Yardstick style measuring compass

Review by Bob #2 posted 1780 days ago 2712 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Yardstick style measuring compass Yardstick style measuring compass Yardstick style measuring compass Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw this item during a small ordering spree with woodcraft and added it to my order givng it little thought as it was quite simple and what could go wrong?

First thing is it was back ordered and shipped separately at a later date.
That would be fine if I had been advised but there was nothing mentioned on the invoice so I assumed it had been overlooked and proceeded to buy another one locally ( different style but same application.)

When this one arrived I at first tried it on the yardstick I had in the shop only to find it could not be attached because the stick needed to be the exact width of the slots in the aluminum or else the thumb nut on the top would not engage the threads.
The yardstick also had to measure at least 1” high or the thumb screws would not engage the ruler.
It came with one piece of lead and no spares so I guess they want us to tear up pencils to replenish the unit.

Next, I measured the slot with a bar stock and found I needed 1/8” material; so I ripped a piece of fir to test his device and now find that it must be dead on, not more or less than 1/8” or the tool slides off or wont go on the stick.
This makes adjustment next to impossible and remember, this is a compass.

Using the same stick that won’t work with my new toy I fitted to these plastic trammels and voila we are in business and the plastic one uses an ordinary pencil and any stick that’s close to 3/4” high and even up to say, 1” wide.

From shop pics 2009

From shop pics 2009

Bottom line is it’s fiddly, poorly designed, lacks reasonable working tolerance and quite likely to fail due to the inadequate grip it provides on anything other that an exact sized stick.

I am giving it 1 star because you could use it in a pinch .

Bob

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

thanks for the review Bob … I’ve been eye balling one of these and now will steer clear of it

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View patron's profile

patron

12952 posts in 1936 days

i had one once ,
and same problems you found .
try drawing a 15’ arc with a piece of spaghetti !

those plastic ones you got look good ,
where did you get them ?

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

Man, I’m sorry to hear that. I have the same ones and you know what? I don’t have a problem with them. I found me an aluminum flat bar at Lowes and have used this set-up for a number of years now and no problem. I also bought the plastic version on a dowel at Lowes tto. The reason I bought it was I could use any length dowel and create bigger arches. Sorry the metal ones didn’t work out for you.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

208 posts in 1997 days

You know the old saying, “One Mans Trash”

I have used the aluminum Trammels for over 15 years with an aluminum flat stock also and have had no problems either. As far as the lead goes, I use the lead I buy for my Mechanical Drafting Pencil, works great.

Cabinetmaster.
I will have to ask if you have tried the other one I shown here and if you trammels are from the newer stock I have purchased.

It’s possilble that you have and “alloyed” aluminum set where mine are made from softer materials?

John, I was not aware that the lead from a mechanical penciil was the right size.
At least I know where to look now should I choose to use them.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

Bob, that could be possible. I’ve had mine for quite a few years now. John’s right on the lead for the replacement.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

111999 posts in 2172 days

Thanks for the rieview.

208 posts in 1997 days

Like Cabinetmaster, I’ve had mine for at least 15 years and bought them from one one of the shops I use to work at. The set I have looks just like yours but I remember paying about 20.00 for them and that’s with my discount. The real advantage with using the mech. pencil leads is you can use the best lead for the type of wood your using.

Bob #2

It looks likely that there are various qualities out there.

Here are three offered through Amazon:

This one sells for $20.00

This one sells for $15.00

This one sells for $6.95

208 posts in 1997 days

The 6.95 set looks simular to a set I use to use. It wooks well with the right kind of wood. The set I have is like the first set, not exactally though. Trammel Points are available everywhere and just like everything else, they’ve gotten cheaper every year.

John:
I’m kind of partial to that last one by Grizzly too.
Takes a wides range of material widths and the points are long enough to clear most obstacles on the arc path.
I don’t wnat to carry or make a beam for the points every time I use them.
This makes it a bit easier.

Bob

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

365 posts in 2026 days

I bought the same set as shown at the top and have had the same experience. Either the threads won’t engage because the yardstick is too tall, or the threads slip because the yardstick is too thin. Fortunately they were an impulse buy for a future undisclosed (no clue what I’d use them for at the time of purchase) project. So wasn’t stuck holding the proverbial bag when I needed the tool right NOW. So I’ll just wait till I really need one and then go for the more expensive set.

Nice review and right on the money from my own experience with it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC