Laguna fusion table saw

Review by Hermit posted 01-28-2017 01:34 AM 4302 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna fusion table saw Laguna fusion table saw Laguna fusion table saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw about a month now. It’s a major step up for me being out of woodworking for 20 plus years. Having just built my shop, this is my first major tool purchase second to a dust collector. I’m basically starting all over again.
I did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews etc as others have done. I chose this saw for several reasons.
1. Great reviews on multiple websites.
2. Appears to be good enough for an almost retired hobbiest.
3. Dust collection port on the left side of the saw, beneficial to my dust collection plan and layout.
4. Price

So after a month here’s my thoughts so far.

I bought this from my local rockler store. I had every intention on picking it up myself but was worried about the weight damaging my tailgate on my small pickup. Spoke with the store manager about delivery. Because I lived close he offered to deliver. To my surprise, didn’t even charge me for delivery. 2 days later it was delivered. Arrived with no damage. Driver placed it in my shop.

I had watched and recommend anyone purchasing this saw to watch the videos for assembly instructions on you tube by laguna. I went step by step, video by video and the assembly was a breeze. Hats off to the makers of the videos. I never had to look at the owners manual once during assembly. I did look at the manual when done just to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Take your time when putting it together. Extra set of hands makes it easy. Make sure everything is dead on before proceeding to the next step. Making a sled was a snap and was perfect on the first try when everything was dialed in.

Now on with the review based on 30 days of experience. It’s a very nice saw. All adjustments during the setup were only minimal. It’s very smooth, quiet, (85 decibels) fence is smooth, accurate, easy to remove and install.

Drawbacks are….
With a zero clearance insert, dust builds up inside the cabinet rather quickly. The picture above shows the dust inside the cabinet after about 50-100 rips. I will be looking Into a secondary overhead collection. This is the only reason I gave everyone it a 4 star rating. Other than that i’m very pleased with the saw.

Edit…after having this saw for some time now I would add the following. Changing back and forth between dado blades and the saw blade, I ended up taking an 18mm wrench and grinding it to 1/4 inch thick for use on the Inside. The wrenches given are thin and will begin to strip it out if you do frequent blade changes. Then get a 23 mm wrench for the outer nut. You’ll be glad you did and make it much easier. ....

Secondly, I recommend you get a 13mm ratcheting style wrench as seen below…
Use this to loosen and tighten your bolts to align the table to the blade. There isn’t much room to get any other wrench (open or closed end) in the small openings. Found out the hard way by thinking the bolts were tight when they were simply hitting the edge. Ruined my sled when they became loose during a cut. Not all is lost as I can still use the sled for dados and make a new sled.

-- I'm like the farmer's duck. If it don't rain, I'll walk.

View Hermit's profile

Hermit

View JimDaddyO's profile

JimDaddyO

#1 posted 01-28-2017 01:52 PM

Thanks for your opinion. This saw is on my radar for when I upgrade so it is good to hear of peoples experiences with it.

-- my blog: http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/ my You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA?view_as=subscriber

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#2 posted 01-28-2017 11:53 PM

Laguna has some nice products out these days. Congrats on a great new saw!

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#3 posted 01-28-2017 11:54 PM

I have always liked the miminalist, simple lines of this saw.

#4 posted 02-02-2017 03:55 PM

Laguna tools look great. Their dust collectors and bandsaws are a thing of beauty.
I’m surprised that much dust collects inside the saw. Is the dust shroud too small, or why do you figure this is happening?

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#5 posted 02-02-2017 04:49 PM

I’d take the interior hose off or put a Y in it so it can’t build up.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#6 posted 02-02-2017 09:25 PM

Can you shed some light on why you think this saw is a good choice, for you, over others?

I see a lot about Grizzly saws and Saw Stop—but not much about Laguna—what convinced you that this saw was a better one for you than the Grizzly or Saw Stop ones?

(I did read your review, and understand why you chose the Laguna—but of those criteria, or others, which other saws did you decide NOT to purchase? [Maybe that’s a better way to ask my question….])

Thanks for the review and insights!

View Hermit's profile

Hermit

#7 posted 02-03-2017 12:46 AM

I honestly don’t know why there is so much dust within the cabinet after so few of cuts. There is very little dust on top of the table when done wit a cut. I have a brand new Jet vortex cone dust collector. All my joints are sealed internally and externally with a/C sealant on the inside and a/c sealant/foil tape on the outside of the ductwork. I have approximately 20’ of metal duct run with 2 90’s (2×45’s making up the 90’s) and about 5’ of flex hose from the blast gate to the table saw.

SawsStop was out out of my price range and although they have a great safety feature, I’ve been in construction most of my life , , I feel confident in my safe use of a table saw. Yes I know it only takes one incident but it’s the risk I’m willing to take. There are not a lot of table saws with the DC port on the left side, which is a must for my shop. I designed my small shop (22×20) so there are no ceiling or wall ran ducts.

I’m not sure what you mean by taking the interior hose off and put a “y” on it?

I’m going to add to the review and say that the brackets that hold the fence on the side of the cabinet when not used are inconvenient by being on the opposite side of the operator. When switching frequently from a sled to the fence, you’ll find it not worth it and not an option with an out feed table. Also, the brackets that hold the push stick on top of the fence didn’t work well for me. Very hard to snap into place. Not a big deal for me because I don’t like/use plastic push sticks. I removed the brackets, traced the design of the push stick and made my own.

I love the fence, the saws reasonably quiet, easily maneuverable (see their video) very smooth and just a good saw in my opinion.

-- I'm like the farmer's duck. If it don't rain, I'll walk.

View cws5157's profile

cws5157

#8 posted 02-14-2017 03:30 AM

Thanks for the review. I’m currently daydreaming about my next saw (new woodworker who has quickly outgrown my PC portable TS).

-- Chris, Athens, GA Bird Song Woodworks

View Cake's profile

Cake

#9 posted 04-24-2017 05:00 PM

Thank you so much for this review. I am currently struggling with this decision. I believe I have it narrowed down to the Grizzly G0715P, G0771Z, the Laguna Fusion, or the Jet 708494K. I would rather go with the Grizzly 715, but with all of the problems I have read about the alignment issues I am worried. Of all of these saws I mentioned, I have yet to find a review about the Laguna that said it had any issues at all except for dust collection. I am thinking it is worth the extra couple hundred bucks. I intend to have this saw forever anyway so $200 or $300 seems worth it for such a long term investment.

View Mike_in_STL's profile

Mike_in_STL

#10 posted 05-10-2017 11:57 PM

This saw is at the top of my TSAW list. Sawstop doesn’t turn me on and I feel that technology breeds contempt for the tool. Keep your hands away from the spinny bits. I was glad to see your review and that you really don’t have any major complaints about the tool.

-- Mike in STL

View spider1's profile

spider1

#11 posted 06-25-2017 01:57 AM

I agree with your review. I have two additional comments.
I don’t have a problem with the amount of dust but would like to know if anyone has adapted a hinge system or some other way to open the side cover to get to the sawdust buildup? I hate having to unscrew the 4 screws overtime I want to vacuum out the saw. I am trying to figure out a way to make the operation easier- I would clean it out more often with my ShopVac.
On the Sawstop comments, I agree that it is a great saw but very expensive. I went to a demo of the saw and watched a guy barely touch a cold hot dog to the blade and it snapped shut. My feelings are what if you had some wood that was not 100% dry. Would the blade snap shut if it detected moisture? That would concern me as the cost of replacing the blade unit is expensive as well. (Of course not as costly as losing a finger.!)

-- Spider1, Sacramento

View mvegas's profile

mvegas

#12 posted 10-16-2017 11:19 PM

Hermit, thanks for your thorough review. It, along with months of research, helped me decide to order the Laguna Fusion. Laguna recently introduced the new Fusion 2, Model No. MTSF236110175-0130, which is now on sale at M&M Tools. I’m still awaiting shipment, but I understand that the new model addresses the dust collection issue by adding a hose within the cabinet. Laguna also improved the arbor rising mechanism and tilt micro adjustment. And, it redesigned the throat plate, making it a rectangular shape.

View Kyle33's profile

Kyle33

#13 posted 11-16-2017 09:12 AM

The adaptability as well as variety of options are greater for the last system. Enable Google Play Store paid applications in various groups.You could review the evaluations.