Skil 10 in 15 amp tablesaw

Review by kosta posted 1791 days ago 21378 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Skil 10 in 15 amp tablesaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yo whats up everybody on Wednesday of this week I got my skil tablesaw and I just wanted to give a quick review of it. Now the tablesaw setup will be episodes 40,41,42. In episode 42 I give a quick review of the saw after I make my first cut. Now I have used powermatic, delta/rockwell, jet,and dewalt tablesaws before and this one stood out. For the price I recommend this saw to anyone. The only problem I saw with it was that it didnt have extension wings and I was kinda pissed that it didn’t. When I first opened the box I was like how does it not come with extension wings but after setting it up I didn’t have room for them any way so thats not a real big deal for me anyway. The other problem that was kinda annoying was that the manual had it in English and Spanish I don’t have a problem with that but I do have a problem with the way it was setup. Instead of having 2 different sections it would have 2 pages of English and then 2 pages of Spanish of the exact same thing which made it hard to read. But honestly how often do we setup a tablesaw. I was also impressed that the fence was lined up right on the line. Now most people right now are thinking you got a $115 tablesaw you have to do some work. Well in this case its really minimal. This saw has not extension wings which is a ton of work to get them perfectly lined up. This saw also doesn’t have a very long table so blade alignment problems are minimized. Blade alignment is the most important thing because if your blade isnt lined up right with the fence and the miter gauge then dont even bother trying to build something because your going to be all off. This saw comes with a splitter and a blade guard. The blade guard is hard to see through so I usually lift the guard up because in some cases you need a guard. I also drop it down when im not making cuts so that the blade is not exposed. The fence is a good fence for the price if I could upgrade it I would. The fence and miter gauge both store on the side of the saw. Dust collection is a big deal for me and having a dust port is good the only problem is that the entire underside of the saw is open so all im going to do is put a piece of plywood on the bottom and just hook up my shop vac. I would upgrade the miter gauge if I could but remember this is a starter saw dont expect to get the kind of results you would get from a PM 2000. For the money this saw is great. I might have to do a little more sanding to get the pieces down to the exact millimeter but im ok with that. You dont have the accuracy with this saw that you would with a more expensive saw but nobody I know goes directly from the tablesaw to a glue up so having to spend 5 extra minutes sanding isn’t a big deal. This saw has all the accuracy I need. I do recommend using feather boards because the fence is short and when you are cutting longer boards the board tends to drift away from the fence the last 2 or 3 inches but only on shorter boards. I have seen and kick back happen to an employee of the company and he was scared to death. So using a splitter or a riving knife is not an opting its a must. Kickback can kill you if you have a heart attack or you can bleed internally. So just remember to take every safety precaution you can.

111999 posts in 2175 days

Thanks for the info and review

View Alonso's profile

Alonso

Thanks for your review.

This was my first TS that I got a few months ago until I decide to get a real TS (my R4511)
Unfortunately for me, this TS (skil) was a waste of money period. I totally regret all the money I spent on it, I couldn’t ever aligned properly, it was very noisy, a ton of vibration, in top of that the mitter channel is not standard, so you won’t be able to upgrade to a better mitter gage or a better featherboard.
The table top was cast aluminum, so any magnetic featherboard is not an option either. The fence was one of the few good options that I could remember (still, not even close compare to the R4511).

It looks like it could be a good option for someone that is starting on woodworking (the get the knowledge of how to use a TS at least) but definetely precision is not an option here. Just my .02$

However I hope it fills your needs.

Alonso

-- The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Thanks for the review kosta- you brought up some good points.

curious though – you mentioned that dust collection is not that great, the fence is short, the blade guard is hard to see through, no extension wings, and the manual was hard to use – but even with all these limitations/cons you still gave the saw 5 stars? It just doesn’t make sense to me ;)

Personally for the same $$$ I would look for a cast iron Delta contractor saw on craigslist. or save up a little more for a more stable/precise saw with standard miter slots. I had the Bosch portable saw (4100) which is superb- but even that didn’t quite cut it when it comes to precision and fine woodworking – great for general construction though, and rough cuts.

Just my $0.03

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View GMman's profile

GMman

I am looking for a portable saw too and it is hard to make up my mine with all the reviews, you always want good quality and at a good price.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1115 posts in 1966 days

Stay away from the Skil, it was my first saw too. Worked pretty good until I decided to use something other than pine. 8 months old and went up in smoke when I tried to cut some oak. Bought a Ridgid TS2400 and have never had a single problem with it since 2001. And I don’t use pine for nothing!

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

946 posts in 1952 days

The thing is that the blade guard is not really a big deal and the manual is a 1 time deal but overall I still think that this saw is good because the 2 major things are accuracy and safety there is no way to get around that. As long as its accurate and safe I really dont care if it has extension wings because there are ways of getting around that

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

Kosta,

Glad to hear you are happy with your table saw. I started out with the Black and Decker equivalent years ago. I built shelving, a chicken coop, and did some door trim with it. It did me well for what I paid for it. The bench tops don’t have any bells or whistles like the big cabinet TS’s, but it will serve you well I’m sure. I have since upgraded to a contractor saw, still wishing for something bigger and better.

Now get busy sawing and show us what you can do with it !!

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

My first TS was a Craftsman 10” contractor saw. It had a cast steel table but that’s about all it had going for it! The fence was crap. The motor was crap. The saw was pretty much crap. As your skills grow so does your desire for better quality tools. Now for the past 10-15 years I have the Delta Tilting Arbor Cabinet Saw, and, had I to do it over again, would not buy another.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

946 posts in 1952 days

Yea well they are entry level saws you can do a lot with them well if accuracy isnt a big deal to you. But as far as dropping $2000 for a cabinet saw or even a used one its still a lot of money for someone getting started

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I don’t know….how can you say seriously, that you used a Powermatic, Delta, DeWalt, or Jet and THIS saw stood out? I understand that some people don’t have allot of money to spend on a saw, but this unit doesn’t even belong in the same sentence with Powermatic or Delta. you can do a lot with them well if accuracy isn’t a big deal to you Hmm…I don’t know too many woodworkers that accuracy isn’t a big deal to them. This is a job site saw, plain and simple. It’s accuracy is on a “construction” level. Trying to get a “cabinetmaking” level of accuracy out of it will be a frustrating endeavor at best.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

In all fairness to the Skill, I have used the little Delta benchtop table saw in the past and the Skil pretty much measured up to that thing… Simply put, it’s a $100.00 (ish) table saw new. Nothing more, nothing less.

For what it is, I know guys that can eke some reasonable accuracy on smaller pieces with it. And the guys that have them for the most part are happy with them.

From what I have seen this saw is no better, and no worse than the B&D Firestorm, Ryobi BTS-16, benchtop Delta, or the current Craftsman benchtop model (just a rebranded Ryobi BTS-16). It will do what most guys that buy them for. There are good examples, and lousy examples of all of those models.

I can honestly see a place for saws like this. Especially when you consider guys and gals trying to put together a workshop in an already crowded garage, basement, a tiny shed in the back yard, or even on the balcony of an apartment. (I’ve seen it!)

There are without a doubt things higher classes of saws do all day long without breaking a sweat that this little saw can only dream of. Such as crosscutting full sheets of plywood. And perhaps an owner of such a small saw might want to pass on the dado stack, opting for a router, straight bit, and straight edge approach to cutting dadoes, grooves, and rabbets.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View cobra5's profile

cobra5

4 years ago i bought my fist table saw—-skil-xshop, Ive been happy with it so far, table is alittle small, vabrates alot, have’nt had any proplems with cutting oak yet, recently i aqurided an old 744dw dewalt table saw had to do some work on it. now its my main saw, skill-xshop is used for dado cut only have dewalt on one end of out feed table and skill at the other end [ out feed table is 8’ 4” long works great in my new shop, just have to remember to lower blade on saw not being used when cutting with the other saw.

-- tool time tim aka "cobra5"

View jake's profile

jake

When I starting I was frustrated that everything I read raved over high end tools and I wondered what about the beginner like me without too much money, when your buying everything to start a shop. I started with a Protech (now out of business) that was similiar to the B&d or Skil saws of the time. I had a Skil router, etc. Now I have the high end tools but it took years to aquire. My first tools served me well for a few years and I upgraded as I went. I have a Ryobi BT3100 that I often find uses for, even though I also have a Steel City, full size saw. The Sears has a clone of the Ryobi BT31OO. That saw has a huge following too and there is a website entirely devoted to it, and they produce some nice looking work. It’s loud due to its universal motor and aluminum table but when it’s well tuned it is accurate. I am limited in space so I love being able to grab the lighter saw and tote it to where I am working at the time. Not everyone wants a cast iron saw, just check out the BT3central.com website. I’m glad you got your saw and I hope you post some of your projects to show others what can be done while your using tools that are not the premium ones that are out of reach of so many people.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

Well said Jake.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View rustedknuckles's profile

rustedknuckles

I had that saw way back, some where around 1988, I finally retired it last year. It was finniky to set up and the accuracy was not really cabinet quality, but once I got to know the saw I could make compensations. What actually killed it was running a 3” oak board through it. That sheared the arbor off, a few welds later and it was back in business for another year. It was a real little work horse and paid for its self many times over. I can’t say I’m sorry to see it go, but we did have a kind of “love/hate” relationship. I would definately recomend it as a starter saw or a saw for the budget concious wood worker.

-- Dave- New Brunswick