. A few weeks ago I won a rubber sanding block (red, wow) at the local woodworking club raffle. I think I left it laying around somewhere in the building. BTW, you get whatever color Woodcraft chooses to send you. I noticed you can pick your color at Hartville. Isn’t that nice!

View Arvid's profile

Arvid

While I didn’t love spending $20 on a sanding block, I must say this thing is AWESOME! I’ve never been a fan of sanding, but this little tool makes it easy.

-- Arvid, Washington DC

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

Hacksaw, these blocks are made to take the sticky backed paper as well as the regular paper.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter