Problems with adjusting the height of the cutter

Review by velocette posted 08-31-2009 09:52 AM 2703 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Problems with adjusting the height of the cutter Problems with adjusting the height of the cutter No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have the 3 1/4 HP Triton router and over time have been reading the reviews and note the main complaint is the under the table adjustment. In Australia where the Triton company started there is a large range of wood working accessories. The Triton router table provided easy access to the ratchet winder and the fine adjuster, there is also a dust collector bucket that has two inputs one for the table and one for the router and the bucket is attached via another hose to a vacuum cleaner.

I have used the router to do jobs that I once had to use a spindle moulder to do, the power is more than adequate to do large cope and stick routing and making raised panels (2 3/4) cutter is fine.

The weight seems to concern some of the users in the forum, I find that the weight is an advantage, the soft start does not want to rip the router out of your hands.

My old De Walt was binned after getting the Triton, you had to be very careful at switch on as it wanted to tear out of you hands and the torque made the router skittish due to its light weight. I also use the router in the Triton Biscuit Jointer attachment that fits the router table. The table has clearly marked scales and is adjustable over a wide range. The fence is in two sections that can be adjusted independently, as well each side is spring loaded so that they have plastic shims (supplied) to adjust the fences. The sliding panel in the table makes it easy to feed the job down the table.

Despite it being able to be used out of the table with the adjustable base it is definately better in a table

View velocette's profile

velocette

View trimmer's profile

trimmer

90 posts in 2095 days

#1 posted 09-01-2009 01:16 AM

Hi There:

I too have the 3 1/4 Triton Router, you are right about the power WOW!
I also have there 2 1/4 router for job sites, love them both. I have no complaints about reaching under the table to adjust height of bit, you still should use the lock though so bit doesn’t move.
May table is designed for easy adjustment to every router control.
Like you all my other routers are binned also.

112089 posts in 2231 days

#2 posted 09-01-2009 01:27 AM

I have some triton routers and the won’t adjust above the table unless the switch is turned to off.

#3 posted 09-01-2009 02:34 AM

Nice review.

View wyeth's profile

wyeth

#4 posted 09-01-2009 04:49 PM

Sadly Triton have gone bust and their products are being sold off at present but with no guarantees or likely hope of future availability or source of spare parts including battery packs etc. This is at least the case here in Australia but as far as I know everywhere else. Is everyone aware of this?

-- David Australia

View velocette's profile

velocette

#5 posted 09-02-2009 08:06 AM

to Wyeth,

There are a number of Triton user groups, I have always thought about joining one in the Sydney area, Hills bought out Triton and all seemed to be going OK. I have the early and latest workcentres, stands, biscuit jointer, power saw, big router, extension table, mitre ripping guide, router/ jigsaw table.
So I am pretty fond of their gear, Carba Tech were selling the Triton router cutters really cheap, I bought a heap and was suspicious at the low cost, particularly when they were marked on SPECIAL CLEARANCE ITEMS, that sounded ominous as I had not seen any of the other gear around in the store. I contacted Triton / Hills some time ago to get some of the plastic reducer inserts for the router table and was told to go to BUNNINGS special order section, they said Bunnings were the “official” agents. I will check and se if they still have any Triton products, I recall recently seeing some Super Jaws in the Penrith store so if they are still there will grab them. I was told that the stuff was being manufactured offshore (north of Australia!!).

Maybe that was the problem. Always seems that anything good gets stuffed up when the price becomes an issue.