Jet cabinet saw 3no 30" rip

Review by Clk51212 posted 01-22-2017 09:45 PM 3041 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet cabinet saw 3no 30" rip No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Took delivery of my first cabinet saw on monday. Picked up at yrc terminal they loaded it in my truck and off I went. The saw was packed incredibly weLL double cardboard box around the saw and the fence and extension table were shrink wrapped in top. Think the only way they could damage this was to drop it off the dock. I have been a FedEx driver for 20yrs and have seen some ruff looking boxes but this was in fantastic shape. Set up was straight forward wipe the top and extension wings down with some wd40 and on they went no shimming needed. Didnt know the fence rail parts were in the main tube but found them after a bit. Fence went on without a hitch. Blade was out of parallel by .003 couple taps with rubber mallet all set. I had a Vega pro 40 on my old r4512 so the Fence had a bit of a learning cure. Had to adjust nylon set screws to get it to ride just above the table had to adjust the set screws In front to take out The play while it was sliding along the rail. After that was said and done squared it up to the miterslot. Now for the 1 star Deduction. Went to wire the machine and the diagram in the Manuel was totally different then my junction box. Spoke with jet explained

how I had wired it up. There answer yup that sounds right. Flipped the switch nothing. Switched a wire around and it fired right up. What a pretty sound lol. All in all I’m very p!eased with the entire purchase from sale to delivery .

View Kelster58's profile

Kelster58

#1 posted 01-22-2017 10:55 PM

Looks like a great saw. I wanted a Jet but couldn’t afford one. Got a Grizzly instead. I am happy with the Grizzly. I hope you and your Jet saw have many years of enjoyment together.

-- K. Stone “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

#2 posted 01-22-2017 11:32 PM

Was looking at the 690 till the jet went 15% off

View bigJohninvegas's profile

bigJohninvegas

#3 posted 01-22-2017 11:52 PM

Congratulations, Nice Saw. I have been looking at table saws myself. Looks like I am going to have to live with my Ridgid R4512 saw for a couple more years. Have been considering putting a better fence on it. Reading your review, I see you put a vega fence on the same saw I already have. Was it worth it? Debating with myself on spending the money on it, or living with the factory fence. Leaning in the direction of a sawstop. But made two big tool purchases in one year. (Griilzy bandsaw, and a Jet lathe) Got to put brakes on tool spending for awhile.
I have that Ridgid saw tuned up nice, but the fence is always a pain to keep adjusted.

-- John

#4 posted 01-23-2017 12:34 AM

I think the fence upgrade was worth it as far as the trunion i just squared it up to the height of the stock i used most. I bought my fence used craiglst but would have paid full price.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#5 posted 01-23-2017 02:01 AM

simply love that great saw ….looks so nice …but would look better in my shop LMAO :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Julian's profile

Julian

#6 posted 01-23-2017 02:38 AM

You’ll enjoy this saw. I have the same saw for over a year now and it is a pleasure to use.

-- Julian

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#7 posted 01-23-2017 03:10 PM

Big congrats on the new saw. I know that having a really nice saw sitting in the shop for ready use is a huge physical and work-related equipment improvement. And for me it is also a very nice, mental and emotional, positive aspect of the whole shop experience.

What mobile base is on your new saw, please?
I can’t identify that one, and it does not look like the ones that are offered on the Jet Tools website. Thanks, and enjoy the saw.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#8 posted 01-23-2017 03:35 PM

It’s a shopfox 1057a I believe 700lb capacity

View Cato's profile

Cato

#9 posted 09-20-2017 12:10 PM

Congrats! I have the same saw on the Jet mobile base and also bought it when they ran their 15% off sale.
Mine came delivered to my house in the same excellent packaging and the driver kindly wheeled it into my shop.

I’m going on 5 years now and its run flawlessly. Only thing extra I needed to buy for it was a low profile riving knife for non thru cuts. I have the 3hp version and never needed more power. Mine only needed the fence to be tweaked slightly for the way I like it to glide.

You’re gonna love this saw and the dust collection from the blade shroud works great.

Haha, I think I remember looking at the wiring diagram and noticed the discrepancy when I looked at the color coding in the junction box and went with the actual color coding as it was correct and made sense for a 220 hookup. Commercial shops often use 440 3 phase and might explain the discrepancy.