Video Review: SawStop me if you've heard this one before....

Review by gizmodyne posted 01-29-2008 08:40 AM 15352 views 2 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Video Review: SawStop me if you've heard this one before.... Video Review: SawStop me if you've heard this one before.... Video Review: SawStop me if you've heard this one before.... Click the pictures to enlarge them

Intro
The saw is a 3hp, 635 pound behemoth. It is heavier than sin.

Steel, Black, and Red are a good look for a saw.

Very, very, very, expensive. Over $4000 with all accessories (fence, mobile base, dado cartridge, extra break cartridge, taxes). I know ….. that is really expensive.

(And… I’m over it.)

Why this saw:

I have been taking woodworking classes for the last four years and have grown accustomed to working on the Unisaws and Powermatic cabinet saws. At home I was using a bench top saw. As my skills have grown I knew I was ready for a better saw.

My sweet wife and I have discussed this saw for a long time, and she had encouraged me to get it. Frankly we are very nervous about hospital bills, I play guitar and piano, and like my fingers. I know the brake system is just mitigates risk and does not eliminate it. I am just telling you why I got it.

Also, I love technology and gadgets.

The Big Day
So I sold the Ridgid 2400 and bought this at Eagle Tools. They delivered it the next day already uncrated and sitting in its mobile base. Setup consisted of attaching the fence, extension tables, and rails. Everything was adjusted near perfection at the factory. I had to wire on my own plug.

Video
In the video I take a tour of the saw, explain how the little computer works, but never mention the braking system. You can check that out on their website and in a video on the Rough Cut Blog. The saw sends low voltage through the blade and then monitors the current. If it detects a contact (drop in voltage) it instantly springs a break cartridge into the blade, and drops the blade under the table. Obviously the blade is destroyed along with the cartridge. Cartridges cost $60 U.S. for standard or $80 for dado. Plus you need a new blade.

Conclusions
Very awesome, stable and accurate.
Easily rivals any cabinet saw I have used.
Great fence. Slick base.
Cool computer and brake system.
Plus it’s black.
Not for everyone, I know. But the less expensive contractor version should arrive this year (2008).

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-29-2008 12:15 PM

So, have you tried the wiener test?

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#2 posted 01-29-2008 12:38 PM

John that is truly a sweet saw. It’s probably more saw that most of us could ever justify, but it shouts quality. My understanding of this saw is that if you were to try the wiener test you would have to replace the component (saw stop) – is that true and if so, how expensive is the cut off component (not the finger cut off – but the one that prevents the finger cut off)?

I would have loved to have seen the video of you standing there when the truck pulled up with your saw – Man, that is an awesome feeling getting a new toy – makes you feel all giddy.

Just to give you a reality check – I know you aren’t old enough, but in 1969 I purchased a brand new Chevy Camaro, loaded to the gills, and spent $3100 for it. Now, a man can spend $4000 for a saw – wow, we’ve certainly come a long way :-)). Hope you enjoy using it, it should last a lifetime.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#3 posted 01-29-2008 12:44 PM

Bill – I bet it won’t appreciate in value like that camero though! Was it an SS or RS/SS?

Nice review John.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 01-29-2008 02:20 PM

Whoa! I didn’t realize that something gave if it does have to stop. Makes sense, though.

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#5 posted 01-29-2008 03:37 PM

Great review Giz. Answered some of my questions about the workings.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

#6 posted 01-29-2008 03:44 PM

Cajun; The cartridges run 60 – 80 bucks and have to be replaced if you set them off. I am not interested in doing that test.

View scottb's profile

scottb

#7 posted 01-29-2008 04:31 PM

do they still offer a rebate on replacement if you send in your used cartridges to their lab for testing?

Contractors saw in the works – Niiiice! hopefully the price point will get them into more homes and keep us out of more hospitals…

So glad to hear that is is a Great saw with a great safety feature, not just a safer, but only adequate saw. you still spent waaaay less on that saw than you would have on one surgery – without the added hidden expenses of taking time, and loss of work/productivity into the equation.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

#8 posted 01-29-2008 04:38 PM

Cajun…. I am also amortizing over its lifetime. If I use it for 40 or 50 more years…

View John's profile

John

#9 posted 01-29-2008 04:49 PM

”So, have you tried the wiener test?”
”The cartridges run 60 – 80 bucks and have to be replaced if you set them off. I am not interested in doing that test.”—- not to mention the damage to your weiner (hot dog that is).

Great review – good job on the video!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

#10 posted 01-30-2008 02:02 AM

Thanks for the comments! I’m not putting a hot dog or anything else (other than lumber) near that blade.

#11 posted 01-30-2008 02:47 AM

John: Question. I don’t think I’ve seen asked or answered anywhere.

After you turn off the power switch is the blade still in safety mode. If you touch the blade while taking away some cutoff piece, does it still lockup or are you on your own, wrapping bandages around your weiner!

#12 posted 01-30-2008 03:12 AM

Karson, you can see in the video that the saw monitors the blade even as it is coasting down. It would trigger. If you turn off the red switch that is. If you also turn off the yellow switch you are on you own.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#13 posted 01-30-2008 03:31 AM

Thanks John for the review and answering the questions – What a saw!

Gary, it was a 1969 Camaro SS with the 396 – what a car. I’m finally old enough to own a car with that much POWER. Wish I still had it.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View wildbill903's profile

wildbill903

#14 posted 01-30-2008 02:20 PM

Nice saw, Gizmo; quite a step up from the Ridgid, I assume. After following all your blogs and projects, I’m sure this is a much anticipated addition to your shop. Happy sawing!

View Rob McCune's profile

Rob McCune

#15 posted 01-30-2008 11:02 PM

God I would love one of these. Anyone feel like giving me an interest free loan of, oh, about $4000.

-- Rob McCune