Useful, but disappointing.

Review by dbhost posted 08-27-2009 09:21 PM 1912 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Useful, but disappointing. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in need of a set of decent countersinks, and my local woodworking retailers BOTH were out of stock on the options they had when I looked, so I went to Amazon, and found this Mibro set. The price was certainly low enough, so I threw it in with a larger order and took advantage of the free shipping offer.

Upon receiving my set, I took the digital calipers to them to verify sizes, and found them to be reasonably accurate within .001” which is certainly acceptable. And thus far with fairly extensive use countersinking several hundred holes I have found a few, annoyances with these.

#1. They did not come in a case. Every single other drill accessory set I have EVER bought had a case, these didn’t. Just a plastic blister pack. Cheap and annoying. I have since drilled keeper holes for these in the mount board I have had for my bought one at a time spade bits… But honestly I can’t over emphasize how irritating lacking a case is to me. They blew it in that regard. I guess that is okay though, I was planning on building a bit organizer for my spade bits which came to me in piecemeal fashion, I can drill the holes for these countersinks right at the front and call it good…

#2. They are only single flute cutters which slows down the potential cutting speed. I have to use the slowest speed setting on my drill press to keep from overheating these. Used in a handheld drill it is almost impossible to control the drill speed to keep these things from getting so hot you cannot touch them without getting burned..

#3. They do not eject waste material particularly well. Particularly when counter sinking in MDF.

#4. And the MOST IMPORTANT problem. They are not particularly sharp. They aren’t dull by any means, but somehow I expected them to be sharper…

These work great if you are just touching a recess for a screw head just below the surface of a work piece, and I am probably out of my mind for expecting them to do this, but using them to countersink for a screw head down into a work piece is no fun, and builds up a LOT of heat.

As infrequently as I use these, I expect them to last a LONG time…

I am not disappointed I bought them, but I know I have to not expect them to do things that maybe a step bit like one of the ones for a pocket screw jig would do… I am however disappointed in the lack of a case for sure.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2021 days

#1 posted 08-27-2009 09:39 PM

I would recommend you use a forstner bit set….they are excellent as counter sinks….they are self cleaning (no backing up and down to clear waste)...and the holes are always clean and the bottom square. I gave my countersinks to a friend of mine for his use and haven’t missed them yet…..Also, the forstners are easily sharpened on a drill master (I would not use this on my expensive set (German made – that I use for quality projects or for drilling out hollow vessels)) and they are fairly inexpensive at HD or Lowes (the cheaper sets are great for doing odd jobs)...they are usually in a box or case, unless you buy single bits, and there is hardly any tear out…even on the crappiest ply…....Just a thought.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#2 posted 08-27-2009 10:02 PM

Is there some reason you would not use these?
perhaps I don’t understand you application.

Perhaps these are more to you likeing?

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#3 posted 08-27-2009 10:04 PM

Nope, no reason. I got stupid and got the ones that were just countersinks. The ones that drill the pilot hole AND do the countersink at the same time are a real time and aggravation saver…

I have an OLD Craftsman version of those, that is honestly, just worn out… One of the same issues though. No case… Cases for these things helps keep me out of having that one more little project before I can get real work done…

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 08-27-2009 10:29 PM

I’ve got most of my assorted bits on drilled lengths of spruce. They fit in various drawers around the shop and at least tell me if one is missing or not.
I am getting rid of most of the store bought holders because the use too much space and many don’t allow me to see what’s inside.

Cheers
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#5 posted 08-28-2009 04:31 AM

Just so you’re aware , the multi cutter countersinks don’t leave as smooth of a hole as do the single cutters. They tend to “chatter”as I’ve found out over the years and many varieties / brands of bits.
The items that Bob has supplied for you are the same style that I now use as well . Can’t go wrong with either the Insty-Bit or Snappy brands …although I think that the Snappy brand comes in a pouch instead of a box nowadays , so you may not like them because of that .

”These work great if you are just touching a recess for a screw head just below the surface of a work piece”
I do believe that you just described what a countersink is supposed to be , otherwise , you need to use a drillbit instead.

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#6 posted 08-29-2009 10:23 PM

Maybe I missed it, but what did the bits cost? I don’t mind less that stellar performance it the price is right.
It really sounds like the thing that bugged you the most was the lack of case, which really has no bearing on usefulness, . I guess I’d rather spend less for decent drills without a case, that to spend up just for a case. Thanks for the review.-SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

#7 posted 08-30-2009 04:16 AM

My problem with no case is that my storage system is oriented around drilling accessories with cases.

They are priced well, and the performance is certainly quite good for the dollars spent.

I believe I mentioned that I am planning on simply adding the appropriate sized holes to tuck the countersinks into when I build the organizer for my spade bits…

View MaxS's profile

MaxS

46 posts in 1945 days

#8 posted 08-30-2009 04:47 AM

Thanks for the single flute cutter warning. I hate those.

-- Socrates: "I drank what?"

View akdale's profile

akdale

49 posts in 1959 days

#9 posted 08-30-2009 09:41 AM

I bought similar single flute cutters. Similar complaint. I then bought the insty set. very nice.

-- Phil 4:13------Our family motto